Corporate profits way up, quality of life for us, way down

20 Jan 2011 15:49 #41 by Mayhem

LadyJazzer wrote: Spoken like a true rightie... Not a clue about families that need jobs to survive...

The Constitution guarantees everyone the right to the "pursuit of happiness" not the right to happiness. Lazy useless America hater. How come you lefties always want to ignore Darwin when it doesn't jive with your warped views but embrace him if his opinions are in line with your hate of Judeo-Christian beliefs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jan 2011 16:07 #42 by Pony Soldier
Here's a good article for ya Teddy. Or are you going to say that Ike was a commie marxist leftist stalinist pig?

On Jan. 17, 1961, President Dwight Eisenhower gave the nation a dire warning about what he described as a threat to democratic government. He called it the military-industrial complex, a formidable union of defense contractors and the armed forces.

Eisenhower, a retired five-star Army general, the man who led the allies on D-Day, made the remarks in his farewell speech from the White House.

As NPR's Tom Bowman tells Morning Edition co-host Renee Montagne, Eisenhower used the speech to warn about "the immense military establishment" that had joined with "a large arms industry."

Here's an excerpt:

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist."
Since then, the phrase has become a rallying cry for opponents of military expansion.

Source: YouTube
Eisenhower gave the address after completing two terms in office; it was just days before the new president, John F. Kennedy, would be sworn in.

Eisenhower was worried about the costs of an arms race with the Soviet Union, and the resources it would take from other areas — such as building hospitals and schools.

Bowman says that in the speech, Eisenhower also spoke as someone who had seen the horror and lingering sadness of war, saying that "we must learn how to compose differences not with arms, but with intellect and decent purpose."

Another concern, Bowman says, was the possibility that as the military and the arms industry gained power, they would be a threat to democracy, with civilians losing control of the military-industrial complex.

In his remarks, Eisenhower also explained how the situation had developed:

"Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of ploughshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions."
The difference, Bowman says, is that before the late 1950s, companies such as Ford built everything from jeeps to bombers — then went back to building cars. But that changed after the Korean War. <snip>

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/17/132942244 ... ears-later

20 Jan 2011 16:11 #43 by pineinthegrass

Baileyboy wrote: The Constitution guarantees everyone the right to the "pursuit of happiness"

Where does the Constitution mention the "persuit of happiness"?

20 Jan 2011 16:27 - 20 Jan 2011 16:48 #44 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Corporate profits way up, quality of life for us, way down

LadyJazzer wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Stocks are trickling down profits.

How elitist... Forget about working for a living, or having a job that will feed your family... Yeah, that's it! EVERYBODY should be invested in the stock market! But only if you know how to invest wisely! There ya go... Instant profits, and no employment hassles...

Dang! I should alert the Media and let them know! All those unemployed folks just don't "get it"! The stock-market is the answer to ALL of their troubles!

Oh, THANK YOU!!!!

lol ...Thats his plan for America?

20 Jan 2011 16:31 #45 by Beeks
Funny, I always thought that "Trickle Down Economics" was about corporations and businesses paying less taxes, and investing their savings in their businesses, creating more jobs and increasing our collective prosperity. Now I find out that it's all about creating profits and dividends to funnel into the pockets of those that can afford to invest in the stock market. Stupid me....

20 Jan 2011 16:36 #46 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Corporate profits way up, quality of life for us, way down

Beeks wrote: Funny, I always thought that "Trickle Down Economics" was about corporations and businesses paying less taxes, and investing their savings in their businesses, creating more jobs and increasing our collective prosperity. Now I find out that it's all about creating profits and dividends to funnel into the pockets of those that can afford to invest in the stock market. Stupid me....

Lol...Good one

20 Jan 2011 16:40 - 20 Jan 2011 16:50 #47 by UNDER MODERATION

LadyJazzer wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Stocks are trickling down profits.

How elitist... Forget about working for a living, or having a job that will feed your family... Yeah, that's it! EVERYBODY should be invested in the stock market! But only if you know how to invest wisely! There ya go... Instant profits, and no employment hassles...

Dang! I should alert the Media and let them know! All those unemployed folks just don't "get it"! The stock-market is the answer to ALL of their troubles!

Oh, THANK YOU!!!!

The next time I give the homeless vetran holding a sign on the corner of Wadsworth and Hamden $5 i'm gonna tell him that I don't want him buying food with this money-I want him to invest it in the stock market. Problem solved! He should be off the streets in no time

20 Jan 2011 16:48 #48 by Mayhem

pineinthegrass wrote:

Baileyboy wrote: The Constitution guarantees everyone the right to the "pursuit of happiness"

Where does the Constitution mention the "persuit of happiness"?

The Supreme Court declared in 1897, the Constitution is the body and letter of which the Declaration of Independence is the thought and the spirit, and it is always safe to read the letter of the Constitution in the spirit of the Declaration of Independence.

20 Jan 2011 16:53 #49 by Beeks
In other words, you made a mistake, should have attributed the quote to the Declaration, but you can't admit that you are wrong.....

20 Jan 2011 17:09 #50 by Mayhem

Beeks wrote: Funny, I always thought that "Trickle Down Economics" was about corporations and businesses paying less taxes, and investing their savings in their businesses, creating more jobs and increasing our collective prosperity. Now I find out that it's all about creating profits and dividends to funnel into the pockets of those that can afford to invest in the stock market. Stupid me....

A corporation is bound by laws created by the govt. Their sole purpose is to operate a business to generate a profit for the investors. They are not social programs. Nowhere are they required to create jobs for anyone. If their activity pursuing profit generates jobs directly or indirectly, all well and good. It isn't required by law, but reality proves it does.

Don't believe everything you think, or were told to think. If you think trickle down doesn't work go ask all those retailers and service providers who cater to the folks of Wall Street, what their 2009 Holiday revenues were like when all the bonuses were frozen or blocked. Ask those who provide services to the investors what happens to their businesses when their customers have a good year vs a bad year.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds