Holy War in No. Carolina City!

07 Oct 2010 16:57 #11 by Scruffy

Nmysys wrote: I have many times declared that I am not a Christian, but I posted the OP so I will attempt to explain why. This particular city had banded together in apparent solidarity to declare that thy are not going to be cowed by the ACLU that represents a small minority into not being able to declare that they are Christians.

As a follower and believer in the Jewish Faith, I see no problem that Christians want to display their flag for Christian Deceased Veterans, and if one of the Veterans was Jewish, there would therefore be no reason why the flag representing the Jewish Faith could not be displayed.

This movement of Atheists and Agnostics that fights against the religious freedom of other people and faiths is an attempt to only represent their side of the argument, which IMO deprives those of Faith to be able to practice theirs. Maybe the Atheists and Agnostics should create their own symbol or flag to display for those veterans who had no faith, rather than fight against a freedom that was part of the creation of this country, the right to religious freedom.

No, Scruffy, I have no argument with anyone displaying the symbol of their faith, only with those who try to take away the right of those who have faith, in whatever their religious belief is.

But there is nobody trying to take away their right to practice their religion. The ACLU just wants them to remove their flag on a government cemetery. Do you really think that is an infringement on their right to practice their religion? What about those servicemen buried there that were atheists? Why should a religious flag fly over their graves?

I propose that religion stay on private property and off of government property.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Oct 2010 17:17 #12 by Nmysys
Does that mean that you propose to take down all the crosses on tombstones in Arlington National Cemetery? If it is done, it will most likely be done over my dead body.

You and your ilk might very well find that to be a battle that you cannot win, which is exactly what I wrote earlier. What gives you, atheists and agnostics, the right to dictate what everyone else in this country does? Seems like just another example or the Elites claiming that they know better than the rest of us sheeple.

07 Oct 2010 17:18 #13 by outdoor338
scruffy, I consider that the starting point of this great nation, so IMHO its the foundation that our founding fathers built upon. I had two decendants on the Mayflower, George Soule and Peter Brown.

Moss, will do very well, I'm sure farve will be extremely happy with someone who wants to catch the ball.

07 Oct 2010 17:34 #14 by Scruffy

Nmysys wrote: Does that mean that you propose to take down all the crosses on tombstones in Arlington National Cemetery? If it is done, it will most likely be done over my dead body.

You and your ilk might very well find that to be a battle that you cannot win, which is exactly what I wrote earlier. What gives you, atheists and agnostics, the right to dictate what everyone else in this country does? Seems like just another example or the Elites claiming that they know better than the rest of us sheeple.

ilk? That's a fun word. Let me try it on for size: "You and your ilk, Nmysys, want to shove religion down everyone's throats!" Wow - that's fun!

If it was up to me, then yes, take out the tombstone crosses from those that were not of the Christian religion. Otherwise, each grave is sacred and the religious tombstone can remain. If it were up to me. But it's not.

However, flying a religious flag over the cemetery? That's a bit different. Why not be happy that there is an American flag flying there? Why do you want to have a Christian flag?

I do not understand why people do not see that the imposition of religion on community owned property is offensive to those that do not have a religion.

07 Oct 2010 17:38 #15 by Scruffy

outdoor338 wrote: scruffy, I consider that the starting point of this great nation, so IMHO its the foundation that our founding fathers built upon. I had two decendants on the Mayflower, George Soule and Peter Brown.

Moss, will do very well, I'm sure farve will be extremely happy with someone who wants to catch the ball.

That's really cool, Outdoor. I've never met anyone that was a Mayflower descendant.

However, why stop there? The foundation of this great nation goes back even farther. Why aren't we flying the flag of the Cherokee or Ute nations?

You may consider the Plymouth Rock moment as the foundation of the country, since your family started then, but the country was actually founded in 1776 with the Declaration, and it was not founded in any way, shape or form on the Christian religion.

07 Oct 2010 20:00 #16 by Nmysys
I didn't say I wanted a Christian Flag, I said it should be allowed as part of the Freedom of Religion, Just because you don't have any faith in anything but yourself doesn't give you a right to stop others from having their belief.

I said that if people want to have a Christian Flag or a Star of David they should be allowed to have it. I also said that you have the right to create a flag showing that you have no faith. No one is trying to shove their religion down your throat, you and others like you (Ilk) are so scared of those who do. If you are right, then you have nothing to fear, but if you are wrong
?

07 Oct 2010 21:49 #17 by Ronbo

Scruffy wrote: But there is nobody trying to take away their right to practice their religion. The ACLU just wants them to remove their flag on a government cemetery. Do you really think that is an infringement on their right to practice their religion? What about those servicemen buried there that were atheists? Why should a religious flag fly over their graves?

I propose that religion stay on private property and off of government property.

The atheist can place their own flag over the memorial. They should not deny other religons to honor those that died. It is the constitutional rights that protect those that want to practice their religon.

07 Oct 2010 23:32 #18 by AV8OR
Everywhere this is a SMALL handful of people that will try and infringe THEIR rights on the majority. The majority always loses to these WHINE BABYS!

You know what? It is time to kick POLITICAL CORRECTNESS in the FUC*ing TEETH!

08 Oct 2010 09:23 #19 by Scruffy

Ronbo wrote:

Scruffy wrote: But there is nobody trying to take away their right to practice their religion. The ACLU just wants them to remove their flag on a government cemetery. Do you really think that is an infringement on their right to practice their religion? What about those servicemen buried there that were atheists? Why should a religious flag fly over their graves?

The atheist can place their own flag over the memorial. They should not deny other religons to honor those that died. It is the constitutional rights that protect those that want to practice their religon.

I've rethought this, and have come to the conclusion that since it is a cemetery, it's probably okay to display flags from various religions. (BTW, I don't think the atheists have a flag.) Cemeteries are a place where we honor the dead and whatever symbol of faith, or non-faith, they want to display is fine.

I react to religion because it has been forced on me all my life, by my former school, parents, siblings, relatives, friends, etc. I really don't want to see it in our community spaces, as I think that is a form of endorsement. I'm against public prayer in school, displaying the 10 Commandments in publicly owned locations (school, courts, government buildings) and I wish we would take god off our money. If ever there was an endorsement of a deity by the government, that is surely the finest example. Not everyone claims trust in god, and if it is on my money, I really don't have much choice there, do I? Talk about forcing religion on people who don't want it!

I don't see it as political correctness, but more an acknowledgment that not all people think as the majority of Americans, so please don't force your religion on me.

That's my rant and I'm sticking with it. You can call me a whiney baby, but hey, at least I changed my mind on the cemetery thing, right?

08 Oct 2010 10:19 #20 by Cat Crap Hill
What's a Christian Flag?

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds