Holy War in No. Carolina City!

07 Oct 2010 14:37 #1 by Nmysys
National Interest
Private Protests Held in N.C. City Over Removal of Christian Flag From War Memorial

By Meghan Baker

Published October 07, 2010

| FoxNews.com

Residents CoResidents of a North Carolina town are flying the Christian flag from private buildings and homes in a sign of protest following a decision by town leaders to remove the flag from a town memorial after being threatened by an ACLU lawsuit.

Residents CoResidents of a North Carolina town are flying the Christian flag from private buildings and homes in a sign of protest following a decision by town leaders to remove the flag from a town memorial after being threatened by an ACLU lawsuit.

A holy war is brewing in a small North Carolina city, where the Christian flag seems to be flying everywhere.

A meeting of the King, N.C., City Council was packed on Monday with dozens of citizens who asked city officials to put the Christian flag back up at the local Veterans War Memorial. The council had voted to take down the flag rather than spend the estimated $200,000 to $300,000 it would cost to fight the American Civil Liberties Union in a First Amendment lawsuit.

FULL STORY:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/07/aclu-threatens-lawsuit-nc-town-does-remove-christian-flag-war-memorial/?test=latestnews

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Oct 2010 15:05 #2 by outdoor338
ACLU, is doing more harm then good. This town has to get some guts to take on the ACLU. :soldiers: :fwave: :usa:

07 Oct 2010 15:22 #3 by Something the Dog Said
So how do you feel about the attorney who was jailed by a judge for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance? Should you not have a first amendment right not to recite it?

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/10 ... f=aponline

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

07 Oct 2010 15:32 #4 by Scruffy
How would you feel if a family member was buried there that was not of the Christian faith?

From the article:

The ACLU says it fully supports the residents' right to free speech, but “there is a critical difference between private religious speech and government religious-based speech, which the government forbids,” Parker said.

Lynn added, "When the government puts up the symbol of one faith, they are leaving out so many that have served our country."

Why are Christians insisting that the Christian flag be flown in the cemetery? Will they put up a flagpole for the Jewish flag? The Muslim flag? The Satanist flag?

07 Oct 2010 15:59 #5 by LadyJazzer
"Dear God: Please protect me from your followers."

It really gets tiresome.

07 Oct 2010 16:18 #6 by Jonathan Hemlock
My God. people, get a handle on your emotions. Its not as if Christianity were an eyesore, its more of a fact that our nation was founded upon it. Go and protest, it may make you feel as if you are contributing to the furutre generations of our country.

It may make you think you are a Patriot. It may help you think you are contributing to the overall benefit of those that actually take charge, are responsible citizens and do something to improve our country rather than sit back and 'bitch' about those who are doing something.

And, by the way, God bless you!

07 Oct 2010 16:23 #7 by Scruffy

Jonathan Hemlock wrote: My God. people, get a handle on your emotions. Its not as if Christianity were an eyesore, its more of a fact that our nation was founded upon it. Go and protest, it may make you feel as if you are contributing to the furutre generations of our country.

It may make you think you are a Patriot. It may help you think you are contributing to the overall benefit of those that actually take charge, are responsible citizens and do something to improve our country rather than sit back and 'bitch' about those who are doing something.

And, by the way, God bless you!

Would you please post your evidence that this country was founded on Christianity?

07 Oct 2010 16:51 #8 by outdoor338
The Mayflower Compact was the first governing document of Plymouth Colony. It was written by the colonists, later together known to history as the Pilgrims, who crossed the Atlantic aboard the Mayflower. Almost half of the colonists were part of a separatist group seeking the freedom to practice Christianity according to their own determination and not the will of the English Church.[citation needed] It was signed on November 11, 1620 (OS)[1] by 41 of the ship's one hundred and two passengers,[2] in what is now Provincetown Harbor near Cape Cod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower_Compact

07 Oct 2010 16:54 #9 by Nmysys
I have many times declared that I am not a Christian, but I posted the OP so I will attempt to explain why. This particular city had banded together in apparent solidarity to declare that thy are not going to be cowed by the ACLU that represents a small minority into not being able to declare that they are Christians.

As a follower and believer in the Jewish Faith, I see no problem that Christians want to display their flag for Christian Deceased Veterans, and if one of the Veterans was Jewish, there would therefore be no reason why the flag representing the Jewish Faith could not be displayed.

This movement of Atheists and Agnostics that fights against the religious freedom of other people and faiths is an attempt to only represent their side of the argument, which IMO deprives those of Faith to be able to practice theirs. Maybe the Atheists and Agnostics should create their own symbol or flag to display for those veterans who had no faith, rather than fight against a freedom that was part of the creation of this country, the right to religious freedom.

No, Scruffy, I have no argument with anyone displaying the symbol of their faith, only with those who try to take away the right of those who have faith, in whatever their religious belief is.

07 Oct 2010 16:54 #10 by Scruffy
That's not the foundation of the country, Outdoor. That's some immigrants that wanted to create their own community, not a country.

BTW - if Moss doesn't produce this Sunday, I think it might be ovre for Favre.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds