Corporate profits way up, quality of life for us, way down

19 Jan 2011 21:06 #1 by UNDER MODERATION
Corporate profits are way up people..I don't see any of it trickling down, do you?

We didn't get the second bill of rights here in America but a few weeks after this speech Japan and Germany did because we wrote it right into their constitution- and their standard of living today is far superior to ours. Higher weages, shorter work days, more vacation time and sick pay, much lower personal debt, lower crime, less poverty, free healthcare, better pensions etc etc etc etc
[youtube:3lbbb67v]
[/youtube:3lbbb67v]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jan 2011 07:25 #2 by FredHayek
It doesn't sound like you are hurting. If you want some of those corporate profits, you can buy stock in the corporations, you could have bought them at budget prices a couple years ago.
And more ordinary people own stocks now than they did in the 60's and 70's because of the 401K plans and IRA's so a lot of that money is going out or helping people's balance sheets.

Or would you prefer corporations risk their stockholder's money on dangerous gambles when the economy is still looking weak? Lets hire 1000 new employees even though we have no work for them.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Jan 2011 07:39 #3 by Pony Soldier
VL's right. The damned corporations are running everything including the government. This is even more blatant now since the Citizens United ruling came out of that wholly owned subsidiary of corporate America, the SCOTUS.

20 Jan 2011 08:36 #4 by cydl
VL is right on this one. The corporations are robbing us blind, both economically and socially, just as they did when the railroad robber barons and the mining thugs ran the country. The stock market, in my opinion, is one big Ponzi scheme. Us little folks put money into IRAs and 401Ks (because the corporations sucked up retirement plans) and then the big guys raid it all and we start over again. Some assert that a totally free market will adjust itself, but I don't buy it. A totally free market will simply serve the greedheads and make the rest of us slaves.

20 Jan 2011 08:40 #5 by Mayhem
This is your brain

This is your brain on medical mj

towermonkey wrote: VL's right. The damned corporations are running everything including the government. This is even more blatant now since the Citizens United ruling came out of that wholly owned subsidiary of corporate America, the SCOTUS.

Ladyjazzer - Wise lady of 285Bound

20 Jan 2011 08:42 #6 by Grady

Vice Lord wrote: Corporate profits are way up people..I don't see any of it trickling down, do you?

[youtube:2gzg86y2]

[/youtube:2gzg86y2]

I don't suppose you have an actual source?

20 Jan 2011 08:48 #7 by Mayhem

Grady wrote:
I don't suppose you have an actual source?

Sure he does. He's been reading Jared Loughner's writings.

20 Jan 2011 08:53 #8 by FredHayek

cydl wrote: VL is right on this one. The corporations are robbing us blind, both economically and socially, just as they did when the railroad robber barons and the mining thugs ran the country. The stock market, in my opinion, is one big Ponzi scheme. Us little folks put money into IRAs and 401Ks (because the corporations sucked up retirement plans) and then the big guys raid it all and we start over again. Some assert that a totally free market will adjust itself, but I don't buy it. A totally free market will simply serve the greedheads and make the rest of us slaves.

My stock market holdings have done very well over the past 20 years and have more than recovered from the hiccup a couple years ago. Looks like you invested in the wrong companies, try to find growing small and medium sized companies in niche markets.

Or are you just spouting Olberman talking points?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Jan 2011 09:24 #10 by LadyJazzer

Fox News hosts tell Buffett to "quit lecturing" the rich
November 23, 2010

Fox News figures seized on Warren Buffett's comment that "people at the high end -- people like myself -- should be paying a lot more in taxes" to attack him and other millionaires who support ending the Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthy. Fox has repeatedly defended the tax cuts for the wealthy and has accused Democrats of engaging in "class warfare" for wanting to return the top two income tax rates to 2000 levels.

Millionaires, including Warren Buffett, call for expiration of Bush tax cuts for wealthy

Buffett wrote: Buffett: "[P]eople at the high end -- people like myself -- should be paying a lot more in taxes." During an interview with ABC News, Buffett, chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, expressed support for ending the Bush-era tax cuts for households making more than $250,000. Buffett stated, "I think that people at the high end -- people like myself -- should be paying a lot more in taxes. We have it better than we've ever had it." Buffett also addressed the claim that the wealthy "energize business and capitalism," saying: "The rich are always going to say that, you know, just give us more money and we'll go out and spend more and then it will all trickle down to the rest of you. But that has not worked the last 10 years, and I hope the American public is catching on."

Fox figures attack Buffett, "Patriotic Millionaires" campaign

Neil Cavuto's "common sense" on "Patriotic Millionaires": "Quit lecturing." During his "Common Sense" segment on his Fox News show, Neil Cavuto slammed the "Patriotic Millionaires" campaign for wanting "to get creamed by Washington," telling Buffett and the other millionaires to "quit speaking" for the nation's top 2 percent of earners. He added: "And while you're at it, quit speaking for even millionaires now. Maybe they're against paying more now, not because they can't afford to, but because they simply don't want to." Cavuto concluded: "Quit lecturing."

http://mediamatters.org/research/201011230022

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds