Elk Creek Fire demonstrating high level of competence

11 Apr 2012 08:36 #81 by CC
They just can't help themselves.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Apr 2012 08:46 #82 by jf1acai
Overall, the "Public Report" appears to be largely accurate, although self glorifying, like the OP in this thread.

Kind of forgot to mention, or misrepresented, the fact that NFFD was toned out at the same time as ECFD, and responded immediately.

Interesting to note that this implies that CSFS told ECFD where to find the access road before 1428 hours, but according to Chief McLaughlin he had to drive to the CSFS IC's location in order to communicate with him. Perhaps the access road location information actually came from NFFD?

States that ECFD/NFFD assumed command from CSFS, then later states that the fire was first managed by ECFD/NFFD unified command.

Personally, I am embarrased that such a document has been provided as official information from ECFD, as apparently also is this poster on the Hotlist forum:

I can't even come up with a civil response to that right now.

- http://www.wildlandfire.com/hotlist/sho ... post109184

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

11 Apr 2012 09:02 #83 by CC
Interesting commentary here....

(please remember is am not a firefighter, I just drink beer with them. then act as their pinecam month piece because they can't.)

I have bigger concerns that my friends chose not to respond because they didn't feel safe. Not because of the fire but because some of the personnel at elk creek have made the environment so hostile for volunteers, that they feared getting into a vehicle with some of those folks.

sounds like there a few issues going on here that played a part in the storm

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 67&start=0

11 Apr 2012 09:05 #84 by hvgal
it continues to amaze me (although not surprise me) that the lessons we could have learned from Katrina and countless other emergencies fails to be learned. When a disaster strikes there is little time in most cases. Yet, people continue to lose their lives and homes because of poor communication which I personally feel boils down to ego.

11 Apr 2012 10:15 #85 by akilina
The PIO needs to listen to the dispatch tapes, considering Intercanyon, North Fork and Elk Creek f.d. filter through Jeffco dispatch.

Enough misrepresentations. Have to agree trekker, PIO should shut up. Guess what the attorneys of fire victims will be using as part of their defense - an idiot PIO's statements.

But maybe they don't care, their liability is limited.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

11 Apr 2012 11:49 #86 by Grady
If I may be allowed, we have a board of directors election coming up May 8th. Please read my latest post on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grady-Harn-4-Elk-Creek-Fire-BoD/181477045286220

11 Apr 2012 16:30 #87 by jf1acai
If anyone can clarify what the OP of this thread - http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148667 - on Pinecam is attempting to say, I would much appreciate it.

It appears to me that he is claiming that ECFD and CSFS were using the State UHF DTRS radios during the Lower North Fork Fire.

When he refers to the 'old vhf radios' I am not sure if he is referring to the old 6 Meter VHF radios or the current 2 Meter VHF radios.

Since no one except Law Enforcement in the area affected by this incident was using the State UHF DTRS, I cannot understand why he continually references it.

I would ask him directly, but I am not allowed to post there.

Thank You

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

11 Apr 2012 16:38 #88 by Mtn Gramma
Can't clarify what he's referencing, but heaven help the person who disagrees with him. He is ALWAYS right, even when he's not.

11 Apr 2012 17:56 #89 by ZHawke
This continues to be an interesting discussion. In my opinion, there are several issues that haven't even yet been addressed (at least that I've seen):

1. Where was Jefferson County Emergency Management in all of this?
2. JeffCO EM falls under the Sheriff's Office, but were any of them on-scene?
3. Was the JeffCO Emergency Operations Center activated? If not, why not?
4. Was the annex addressing wildland/forest fire for the JeffCO Emergency Operations Plan activated and used? If not, why not?
5. Were JeffCO county commissioners involved in coordination of the response in any way?
6. Was this considered to be a "garden variety" emergency or was it a declared disaster, or something else?
7. Because JeffCO was involved in the Incident Command process, why was a Public Information Officer from Elk Creek Fire seemingly in charge of public information dissemination.

The list could go on and on. My point is that while communications (or lack thereof) are a major concern here, so should these other issues be, as well. From an administrative perspective, it would seem appropriate, since lives were lost and property suffered severe damage, that the EOC in Golden should have been activated (if it wasn't), personnel in the EOC should have been communicating with the Incident Command Post in Conifer, and appropriate annexes of the county emergency operations plan activated, used, and followed, etc., etc.

Finally, I believe this incident must be considered a "major event", regardless of whether a disaster declaration was made. Therefore, the State of Colorado Division of Emergency Management probably should also have been actively involved (if they weren't) from a coordination perspective given all the resources that ultimately came to bear in the response.

Food for thought and consideration. Hopefully, this will all be sorted out in the After Action Review.

11 Apr 2012 18:19 #90 by jf1acai
I can provide some information regarding your questions:

At 1440 hours the Jefferson County Type 3 IMT was requested by NFFD. At 1630 hours it was officially requested by the CSFS IC.

6. - This was declared a disaster eligible for Federal funds:

FEMA Authorizes Funds To Help Fight Colorado's Lower North Fork Fire

Release Date: March 26, 2012
Release Number: R8-12-008

» 2012 Region VIII News Releases
DENVER, Colo. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has authorized the use of federal funds to help with firefighting costs for the Lower North Fork Fire in Jefferson County.

FEMA Regional Administrator Robin Finegan approved the state’s request for a federal Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) at 8:45 p.m., upon receiving the state’s request.

Source

7. - No clue why the ECFD PIO is involved in any way - Jeffco handled most of the information dissemination at their blog - http://jeffcosheriff1.blogspot.com/

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds