Dear Angry American, Joining Tea Party NOT Your Only Option

23 Sep 2010 17:00 #41 by PrintSmith

LadyJazzer wrote: So, the message is: "Don't mess with MY Social Security", and "Don't mess with MY Medicare", and "Don't mess with MY Medicaid"--but I'm concerned about the "excess spending" on YOU...

Got it.

Just don't gore MY ox... The hypocrisy is so thick you could cut it with a knife.... Yep, PS is right...I could sit and watch "compassionate conservatism" for hours...

Actually LJ, I think it should be my (and your) ox that is gored with regards to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. The first thing one needs to do when they've royally screwed up is admit it and take the consequences that go along with the screw up. When we're talking about Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid, the responsible parties for screwing it up would be the Baby Boomers and the generation that came before us since those were the two generations that derailed the train by promising more than the system could deliver and hoping that their posterity was willing to swallow the hardships for those actions. I can't see a reason that our children and our grandchildren, who are only now entering the stages of their lives where they are starting to invest in the Ponzi schemes, started and perpetuated by those that came before them, should have to worry about the $107.5 Trillion worth of unfunded liabilities that their parents and grandparents are attempting to saddle them with. They should get a fresh start and be the generations that begin to have their retirement contributions reserved for themselves in their old age rather than depending upon the generations that follow them to be as dumb as we were and continue to invest in the Ponzi for most, if not all, of our adult lives.

We are the ones who screwed up, so we are the ones who should have to put up with the hardships that result from that screw up when we are old. The only thing that would be unconscionable would be to do the same thing our parents and grandparents did to us, which was to saddle the taxpayers with a tax that doesn't even begin to cover the cost of the benefits that are supposed to be received at the other end of the line. That is why we need to get Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid and all the rest of the failed social welfare programs out of the federal budget and get back to having the federal government address that small segment of responsibility that is clearly outlined for it in our Constitution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Sep 2010 18:33 #42 by Wayne Harrison

travelingirl wrote: And how about this one?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

Seriously, does that quote really sound like someone speaking in the 18th Century?

It wasn't Thomas Jefferson who said it, it was Gerald Ford in the 20th Century.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=4694

Gerald Ford Address to a Joint Session of the Congress.
August 12, 1974

"Whether we like it or not, the American wage earner and the American housewife are a lot better economists than most economists care to admit. They know that a government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

He lost the election.

23 Sep 2010 18:57 #43 by HEARTLESS
Wayne, that qoute is credited to both depending on whom you believe. I'm just not sure Gerald Ford ever had an original thought.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

23 Sep 2010 19:24 #44 by Blazer Bob

SS109 wrote: It will be interesting to see what talk radio has to say about Jon Stewart's event. .

I think it will be interesting to see how much trash they will leave littering the street, but then i am easily amused.

23 Sep 2010 19:56 #45 by Wayne Harrison
Well all you have to do is find where Jefferson said it or wrote it. I found where Gerald Ford said it. If he was quoting Jefferson, you'd think he'd give him credit, but then we are talking about Gerald Ford.

Like I said the sentence doesn't sound remotely like something someone in the 18th Century would say.

23 Sep 2010 20:30 #46 by Spykster

HEARTLESS wrote: Wayne, that qoute is credited to both depending on whom you believe. I'm just not sure Gerald Ford ever had an original thought.

All Gerald Ford was good for was bouncing golf balls off people's heads...They named an Aircraft Carrier after him...The " U.S.S. Lost At Sea ".

23 Sep 2010 21:23 #47 by ScienceChic

SS109 wrote: Actually I think TEA party members are all over the place. Some don't want their benefits like Medicare messed with. But others are only concerned about excess debt and spending.

It will be interesting to see what talk radio has to say about Jon Stewart's event. I think Stewart is tired of being snarky and actually wants to support the Left more strongly, maybe even running for office.

He has said emphatically that he will NOT run for office.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39305516/ ... rtainment/

But he does seem to be stepping up his support for the left...
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/t ... interviews
[youtube:966wms01]
[/youtube:966wms01]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Sep 2010 21:34 #48 by The Viking

Spykster wrote:

HEARTLESS wrote: Wayne, that qoute is credited to both depending on whom you believe. I'm just not sure Gerald Ford ever had an original thought.

All Gerald Ford was good for was bouncing golf balls off people's heads...They named an Aircraft Carrier after him...The " U.S.S. Lost At Sea ".

Don't let the left spin you off on another deflection so they don't have to face reality. Can't believe a thread is about the Tea Party and Wayne is trying to have people search for quotes. They really are trying hard to ignore reality. Don't bite on it.

23 Sep 2010 21:45 #49 by Wayne Harrison
Viking, you posted you loved the quote. I just get suspicious when someone slaps a "Thomas Jefferson" on a quote to make it sound more believable.

The Viking wrote:

travelingirl wrote: Add this one to that list:

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

Love that one. And our government has gotten so big in the last few years that they could take everything from us if they wanted.

Regarding your first post, I seem to recall you predicting the polls were wrong and McCain/Palin would win the last presidential election.

23 Sep 2010 21:52 #50 by The Viking

Wayne Harrison wrote: Viking, you posted you loved the quote. I just get suspicious when someone slaps a "Thomas Jefferson" on a quote to make it sound more believable.

The Viking wrote:

travelingirl wrote: Add this one to that list:

Love that one. And our government has gotten so big in the last few years that they could take everything from us if they wanted.

Regarding your first post, I seem to recall you predicting the polls were wrong and McCain/Palin would win the last presidential election.

You are making people's head spin. Where the hell did that one come from? And I would love for you to find that post. I am almost positive I never said that. But what does that have to do with this thread?

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds