USA, We're #11

13 Sep 2010 14:32 #51 by Spykster
Replied by Spykster on topic USA, We're #11

Spykster wrote:

archer wrote:

The Viking wrote: I don't see you as a far left loon who hates this country. Just a confused individual who needs guidance. :biggrin:

And there is the other reason I have been avoiding the posts here....the condescending attitude of the righties here who think they have all the answers, but don't even know the questions.

Sounds kinda like ...you...

Actually, Like my Avatar, I'm swaggering down the lane, looking for fresh progressive/liberal/DemonCrat butt to kick to the side of the road...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Sep 2010 15:59 #52 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic USA, We're #11

Scruffy wrote: Are you sure that the quality of education has dropped? Here in Jeffco, kids are learning stuff we never would have considered in High School 30 years ago. My kids are light years ahead of where I was, but then, I do have an IQ south of 64.

Maybe you are right but the state colleges say they are having to put more high school graduates in remedial classes than ever before. Maybe the remedial kids come from bad school districts like Denver. And this could also be kids are learning a lot of cool stuff but their fundamentals in math and English are suspect.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Sep 2010 17:23 #53 by Spykster
Replied by Spykster on topic USA, We're #11

SS109 wrote:

Scruffy wrote: Are you sure that the quality of education has dropped? Here in Jeffco, kids are learning stuff we never would have considered in High School 30 years ago. My kids are light years ahead of where I was, but then, I do have an IQ south of 64.

Maybe you are right but the state colleges say they are having to put more high school graduates in remedial classes than ever before. Maybe the remedial kids come from bad school districts like Denver. And this could also be kids are learning a lot of cool stuff but their fundamentals in math and English are suspect.

Usually, "bad" school districts, like Denver...are usually bad almost exclusively, because the family structure of the little cherubs is in extremely poor shape, or non-existent. It is almost always inner city type school districts that have that problem. When I went to high school, we had a high percentage of inner city students force fed into the school, and they were largely disruptive and/or absent most of the time. They did on average, very poorly, and a lot of them were force fed through and force graduated from high schools, many after 6 or 7 years, and a lot of them still couldn't read/write. They were force fed into colleges for free, and it was a rude awakening when the college staffs realized that they were going to have to start babysitting 18-24 year old illiterates...IF...they showed up for class...Don't always blame the teachers...a few may be sub-par, but most are at least competent.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds