Oh No, Tell me it Isn't So!!!

30 Aug 2010 15:58 #1 by Nmysys
CBO: Eight Years of Iraq War Cost Less Than Stimulus Act

Published August 30, 2010

As President Obama prepares to tie a bow on U.S. combat operations in Iraq, Congressional Budget Office numbers show that the total cost of the eight-year war was less than the stimulus bill passed by the Democratic-led Congress in 2009.

According to CBO numbers in its Budget and Economic Outlook published this month, the cost of Operation Iraqi Freedom was $709 billion for military and related activities, including training of Iraqi forces and diplomatic operations.

The projected cost of the stimulus, which passed in February 2009, and is expected to have a shelf life of two years, was $862 billion.

The U.S. deficit for fiscal year 2010 is expected to be $1.3 trillion, according to CBO. That compares to a 2007 deficit of $160.7 billion and a 2008 deficit of $458.6 billion, according to data provided by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget.

In 2007 and 2008, the deficit as a percentage of gross domestic product was 1.2 percent and 3.2 percent, respectively.

YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
Ten Worst Places to Live
Employees File Suit Against Coke for Cancelling Their Health Care
EXCLUSIVE: Mayo Says Citi Can't Be Trusted
Don't Want the IRS to Call? Beat them to the Punch
Israel's Leviathan Gas Field May Also Contain Oil

"Relative to the size of the economy, this year's deficit is expected to be the second largest shortfall in the past 65 years; 9.1 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), exceeded only by last year's deficit of 9.9 percent of GDP," CBO wrote.

The CBO figures show that the most expensive year of the Iraq war was in 2008, the year when the surge proposed by Gen. David Petraeus and approved by President Bush was in full swing and the turning point in the war. The total cost of Iraq operations in 2008 was $140 billion. In 2007, the cost of Iraq operations was $124 billion.

According to an analysis by the American Thinker's Randall Hoven, the cost of the Iraq war from 2003-2008 -- when Bush was in office -- was $20 billion less than the cost of education spending and less than a quarter of the cost of Medicare spending during that same period.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Aug 2010 16:52 #2 by Photo-fish
http://www.costofwar.com/

According to a report released by the nonpartisan CBO, the stimulus program increased the real GDP by 4.5 percent in the 2nd quarter of this year and raised the number of jobs by up to 3.3 million in that quarter. The cost of the stimulus program was revised downward to $814 billion through it's course over the next few years.

The costs of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars to date has been $1.09 trillion. Benefits?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

30 Aug 2010 17:00 #3 by Nmysys
Non-Partisan CBO, that is an oxymoron, not you, the whole idea. Do you Liberals think I just make this stuff up?

You will find a dissenting view in any Liberal publication.

Gee, in just 25 minutes, there were 25 views and finally one of you liberals were able to find an opposing article. Weren't you one of the posters that I told not to bother reading what I post if you didn't want to read this stuff? Yup!! Just like LJ. Can't wait to argue over what I post.

30 Aug 2010 17:03 #4 by Scruffy

Nmysys wrote: Do you Liberals think I just make this stuff up?

Yes.

30 Aug 2010 17:06 #5 by outdoor338
Nmysys..ya can't argue with liberals, let's see how much they want to argure in Nov..

30 Aug 2010 18:31 #6 by Scruffy
nice spin, outdoor.....spin spin spin, that's all you do....figured you'd just say the same old thing....

30 Aug 2010 19:18 #7 by major bean
They'll sue in November.

Regards,
Major Bean

31 Aug 2010 06:50 #8 by Whatevergreen

Nmysys wrote: Do you Liberals think I just make this stuff up?

Heck no! That would take original thought, creativity and half a brain. Things that are lacking in almost every thing you post.

Nmysys wrote: Gee, in just 25 minutes, there were 25 views and finally one of you liberals were able to find an opposing article. Weren't you one of the posters that I told not to bother reading what I post if you didn't want to read this stuff? Yup!! Just like LJ. Can't wait to argue over what I post.

Gee in over 12 hours, 90+ have looked and only a few have responded. I guess the other 90 are fed up with your regurgitated blog BS too. If you posted inteligently, you could engage more people in discussion. rofllol Like that will happen....
Your arguments are weak and one needs only to look a bit further into the topic or back into last weeks old outrages to 'refudiate' them.
You expect people to NOT bother reading or respond to the daily ignorance and falsehoods you spew? Who has their head in the sand??? Looks like you, and you only come out to read and repost the latest Rightwing, nutbag, easily disproved and dismissed crap.
Next time I see you post, I will put on my mucking boots as I know there will be plenty of BS to wade through.

Have a day.

31 Aug 2010 06:59 #9 by Nmysys
Whatevergreen:

You don't have to read my posts, you know.

The report says that the 8 year war in Iraq cost less than the Stimulus bill. It is one of the headlines today. I don't make these things up, just read them and post them.

All the arguments are just that, arguments by Liberals who can't believe the truth put out by those who oppose them.

Oh well, without my posts, you people wouldn't have anything to do except keep on spouting the same lines given to all the drive-by media.

31 Aug 2010 07:36 #10 by Rockdoc

Scruffy wrote: nice spin, outdoor.....spin spin spin, that's all you do....figured you'd just say the same old thing....

Other than smart ass comebacks and name calling, do you ever make any useful posts that include viable information. I may not be political in my interests, but I am curious and like to learn. Post something that is worth reading or are you only interested in post counts? Just wondering.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds