sadness

11 Jan 2011 16:52 #91 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic sadness

normalwhyner wrote: It might help also if people were a little kinder and nicer - if I were a part of IMHS, I would be scared to post here...........why is everyone so nasty to them?

Everyone? You'll note I supported their actions, not once but twice. Plus I have offered to donate things. Several other people have spoken in support of them as well. Yes, overgeneralizations like this are a pet peeve of mine, and I get annoyed by them and will call people out on them.

In the meantime - thank you IMHS representatives for all the answers and responses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jan 2011 16:53 #92 by Norm
Replied by Norm on topic sadness
Sorry - you're right - Why are so MANY mean to them?

11 Jan 2011 16:58 #93 by Local_Historian
So many? Again, an overgeneralization - I count out of the posts made here in 9 pages- now 10 - less than 10 posts where people were "mean"; several people expressed upset about the loss of the cats. If it is being mean to be upset about something or someone's death and expressing it, then chalk me up as the meanest bitch in this valley since December 20th. Ask someone else why, they'll tell you.

If it is "mean" to state your opinion, then thank the gods for all the mean people in this valley who speak their minds and make changes when they do. We'd be in an awful huge mess around here otherwise.

I see positive changes coming out of all this "meanness" - I'm sure I'm not the only one. Perhaps reread the letter from the director of IMHS.

11 Jan 2011 16:59 #94 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic sadness

normalwhyner wrote: Sorry - you're right - Why are so MANY mean to them?

I don't think anyone is trying to be mean. We just want accountability from organizations that want our support.That means responding to questions from the community, is that too much to ask for? We all want the mission of IMHS to succeed and admire the work they have done but that doesn't mean they are above answering legitimate questions asked by the people that support them.

11 Jan 2011 17:18 #95 by Norm

Local_Historian wrote: So many? Again, an overgeneralization - I count out of the posts made here in 9 pages- now 10 - less than 10 posts where people were "mean"; several people expressed upset about the loss of the cats. If it is being mean to be upset about something or someone's death and expressing it, then chalk me up as the meanest bitch in this valley since December 20th. Ask someone else why, they'll tell you.

If it is "mean" to state your opinion, then thank the gods for all the mean people in this valley who speak their minds and make changes when they do. We'd be in an awful huge mess around here otherwise.

I see positive changes coming out of all this "meanness" - I'm sure I'm not the only one. Perhaps reread the letter from the director of IMHS.

Ok - I give up!

11 Jan 2011 18:20 #96 by rldbailey
Replied by rldbailey on topic sadness

JMC wrote:

normalwhyner wrote: Sorry - you're right - Why are so MANY mean to them?

I don't think anyone is trying to be mean. We just want accountability from organizations that want our support.That means responding to questions from the community, is that too much to ask for? We all want the mission of IMHS to succeed and admire the work they have done but that doesn't mean they are above answering legitimate questions asked by the people that support them.

How about accountability from ALL of the irresponsible pet owners that HELP create problems such as the one IMHS is going through right now and what other shelters face on a daily basis!?! How about accountability from ALL the people that don't spay and neuter their pets and breed irresponsibly because they need the money!?! How about accountability from ALL the people that dump, abuse, injure and/or kill pets every day because they want to take their anger and hate for another out on an innocent animal!?! How about accountability for ALL the people that feel they are right and are justified in their reasoning when they bring an animal to a shelter because that pet no longer suits their lifestyle!?!

More often than not, people will always have a never ending list of why they CAN'T or WON'T, but very seldom will they come up with a reason why they CAN and WILL!! I personally don't think any reason IMHS could or would provide to the community for the decision they made will ever satisfy some people.

Accountability begins with pet owners first and foremost. I have never met or known a shelter worker, rather they be a staff member or volunteer that has ever taken pleasure in having to euthanize an animal.

Perhaps the few critical people on this thread should spend just one day out of their busy lives working in a shelter. I mean working the same ten plus hour days, and that's just at the shelter. That doesn't include the meetings, fund raisers, the people that constantly approach you when your out in public that offer endless advice and ask a hundred questions and feel the need to tell you how to do your job. Not to mention the staff members that take work home in the evenings, weekends and days off out of the shelter, because as I stated before, there are never enough hours in the day or days in the week to get it all done. Also, most shelter workers foster pets when the shelter is low on space and foster homes, so now they go home and provide care to more animals as well as trying to have some semblence of a normal personal life.

When you do those things and more, maybe then your perspectives will be different.

Now, I give up and will do my best NOT to post in this thread anymore.

11 Jan 2011 18:39 #97 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic sadness

Why are so MANY mean to them?

Please help me to understand what you are saying. The closest definition I found for this use of the word 'mean' (and yes, it is a common usage of the word) is:

mean–spir·it·ed
Function: adjective
Meaning: [more mean–spir*it*ed; most mean–spir*it*ed] : feeling or showing a cruel desire to cause harm or pain ▪ a mean-spirited person ▪ a mean-spirited book review

I think this is what you are referring to, if I'm wrong please correct me.

I may have missed something, but I am not aware of any posts here on subjects related to IMHS which showed a 'cruel desire to cause harm or pain'. Many posters are unhappy about the situation, have requested clarifications, and expressed disappointment and/or dissatisfaction with the way the situation was handled.

I believe that we can learn from mistakes, but only if those mistakes are pointed out, analyzed, and accepted as being mistakes.

What I have seen here is concerned individuals pointing out what they perceive to be mistakes in the way this situation was handled, with the hope and expectation that similar situations in the future will be not repeat those mistakes.

I am not saying that mistakes were made - I don't know enough about the situation to decide that. But the perception clearly is that mistakes were made. I believe that for the sake of IMHS these perceptions need to be openly and fully addressed, and corrections made if and where indicated. Only then can IMHS continue to operate with the support and high regard which they have had in the past.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

11 Jan 2011 18:42 - 11 Jan 2011 21:12 #98 by Norm

normalwhyner wrote: It might help also if people were a little kinder and nicer - if I were a part of IMHS, I would be scared to post here...........why is everyone so nasty to them?

This was my original post - I AM SO SORRY FOR USING THE WRONG WORDS AND GENERALIZATIONS! Sheesh. :bash I AM DONE.

11 Jan 2011 18:53 #99 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic sadness
I fully understand the frustration regarding all the irresponsible people who have, or had, pets. I used to live in a rural area, and we had many pets dumped in our yard by this type of individual.

But, isn't that what IMHS was created to help solve?

I think all who have posted here are interested in arriving at a solution to the problem, not just in pointing fingers.

IMO, the only way it can be resolved is with continued open discussion, and I certainly hope that you will continue to provide your input. It is valued and necessary!

And, I forgot to mention before, Thanks for all you have done and are doing to help!! :thumbsup:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

11 Jan 2011 21:08 #100 by Local_Historian
You don't have to be an english teacher to write well.

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds