Holy War in No. Carolina City!

10 Oct 2010 08:07 #41 by Jonathan Hemlock
Yes, I also think this thread will sadly turn bad but, I thought I'd add a cents worth of sense.

I would like to add that I, like most people, do believe in the separation of Church and State. No citizen or congregation throughout the history of the world, has benefited from the State and the Church combining forces to govern. But, if the discussion will remain focused on the question if America was founded on Christian values, it can be demonstrated that the initial intent of the majority of the settlers was to establish Post-Reformation Christian Communities and that for a long time after, the newly formed National Government readily acknowledged God and in some cases Christ specifically, in many of its documents.

The Constitution doesn't because the Founding Fathers recognized it was not government's place to establish a National Religion but that it must act to protect the freedom to exercise one's right to practice the religion of choice. Entities like the ACLU however, have stretched this concept to broadly include literally anything thought to be a 'religion'. I recently read of the efforts of the ACLU to challenge a schools attempt to stop a student from wearing a nose-ring, under the pretense that the student is a member of the Church of Body Modification.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Oct 2010 19:01 #42 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Holy War in No. Carolina City!

outdoor338 wrote: ACLU, is doing more harm then good. This town has to get some guts to take on the ACLU. :soldiers: :fwave: :usa:

Id love it if muslims moved into a part of park county and suddenly became a 51% majority and started electing muslim sherrifs, judges and started putting muslim stuff all over the courthouses, schools and police stations...

You guys would love the ACLU (your civil liberities, AKA your rights) then wouldn't ya!

This is not a some whacko "majority rules" country, it's a democracy, it was founded on a seperation of CHURCH and STATE- and if you don't like it, leave...

10 Oct 2010 19:19 #43 by navycpo7

Vice Lord wrote:

outdoor338 wrote: ACLU, is doing more harm then good. This town has to get some guts to take on the ACLU. :soldiers: :fwave: :usa:

Id love it if muslims moved into a part of park county and suddenly became a 51% majority and started electing muslim sherrifs, judges and started putting muslim stuff all over the courthouses, schools and police stations...

You guys would love the ACLU (your civil liberities, AKA your rights) then wouldn't ya!

This is not a some whacko "majority rules" country, it's a democracy, it was founded on a seperation of CHURCH and STATE- and if you don't like it, leave...

If the "majority does not rule", Congress sure made you a liar. There the majority rules.

10 Oct 2010 19:23 #44 by UNDER MODERATION

navycpo7 wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

If the "majority does not rule", Congress sure made you a liar. There the majority rules.

They didn't teach you much about government in the Navy did they?

10 Oct 2010 21:08 #45 by navycpo7
They didn't have to, it is simple the Democrats have been the ones to approve most of what has happened in Congress, in other words the Majority rules.

Guess you didn't learn much in school.

10 Oct 2010 22:46 #46 by Travelingirl
This is not a some whacko "majority rules" country, it's a democracy, it was founded on a seperation of CHURCH and STATE- and if you don't like it, leave...[/quote]

Actually, the USA is a republic. Being the republic that we are, it prohibits those "whacko majorities".

"In the Pledge of Allegiance we all pledge allegiance to our Republic, not to a democracy. "Republic" is the proper description of our government, not "democracy." I invite you to join me in raising public awareness regarding that distinction.

A republic and a democracy are identical in every aspect except one. In a republic the sovereignty is in each individual person. In a democracy the sovereignty is in the group.

Republic. That form of government in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people, either directly, or through representatives chosen by the people, to whome those powers are specially delegated. [NOTE: The word "people" may be either plural or singular. In a republic the group only has advisory powers; the sovereign individual is free to reject the majority group-think. USA/exception: if 100% of a jury convicts, then the individual loses sovereignty and is subject to group-think as in a democracy.]

Democracy. That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or indirectly through a system of representation, as distinguished from a monarchy, aristocracy, or oligarchy. [NOTE: In a pure democracy, 51% beats 49%. In other words, the minority has no rights. The minority only has those privileges granted by the dictatorship of the majority.]"

http://www.1215.org/lawnotes/lawnotes/repvsdem.htm

:fwave:

11 Oct 2010 04:48 #47 by UNDER MODERATION

travelingirl wrote: Actually, the USA is more of a republic. Being the republic that we are, it prohibits those "whacko majorities".

"Republic" is the proper description of our government, not "democracy." I invite you to join me in raising public awareness regarding that distinction.

Thanks for the backup TG...It's refreshing to discuss things with an inteligent republican for a change

And thats not gonna happen, raising public awareness to the Seperation of church and State, and the reasons for it is a much more pressing and important issue than the word we use to describe our form of government.

Thanks again though

11 Oct 2010 06:14 #48 by Jonathan Hemlock
I'm outta here! This is what I meant by how quickly this thread could go bad. Bye, Bye!

Thanks to Vice Lord!

11 Oct 2010 09:17 #49 by 2wlady
Yes, this country was "founded on religion."

Roger Williams was kicked out of Massachusetts because of his religious beliefs. Maryland was a haven for Catholics because they weren't tolerated in other colonies. Jews were persecuted mercilessly because - well, because European heritage carried over and they hated Jews. Pennsylvania was populated by Quakers, among others, because they were killed for their beliefs in England.

And that's one of the reasons the Constitution of the U.S. cited that religion and government not merge.

11 Oct 2010 09:21 #50 by LadyJazzer
And why it is specifically written into the Constitution that there be "no religious test" for the office of President of the United States... I think if they had wanted a theocracy, they would have crafted the Constitution to make it clear that's what they wanted.

They didn't.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds