Corporate profits way up, quality of life for us, way down

20 Jan 2011 18:08 #61 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Corporate profits way up, quality of life for us, way down

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Stocks are trickling down profits.

How elitist... Forget about working for a living, or having a job that will feed your family... Yeah, that's it! EVERYBODY should be invested in the stock market! But only if you know how to invest wisely! There ya go... Instant profits, and no employment hassles...

Dang! I should alert the Media and let them know! All those unemployed folks just don't "get it"! The stock-market is the answer to ALL of their troubles!

Oh, THANK YOU!!!!

You are welcome. Oh, please do alert the media
Most of us have to work for a living and I imagine most people have held a job at one point or another. This thread is about those profitable corporations isn't it and that they are to blame for all the ills in America. Damn, I should have known that they are responsible for making sure that everyone in America is doing well. Perhaps, it's time to ask the question why jobs are going overseas instead of to American workers. Likely it's because they can't compete.

What I said, and you chose to snip, is that those profitable corporations are run by smart people who know how to invest wisely. No one said that all men are created with equal smarts, a willingness to take risks, or for that matter apply themselves, But, that is what your view is all about. Regardless of the differences, you want everyone to be on equal footing and therefore make those who take the risks, and have the smarts responsible for those who don't have it. Yep, that is the way to make America number one again and solve all those problems.

And thank you for recognizing me as an elitist. You haven't got a clue who I am or how I got to be who I am.

Rock Doc, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jan 2011 18:10 #62 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Corporate profits way up, quality of life for us, way down

Baileyboy wrote:

Beeks wrote: I imagine you could look to Roe v. Wade, though I'm not familiar enough with it to know exactly what the text of the decision is. I believe that it's geared more toward the concept that the government can't prevent a woman from doing as she wishes with her own body rather than guaranteeing the "right" to abortion, but perhaps I'm wrong. Can you point to a court decision that explicitly addresses the right to pursue happiness? Isn't "happiness" a bit vague and subjective?

I already cited the court said the two were inextricably bound together. The second document affirming the first. If you feel that is to vague, take it up with them.
They said it.

BaileyBoy, when you find yourself in a hole, Stop Digging!

20 Jan 2011 18:14 #63 by Mayhem

Vice Lord wrote:

Baileyboy wrote:

Beeks wrote: I imagine you could look to Roe v. Wade, though I'm not familiar enough with it to know exactly what the text of the decision is. I believe that it's geared more toward the concept that the government can't prevent a woman from doing as she wishes with her own body rather than guaranteeing the "right" to abortion, but perhaps I'm wrong. Can you point to a court decision that explicitly addresses the right to pursue happiness? Isn't "happiness" a bit vague and subjective?

I already cited the court said the two were inextricably bound together. The second document affirming the first. If you feel that is to vague, take it up with them.
They said it.

Said the board con law retard.

20 Jan 2011 19:15 #64 by Beeks
I'm just glad that Teddy will never again use the argument that we should reduce corporate taxes as a means to create jobs.....

20 Jan 2011 19:41 #65 by UNDER MODERATION

Baileyboy wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Baileyboy wrote:

They said it.

Said the board con law retard.

Beeks is making a monkey outta you- Retreat and regroup

And P.S. I never claimed to be a Constitutional Law Scholar

20 Jan 2011 21:20 #66 by FredHayek

Beeks wrote: And if the corporations simply followed laws and regulations that were set by the government, I might buy it. But, we don't live in a vacuum. The process of establishing those laws and regulations (way too many of them, I think we can agree on that) is influenced to a huge degree by those same corporations, or by the former executives and CEO's that are now in the employ of the government. Your say that their sole purpose is to make a profit for their investors, but they will play the "we create jobs and help the economy card" whenever it's convenient to them.

Yeah, sorry, "trickle down" doesn't work on the larger scale. Didn't work for Reagan, and hasn't worked for anyone since. Just because some NY caterers do well when corporate profits are up isn't an indicator that TD is sound economic policy.

Actually trickle down when we are talking about jobs does work. If you compare our unemployment rate with Europe, Europe has many more unemplyed than the US does. I know this is hard to believe with how bad Obama's unemployment numbers are, but non-trickle down Europe has unemployment in the double digits all the time.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Jan 2011 21:29 #67 by archer
I'm thinking the conservatives have a bad case of stockholm syndrome.....they look to the corporations and Republican party to save them, when those are the very entities that have enslaved them.

20 Jan 2011 21:32 #68 by Pony Soldier
Doesn't make sense SS109 - the United States has a higher corporate tax rate than any European country with the exception of Germany who's corporate tax rate is equal to the US. If trickle down works so well, they would have lower unemployment than us.

20 Jan 2011 21:38 #69 by Beeks
How does that work, we hear over and over that the U.S. has the highest corporate tax rates in the world? If your theory were to work, then Europe (where corporate taxes are allegedly lower) would have a greater corporate investment back into their businesses, and a corresponding rise in employment.

Look, I'm not the anti-corporate jackass that Teddy thinks I am, I have money in the market too. Corporate profits vs. continued investment vs. job growth vs. quality of life is way more complicated than I can get my hands around. But, there does seem to have been a change over the past decade or two that emphasizes profits above all else, no matter what the harm to the economy and to the workers and their families. Is it my imagination that there used to be more of a balance, and a correlation between corporate profitability and employee prosperity?

20 Jan 2011 21:41 #70 by Local_Historian
Interesting the talk of stocks. You do realize a great majority of the people don't have that extra money to spend on such a luxury? Yes, playing the stocks is a luxury and always has been- the average guy can't do it, doesn't have the knowledge, doesn't have the cash, and has often been taken advantage of by those who do know. Don't talk about penny stocks - that was nice for people to feel like they were "playing the market" but the yield is always low at best - if there is a yield. Few of those become meaningful stocks. And to play with meaningful stocks, you have to set aside money from other things.

Simple fact - lots of people set aside that money to buy the groceries right now.

News is full of articles about how there is job growth, but it's so slow, the turtle looks like he's going mach 3. News is STILL full of corporate abuse of funds - just last week, Pinnacol was in the news for their big party and then next one they had planned. CEOS still make enough money to hire at least 3000 more workers in their companies and factories. Big name companies are still shutting places down - and moving them as someone pointed out - but that's false growth and we all know it.

There is no political side here to be able to read the news and to realize that a large part of the country is still in financial trouble. To claim that it's a liberal or conservative issue is just crap - it's all our issues. Or were people not paying attention the last time the stocks took a major dive? Or the fact that the DOW has been over 11k for many months now, and the job growth is not even a 32nd of what the job market was before the nosedive, because companies want to report the same as always profit margin. because the big companies are hoarding the money.

The people don't matter. Sooner we ALL realize it and accept that you, me, your uncle Bob and his pack of tiny yappy dogs don't matter, the sooner we stop arguing among ourselves - which is what they want- and get on to going back to a better way of doing things. What is that exactly? Not sure, but there have been good ways that were discarded all in the name of profit.

yes, most of us work. Yes, most of us have felt the sting the last few years, some a lot more than others.

Perhaps it's time to pay attention when the braggard of the group, the man who supposedly has it all,supposedly is rich beyond the richest here, starts to post his worries and concerns.

maybe it's tine to not listen so much to the words, but who's saying it and why.

Beeks - not your imagination in the least - cause that was within our lifetimes.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds