Tell us about your religion

01 Oct 2010 09:26 #51 by Nobody that matters
I see a pastor more as a teacher than a ruler or facilitator. Pastors are supposed to know more about religion - they are supposed to be 'learned' men and women.

They should be well versed in religious doctrines, and help people to understand what faith means. Of course, they're going to subscribe to one faith themselves and be biased towards it.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Oct 2010 09:54 #52 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Tell us about your religion

TPP wrote: "Religion is control, faith is freedom!" - Steve Seidenfeld

Religion is control, I agree. But I think faith is the absence of reason. What else can you call the belief in things, which can never be proven, by people that are normally very rational?

01 Oct 2010 10:00 #53 by Nobody that matters

Scruffy wrote:

Religion is control, I agree. But I think faith is the absence of reason. What else can you call the belief in things, which can never be proven, by people that are normally very rational?

Faith has always been an answer to the unknown, and it always will be. That's not a bad thing. It's a comfort.

01 Oct 2010 10:02 #54 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Tell us about your religion

dmcdd wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

Faith has always been an answer to the unknown, and it always will be. That's not a bad thing. It's a comfort.

True, but I still maintain that faith is not a rational activity in an otherwise rational world.

01 Oct 2010 10:06 #55 by theleaf
Replied by theleaf on topic Tell us about your religion
Yes, I see what you're saying, dmcdd. A pastor/priest/rabbi/etc, chooses to pursue their calling, rather than a career. This is their job, and they are responsible for it.

What I'm thinking of would be more like Sunday School, or better, a Bible study group.

I do maintain that a minister should not tell us what to believe, but, rather, help us work out our own beliefs. Non-clegy are responsible for ourselves. I do not believe God would tell somebody else to tell me what I should do or believe. "We no longer need a high priest." "All phone lines are open." lol

As a lay person, I believe my responsibility is to deal with the 2' x 8' x 10' in my own eye, rather than the splinter in anybody elses eye.

If every day is an awaking,
you will never grow old.
You will just keep growing.

01 Oct 2010 10:09 #56 by Nobody that matters

Aspen Leaf Designs wrote: Yes, I see what you're saying, dmcdd. A pastor/priest/rabbi/etc, chooses to pursue their calling, rather than a career. This is their job, and they are responsible for it.

What I'm thinking of would be more like Sunday School, or better, a Bible study group.

I do maintain that a minister should not tell us what to believe, but, rather, help us work out our own beliefs. Non-clegy are responsible for ourselves. I do not believe God would tell somebody else to tell me what I should do or believe. "We no longer need a high priest." "All phone lines are open." lol

As a lay person, I believe my responsibility is to deal with the 2' x 8' x 10' in my own eye, rather than the splinter in anybody elses eye.

We're in agreement, and to the bold part, I'll give a big ol' Aaaaaaaaaaaamen! :biggrin:

01 Oct 2010 10:10 #57 by theleaf
Replied by theleaf on topic Tell us about your religion
Faith is believing things that cannot be seen. For example, I can see strong indications of an intelligent creator, but you're right, Scruffy, I cannot prove it.

If every day is an awaking,
you will never grow old.
You will just keep growing.

01 Oct 2010 10:11 #58 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Tell us about your religion
Scruffy:

Do you have faith in your reasoning? Faith is exactly that, faith. I imagine that when we die, we will discover whether or not our faith was warranted. If our faith in our God is a reality, we will miss you folks that chose not to have faith. If not, then we will all just be dead and gone. I, for one, choose to have faith in God. No other explanation is necessary, don't think that I am better than anyone else, nor do I try to convince others to feel the way I do.

Bless you!!

01 Oct 2010 10:17 #59 by Nobody that matters

Nmysys wrote: Scruffy:

Do you have faith in your reasoning? Faith is exactly that, faith. I imagine that when we die, we will discover whether or not our faith was warranted. If our faith in our God is a reality, we will miss you folks that chose not to have faith. If not, then we will all just be dead and gone. I, for one, choose to have faith in God. No other explanation is necessary, don't think that I am better than anyone else, nor do I try to convince others to feel the way I do.

Bless you!!

Personally, I like to believe that I'm going to meet athiests in heaven that decided to do good deeds just for the sake of the smiles generated. Those athiests are going to be very happy they decided to do good rather than evil. :biggrin:

01 Oct 2010 10:29 #60 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Tell us about your religion
Dmcdd:

I see merit in your answer, and there very well may be Atheists in Heaven. I'm not certain I want to go to heaven. I might have trouble making new friends. JUST KIDDING!!!!

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds