BP Oil Spill Updates

30 May 2010 08:56 #31 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
I'm not sure of this. It was my interpretation that the loss was formational in nature given that the junk and what mud went into the hole failed to do the job. I have not viewed the video stream (poor science on my part of not collecting all the data) so my comments need to be reconsidered in light of your observation.

The only good news for BP is that they are sitting on top of one productive field/well. I sure hope they can cap this and put and end to the flow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 May 2010 08:57 #32 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
The Week magazine pointed out this week that the Obama administration has cleared for approval 15 new offshore oil drilling permits in the gulf. Speaking out of both sides of their mouth? Or maybe trading permits for something else?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

30 May 2010 09:16 #33 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
UPDATE: Top Kill failed miseriably, we are now officially in containment mode, the 3rd and most deadly option. This process will take betweem 4 to 7 days to get everything in place. My opinion? Oil will continue to leak until the relief wells are fully operational. I now grade this as the biggest enviromental desiater of all times. My source told me that BP only wanted to drill one relief well but Obama made them drill two..

30 May 2010 09:37 #34 by UNDER MODERATION
More thoughts: Everyone knows I am an amateur weatherman with a weather station on my roof that's connected to my computer. As an amateur weatherman I know that hurricanes strengths are directly proportional to the temperatures of the water that are traveling over. In layman's terms, the higher the temperature of the water, the stronger the hurricane, and conversely the lower the temperature of the gulf, the weaker the hurricanes are. Even small temperature changes of 5 or 6 degrees can dramatically strengthen storms...Now, Knowing that- What's going to happen when the entire Gulf of Mexico turns into black top? I think we will be looking at temperature rises in the order of 25 to 50 degrees, and mega hurricanes this fall. This is particulary concerning for me because my parents own a luxury condo on Estero Island Florida, and it's being willed to me. I wonder if it will even be there next year.

31 May 2010 10:19 #35 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
Currently cutting something on the live feed - http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_interne ... tream.html

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

31 May 2010 10:22 #36 by Rockdoc
I can't get the feed to open for me. Likely because of the firewall I'm sitting behind (not mine).

Hope against all hope that they get a cap on that thing. I've got a bad feeling about this though.

31 May 2010 10:32 - 16 Jul 2010 09:27 #37 by UNDER MODERATION
I was just about to update this: The containment process is underway. It's never been tried before, but crews hope to lower a 1000-ton concrete-and-steel box a mile under the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday to cut off most of the millions of gallons of oil spewing from a blown-out well.

If it works, and I think it will to some degree the system could collect as much as 85 percent of the oil that's been spouting from the ocean floor. Hopefully, it will work better than they expect. I feel that it won't solve the problem altogether, it's what we in the business call a stop gap measure until the relief wells are fully operational- Those will take the pressure off the blown out well at the site, and I'm estimating that the wells can do that in or around september 5th depending on the type of sub strata they encounter..If they hit solid rock the relief wells may not be fully operational until October. Cross your fingers friends

I suggest they try to cap it- That process could concievably be achieved by mid July in my opinion.

31 May 2010 10:34 #38 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
It is enough of a challenge doing that kind of work in a well lighted area, standing on solid ground, with the tools in your hands. I can't imagine trying to do it 5000 feet down in water, via robots!

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

31 May 2010 10:39 #39 by Rockdoc

jf1acai wrote: It is enough of a challenge doing that kind of work in a well lighted area, standing on solid ground, with the tools in your hands. I can't imagine trying to do it 5000 feet down in water, via robots!

Exactly. The technology is awesome, the challenges immense. Let's hope they can mange it, somehow some way. At least this time, I think they will be able to avoid the ice build up with the sea water circulation system.

Anyone have information about the horizon producing this gusher?

31 May 2010 10:41 #40 by UNDER MODERATION

jf1acai wrote: It is enough of a challenge doing that kind of work in a well lighted area, standing on solid ground, with the tools in your hands. I can't imagine trying to do it 5000 feet down in water, via robots!

They do have their work cut out for them don't they..I've been ingaged in an email exchange with Kent Wells (excuse the pun) from BP and he can't speak highly enough about the workers on site

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds