Tell us about your religion

29 Sep 2010 12:07 #21 by Spykster

Scruffy wrote: My religion is Bundyology.

:thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Sep 2010 12:23 #22 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Tell us about your religion

Spykster wrote:

Scruffy wrote: My religion is Bundyology.

:thumbsup:

:biggrin:

30 Sep 2010 11:57 #23 by homeagain
Spyk......OMG,we agree! What a good post..JMO

30 Sep 2010 12:04 #24 by homeagain

Spykster wrote:

bailey bud wrote:

Spykster wrote: Religion is a crutch for the weak of mind, and a crutch for those that look like howdy doody...hey wait a minute... that's a pair of crutches for the howdy doody looking fella...I follow no religious belief system.

Fair enough - but do you understand the beliefs of those that DO follow a religious belief system? (That's what the Pew quiz is about)

No problem. I respect anyone's right to believe any set of beliefs they want, as long as they don't try to jam it down my throat like my born-again cousins always try to do. The one I'm conerned with is radical islam, which has hijacked what appears to have been a once somewhat legitimate belief set. More problems are blossoming in Europe over them as I type this message. :Crying:

WHAT a great post.......as one practicing Muslim stated"It's akin to Identity Theft"......and he went on to lament that
the problem is like trying to resolve/correct/rectify your Fica score and cc statements because EVERYONE thinks you are the
lame person who ran amok purchasing the high end,expensive items that appeared on YOUR credit card.

30 Sep 2010 12:15 #25 by BuyersAgent1
I was raised Unitarian.
Unitarians have two "requirements" for those participating, and no others (e.g., no commonly accepted deity, spiritual force or form of worship):
1. The faith should have a humanitarian goal.
2. The faith should not change as conditions do (God loves me when things go well, not when they don't).
Most Unitarians were like my parents: former members of religions they didn't find totally comfortable.
Without being aware of it, we raised both our daughters to be classic Unitarians as sure enough, they consider it "none of their business" what somebody else believes, and have total respect for everyone's ability to make this essential life choice.

My pet "religious" peeve: people who don't let their kids participate in Hallowe'en because it's "the devil's holiday." Please. If you sanitize kids' experiences this way, you have to be sure they never watch the Wizard of Oz, read many fairy tales, or otherwise have any fun at all.
Similarly, people who see "the devil" in everyday experiences, people or animals are suffering from a mental illness imho.

30 Sep 2010 12:59 #26 by theleaf
Replied by theleaf on topic Tell us about your religion
I'm what used to be called a "Jesus freak". lol I am pro-spiritual, and anti-religious, like I believe he was.

Who I am should naturally, and effortessly show care, understanding, and acceptance.

I am not able, nor permitted to judge another's actions. I should be too busy examining my own heart.

God is a pretty big guy, and famous, too. He goes by many, many names. To assume that the name I call him is the only correct one is arrogant.

If every day is an awaking,
you will never grow old.
You will just keep growing.

30 Sep 2010 13:09 - 30 Sep 2010 13:21 #27 by BuyersAgent1
I chose to be baptized when I was 18 and planning to marry a Catholic.
Since I'd not experienced any "religious rituals" before, it was "a whole experience" to join in the Mass and other spiritual activities. I gained a lot from them, and from a new Relationship I'd not previously enjoyed. My parents supported that choice.

One of our daughters recently married into a very "religious" family and community, one of those with a "history" others have questioned. On the premise articulated by Designs, we said -- Congratulations, and welcome, son, to our family.

Now I have a brand-new son, still have our daughter! -- but not a formerly dear family friend, who was so stuck on the "history" of the young man's religion that she cut off her friendship with our daughter in punishment for her choice. Yup, told the kid if she married the man, they would not be welcome at the friend's home! This friend considers herself a "good member" of "another religion" but imho is missing a really big boat (from here, it appears to be the one Designs does not have any trouble seeing).

30 Sep 2010 13:20 #28 by Spykster

homeagain wrote:

Spykster wrote:

bailey bud wrote:

Spykster wrote: Religion is a crutch for the weak of mind, and a crutch for those that look like howdy doody...hey wait a minute... that's a pair of crutches for the howdy doody looking fella...I follow no religious belief system.

Fair enough - but do you understand the beliefs of those that DO follow a religious belief system? (That's what the Pew quiz is about)

No problem. I respect anyone's right to believe any set of beliefs they want, as long as they don't try to jam it down my throat like my born-again cousins always try to do. The one I'm conerned with is radical islam, which has hijacked what appears to have been a once somewhat legitimate belief set. More problems are blossoming in Europe over them as I type this message. :Crying:

WHAT a great post.......as one practicing Muslim stated"It's akin to Identity Theft"......and he went on to lament that
the problem is like trying to resolve/correct/rectify your Fica score and cc statements because EVERYONE thinks you are the
lame person who ran amok purchasing the high end,expensive items that appeared on YOUR credit card.

Exactly...one of the main problems we have in this country is that while there are many decent muslims here in this country, we are having some severe problems with the radicals here - some, homegrown. We really got lucky with the ineptitude of the last two attacks - The Fruit of Kaboom " moron, and the one from Times Square. Unfortunately, we will not be able to stop them all, and we will get hit again. What disturbs me is you don't see a lot of the "decent" muslims take a hard stand in this country against what the "radicals" are doing. Are they complicit by there silence? Every country they emigrate to is having major problems with them. Overall, in the interest of the safety of the American Citiizenry in this extremely unstable world, we need to have a moritorium on immigration based on that political religion, because of it's destructive phenomena, until we can find a way to successfully screen applicants who want to come to this country. Our safety is paramount, over the percieved rights of those who may want to come to this country and do us harm - these types have no rights despite what the progressive/liberal/DemonCrats and the aclu say,- and we need protection from them. They are not now or ever were worth the spilling of so much as one drop of American blood. Now, ahead of the hateful, personal attacking posts sure to follow, if you feel so strrongly in their favor, you could always move to Dearborn,Michigan, and put your money where your mouths are.jmho

30 Sep 2010 13:23 #29 by Spykster

homeagain wrote: Spyk......OMG,we agree! What a good post..JMO

10 - Q !!! I usually get attacked by several folks because of posts like this, but the attackers usually don't take the time to understand the posts, or are so consumed with hate and rectal gas that they are just looking to attack anyone who disagrees with them. I don't believe in PC, and I'm direct and to the point. Someone will always know where I stand... :Whistle

30 Sep 2010 13:28 #30 by Spykster

Aspen Leaf Designs wrote: I'm what used to be called a "Jesus freak". lol I am pro-spiritual, and anti-religious, like I believe he was.

Who I am should naturally, and effortessly show care, understanding, and acceptance.

I am not able, nor permitted to judge another's actions. I should be too busy examining my own heart.

God is a pretty big guy, and famous, too. He goes by many, many names. To assume that the name I call him is the only correct one is arrogant.

Hello my little cumquat !!! I was hijacked into the Catholic faith when I was two weeks old, therefore I was not allowed to exercise my right to self determination. I don't agree with them or their tenets, but they can do what they want as long as they leave me alone. I even went so far as to try to get myself officially excommunicated from the church, but they have been deliberately uncooperative...next step...a letter to the Pope... :thumbsup:

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds