Tell us about your religion

30 Sep 2010 13:38 #31 by BuyersAgent1
"....you don't see a lot of the "decent" muslims take a hard stand in this country against what the "radicals" are doing. Are they complicit by there (sic) silence?"

No, Spike, they are practicing their peaceful "religion," and identifying others as not really being part of it. Enforcing any moratorium on the basis of true spiritual beliefs is a blatant rejection of everything "spiritual" to begin with. Possibly the devil's details in this case relate to the definition of "religion" itself.

In any event, like Designs, I prefer to put my spirituality into the Positive and specifically into identifying flaws in myself instead of others. At the Snowmass Monastery near Aspen, Mom bought several little collections of Grand Statements written by authors as varied as Shakespeare, Goethe and Mozart; these were called Springs of Joy, Springs of Love, Springs of Faith, etc. Among these writings are naturally my little favorites:
The first by Theodor Fontane: "Only one thing matters -- that wherever we go, and however we go, we hear the music of life."
And the other attributed to Gottfried Keller: "More or less sad are finally all those who are aware of things beyond questions of daily bread; but who would wish to live without this sadness, deep and still, without which there is no true joy."

True spirituality transcends the daily arguments, especially political ones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Sep 2010 13:43 #32 by Spykster

BuyersAgent wrote: "....you don't see a lot of the "decent" muslims take a hard stand in this country against what the "radicals" are doing. Are they complicit by there (sic) silence?"

No, Spike, they are practicing their peaceful "religion," and identifying others as not really being part of it. Enforcing any moratorium on the basis of true spiritual beliefs is a blatant rejection of everything "spiritual" to begin with. Possibly the devil's details in this case relate to the definition of "religion" itself.

In any event, like Designs, I prefer to put my spirituality into the Positive and specifically into identifying flaws in myself instead of others. At the Snowmass Monastery near Aspen, Mom bought several little collections of Grand Statements written by authors as varied as Shakespeare, Goethe and Mozart; these were called Springs of Joy, Springs of Love, Springs of Faith, etc. Among these writings are naturally my little favorites:
The first by Theodor Fontane: "Only one thing matters -- that wherever we go, and however we go, we hear the music of life."
And the other attributed to Gottfried Keller: "More or less sad are finally all those who are aware of things beyond questions of daily bread; but who would wish to live without this sadness, deep and still, without which there is no true joy."

True spirituality transcends the daily arguments, especially political ones.

That's very nice, and all that, but, as for myself, the hard core physical reality of the situation dictates that I'm not willing to possibly get blown up just for the sake of niceness or P.C...I think as a good public relations effort, maybe the decent but silent muslims should start publicity campaigns and have their voices heard. Their religion does not mandate that they have to remain silent...They don't have to be accusers or name people to have their voices heard.

30 Sep 2010 13:51 #33 by BuyersAgent1
...but it does suggest to them that confrontation is not part of their path.

Whatever efforts are taken, I don't think you'll see them forthcoming from true followers, they'll more likely have to come "from the outside" instead and this is appropriate imho, given the fact that these other sects are not really aligned with the Muslim religion itself. The issues are political, not religious, in origin.

My mother's parents fled Russia to escape religious persecution. Being identified and controlled on the basis of one's "religion" is a perilous path to be on. Fatal, even.

30 Sep 2010 14:09 #34 by Spykster

BuyersAgent wrote: ...but it does suggest to them that confrontation is not part of their path.

Being identified and controlled on the basis of one's "religion" is a perilous path to be on. Fatal, even.

Whatever they say doesn't even have to be confrontational...Good works projects, instituting multi-faith centers for religious services and multicultural social gatherings...The second part...To the radicals, it's them or us...I'd rather it be them. I still would like to err on the side of caution to protect the physical well being of American Citizens...To not do so is a perilous path to be on, one that will ultimately prove fatal to American Citizens, and that simply is not acceptable.

30 Sep 2010 14:27 #35 by PrintSmith
FWIW Spykster, The Church doesn't excommunicate anyone, people excommunicate themselves. The Church never excommunicates anyone, it is always a self imposed state. I just thought you should know that in case you were unaware of it.

30 Sep 2010 14:41 #36 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Tell us about your religion

PrintSmith wrote: FWIW Spykster, The Church doesn't excommunicate anyone, people excommunicate themselves. The Church never excommunicates anyone, it is always a self imposed state. I just thought you should know that in case you were unaware of it.

Really? Isn't that like saying it's your fault for getting shot because you stepped in front of a bullet?

30 Sep 2010 15:04 #37 by BuyersAgent1
I think it's like saying that only you can believe.

I certainly wouldn't want to pose my parents as being total good sports when I made my 18YO decision to become a member of "organized religion." In fact, the look that passed Mom's kind face was a little like what your mouth does when you bite into a really sour pickle. lol But darnit, they supported my choice and that was what mattered, after all I did not ask them to live without opinions or accept mine as their own.

30 Sep 2010 15:25 #38 by ComputerBreath
15 out of 15 correct. Born and grew up Roman Catholic, but I've since re-formed and studied a lot of history and different forms of faith.

As far as I am concerned, religion is very different than spirituality. And most religious people are zealots or hypocrites...JMHO

30 Sep 2010 15:46 #39 by Spykster

PrintSmith wrote: FWIW Spykster, The Church doesn't excommunicate anyone, people excommunicate themselves. The Church never excommunicates anyone, it is always a self imposed state. I just thought you should know that in case you were unaware of it.

I've read that they do excommunicate people for certain reasons...I'm trying to determine what they are...

30 Sep 2010 15:51 #40 by PrintSmith

Scruffy wrote: Really? Isn't that like saying it's your fault for getting shot because you stepped in front of a bullet?

It's more along the lines of the Church recognizing what is already apparent.

There are some fundamental elements of faith that are necessary to be a member of the communion of the Church, one of which is the virgin birth of Christ. If you renounce the virgin birth of the Savior, then you really don't share in the faith, you have removed, or excommunicated, yourself from the Church by virtue of your renouncing that fundamental tenant of the religion. The Church simply recognizes that you have chosen to do so. It has not cast you aside, you have removed yourself from it.

I hope that explains it in a way that makes sense.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds