USA, We're #11

12 Sep 2010 21:06 #11 by archer
Replied by archer on topic USA, We're #11

The Viking wrote: I don't see you as a far left loon who hates this country. Just a confused individual who needs guidance. :biggrin:

And there is the other reason I have been avoiding the posts here....the condescending attitude of the righties here who think they have all the answers, but don't even know the questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Sep 2010 21:15 #12 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic USA, We're #11

archer wrote:

The Viking wrote: I don't see you as a far left loon who hates this country. Just a confused individual who needs guidance. :biggrin:

And there is the other reason I have been avoiding the posts here....the condescending attitude of the righties here who think they have all the answers, but don't even know the questions.

It seems the left lost their sense of humor when they realized how bad they screwed up supporting Obama. We all know that many are embarrassed to say they voted for him but it isn't too late. Get out and vote Republicans into office in November to try and stop your mistake from destorying this country anymore. :thumbsup:

12 Sep 2010 21:23 #13 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic USA, We're #11
If folx would drop the right vs left, liberal vs conservative, Republican vs Democrat crap, it might be possible to have a real debate, instead of all the namecalling and BS.

Think about it.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

12 Sep 2010 21:38 #14 by archer
Replied by archer on topic USA, We're #11

The Viking wrote: It seems the left lost their sense of humor when they realized how bad they screwed up supporting Obama. We all know that many are embarrassed to say they voted for him but it isn't too late. Get out and vote Republicans into office in November to try and stop your mistake from destorying this country anymore. :thumbsup:

And there you have it....telling people what they think and what they should do. I am not embarrassed about voting for Obama...he is still the best man for a very difficult job. Right now I wouldn't vote in a republican corporate whore if he/she was the only name on the ballot. the Republicans this year have shown nothing but disdain for the this country, for decency, and for the rights of it's citizens. It's all about party with them, not about American citizens and what is good for this nation. it sickens me to hear them put down our minority citizens, to deny health coverage to lower income families.....to hope SS and medicare die a painful death.....they are not about improving quality of life for US citizens, only about preserving wealth for themselves. You will tell me I'm wrong......you're good at that....it's my opinion, I am entitled to it....just as you are entitled to yours. But that doesn't make one of us right and the other wrong.....just differing views....both valid. Only you won't see it that way will you viking....you have to be right or i guess your whole belief system would implode.

12 Sep 2010 21:43 #15 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic USA, We're #11

Wayne Harrison wrote: I'm not gonna be surprised. People always vote the bums out. It makes them feel good. But it doesn't really change anything.

We spend a disproportionate amount on military and schools have to have to hold bake sales.

You brag about giving money to the rest of the world... but aren't you against that, as a member of the Tea Party? How can you be against spending federal money and brag about it at the same time?

Don't spend enough on schools? New Jersey spends 17K per student. Awards 4.5% pay raises every year for its teachers. Would you prefer they spend 25K per student? And notice a lot of the countries that have better education than the US spend less per students.

On rating other countries, different people want different things in life. Some treasure security most of all, others freedom, but the US is still quite popular for immigrants, both legal and illegal. Foreign students also choose the US more than other countries.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Sep 2010 21:52 #16 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic USA, We're #11
It appears many of you who commented didn't read the article:

Ask yourself: What made our Greatest Generation great? First, the problems they faced were huge, merciless and inescapable: the Depression, Nazism and Soviet Communism. Second, the Greatest Generation’s leaders were never afraid to ask Americans to sacrifice. Third, that generation was ready to sacrifice, and pull together, for the good of the country. And fourth, because they were ready to do hard things, they earned global leadership the only way you can, by saying: “Follow me.”

Contrast that with the Baby Boomer Generation. Our big problems are unfolding incrementally — the decline in U.S. education, competitiveness and infrastructure, as well as oil addiction and climate change. Our generation’s leaders never dare utter the word “sacrifice.” All solutions must be painless. Which drug would you like? A stimulus from Democrats or a tax cut from Republicans? A national energy policy? Too hard. For a decade we sent our best minds not to make computer chips in Silicon Valley but to make poker chips on Wall Street, while telling ourselves we could have the American dream — a home — without saving and investing, for nothing down and nothing to pay for two years. Our leadership message to the world (except for our brave soldiers): “After you.”

So much of today’s debate between the two parties, notes David Rothkopf, a Carnegie Endowment visiting scholar, “is about assigning blame rather than assuming responsibility. It’s a contest to see who can give away more at precisely the time they should be asking more of the American people.”

12 Sep 2010 22:05 #17 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic USA, We're #11

SS109 wrote: Don't spend enough on schools? New Jersey spends 17K per student. Awards 4.5% pay raises every year for its teachers. Would you prefer they spend 25K per student? And notice a lot of the countries that have better education than the US spend less per students.

The latest figures I could find show NJ spending $12,000 per student, a few hundred dollars more than New York and some other states. Of course, that's averaged from the many school districts in NJ. Unless teachers are paid by the state and not the school district, isn't it impossible for every teacher in the state of NJ to be given the same raise, since they all work for different districts and have different contracts with the districts. I don't know. I'm just asking.

The article points out that a big part of the problem is apathy on the part of students. We don't seem to hold learned people in high regard in the U.S.

13 Sep 2010 00:47 #18 by Spykster
Replied by Spykster on topic USA, We're #11

HEARTLESS wrote: Wayne, there is positive in nearly all things. Now those that hate our country have 10 other countries to move to. :thumbsup:

I guess Wayne will be packing his cloth bundle, hanging it off a stick, slinging it over his shoulder, and hitting the bricks...

13 Sep 2010 00:47 #19 by Spykster

archer wrote:

Sounds kinda like ...you...

13 Sep 2010 00:48 #20 by Spykster

The Viking wrote:

archer wrote:

It seems the left lost their sense of humor when they realized how bad they screwed up supporting Obama. We all know that many are embarrassed to say they voted for him but it isn't too late. Get out and vote Republicans into office in November to try and stop your mistake from destorying this country anymore. :thumbsup:

Huzzah !!! Huzzah !!! I can't stand either party, but the DemonCrats have to go into the ditch with Barry O's economy and keep it company...

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds