Tell us about your religion

28 Sep 2010 11:46 #2 by ScienceChic
I'm sorry, that's just hilarious! From the blog of one of my favorite writers/scientists:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... ion_go.php

"I have heard many times that atheists know more about religion than religious people," Mr. Silverman said. "Atheism is an effect of that knowledge, not a lack of knowledge.

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
— Isaac Asimov, in 1966 (quoted in Yours, Isaac Asimov, p. 316)

If you want to see the survey for yourself: http://www.pewforum.org/uploadedFiles/T ... nnaire.pdf

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Sep 2010 12:44 #3 by LadyJazzer

Science Chic wrote: "Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
— Isaac Asimov, in 1966 (quoted in Yours, Isaac Asimov, p. 316)

I've always thought so... :biggrin:

28 Sep 2010 13:10 #4 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Tell us about your religion
Oh ye of none or little faith!

28 Sep 2010 13:27 #5 by FredHayek
I know my religion pretty well, 16 years of religious schooling, but was always amazed how little people knew about their faith especially the ones going to public schools. I know it would probably be judged illegal but I think a comperative faith class should be offered in public high schools. I know we studied other faiths in Catholic high school and college.

Irony? After all those years of studying Catholicism I wound up being a deist.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

28 Sep 2010 13:45 #6 by bailey bud

You answered 15 out of 15 questions correctly
for a score of 100%.

(note: The site timed out a lot on me)

I think there's a difference between knowing the cultural and historical context of faith - and knowing the tenents of your faith. This survey quizzes respondents about the former.

That said, I DO know a few fellow Christians who would be ignorant about the context, as well as content of their beliefs - but would be perfectly happy standing on the street corner shouting "repent - Turn to Jesus." Okay - which way do I turn? The reply to that question likely yields more directions than there are points on a compass (and that's only counting the replies from Baptists).

28 Sep 2010 15:38 #7 by homeagain
THIS pretty much sums it up from my POV.........GOD IS TOO BIG TO FIT INTO ONE RELIGION........or better yet," We are ALL spiritual
beings having a PHYSICAL experience." :wink:

28 Sep 2010 15:46 #8 by Local_Historian
We were discussing this earlier, different place.

Few comments you all might like - not endorsing any, just providing them for fodder.

These polls rarely show the masses to be knowledgeable about anything. There are, of course, individuals who know very much, but the great bulk of humanity is never going to score well on these things. What i took away from this religion survey is that it has proven what we humans have known to be true for centuries: religion -- like most pursuits -- is filled with hypocrites.

Religious and non-religious alike. Atheists/agnostics largely failed this test, too, and I imagine their knowledge is rooted in the same stunted search for something with which they already agree -- and they stop thinking about their opposition as soon as they've defined themselves as "atheist" or "agnostic." If they truly understood what they claim to oppose, they would have scored much higher than they did. Thus, the hypocrisy isn't confined to the faithful.

I think many in a religion stop researching their own religion once they find what justifies the beliefs/prejudices they already have. They don't really *want* to know anymore because that might mean they have to change. It's a way of trying to avoid responsibility. At least that's my opinion.

28 Sep 2010 18:52 #9 by major bean
The most provocative question, religious or not, is "Why am I conscious?".
It is a subpart of its parent, "Who am I".

Regards,
Major Bean

28 Sep 2010 20:55 #10 by pineinthegrass
Amazing! I got 15 of 15 correct!

Not that I study religion or know much. I think I'm more into history.

But I'll admit I was just lucky. One question was a pure guess (Great Awakening). And about 3 others were guessing between Hindu and Buddist.

Been a crummy week. Thanks for letting me gloat! :thumbsup:

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds