I have a question

16 Jan 2011 20:20 #1 by SandyD
I have a question was created by SandyD
I posted this on another website and though a few people were somewhat helpful, I was treated to a nasty post by the Lead Moderator and also received a pm stating I was in violation of the sites TOS. Terms of Service.
http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=124578
I participate in an aviation forum and went to sign in today only to find that my IP and email address had been blocked and not only could I not log in, I could not even view the content of the website at all.
I simply wanted to understand how and why this would happen and what could possibly be the reasoning behind blocking someone from even viewing a website.
I would love any input.

Thank You in advance
SandyD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jan 2011 20:41 #2 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic I have a question
The main reason I can think of offhand why a website would prevent viewing of their content would be for profit - i.e., if they require you to register and pay to see it, so that they profit.

Otherwise, it may be because they simply want to keep control to a limited clientele, i.e., a private, such as for company use only, website.

I'm sure there are other reasons.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

16 Jan 2011 21:16 #3 by SandyD
Replied by SandyD on topic I have a question
I am unclear how a website and discussion forum would become for profit. You mean that the members who want to remain would have to pay to participate?

16 Jan 2011 21:38 #4 by pineinthegrass
Replied by pineinthegrass on topic I have a question
I'm kind of confused at just what your issue is.

At first it sounded like you got banned from some site you didn't mention, but then posted at Pinecam to ask about it? And then Pinecam sent you a warning message?

If so, perhaps Pinecam thought you were complaining about them, and then sent you a warning? I'm only asking because your messages both here and at PC were kind of confusing, to me at least.

I see you've made a fairly recent post at PC, so I guess you aren't banned there?

16 Jan 2011 22:01 #5 by SandyD
Replied by SandyD on topic I have a question
I never implied that my problem was with Pinecam at all. I simply wanted to know how a website could intentionally or unintentionally ban and IP or email address from participating or viewing a website and what the possible reasons for that might be. I didn't have a problem with Pinecam until a moderator rudely told me to take my issue elsewhere publicly and then privately in a pm.I was not allowed to question the post or the pm and had two of my posts actually removed. That is when I decided to register here and see if I would have better luck with my question.
My IP and my email address were somehow banned from a site that I have participated at for years. It is frustrating because I am unable to currently contact the owners to find out what has happened.
I cannot even view the site at all. I am sure this will get worked out with the owners but it is still frustrating.

16 Jan 2011 22:11 #6 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic I have a question
Is it possible the site no longer exists?

16 Jan 2011 22:19 #7 by CC
Replied by CC on topic I have a question
Why would Pinecam try to stop you from asking questions?
That is what is confusing to me.

16 Jan 2011 22:26 #8 by CC
Replied by CC on topic I have a question

pineinthegrass wrote: I'm kind of confused at just what your issue is.

At first it sounded like you got banned from some site you didn't mention, but then posted at Pinecam to ask about it? And then Pinecam sent you a warning message?

If so, perhaps Pinecam thought you were complaining about them, and then sent you a warning? I'm only asking because your messages both here and at PC were kind of confusing, to me at least.

I see you've made a fairly recent post at PC, so I guess you aren't banned there?

Why would Pinecam send her a warning message?
What did she say that deserved a warning?
Did I miss something?

16 Jan 2011 23:12 #9 by pineinthegrass
Replied by pineinthegrass on topic I have a question

Becky wrote:

pineinthegrass wrote: I'm kind of confused at just what your issue is.

Why would Pinecam send her a warning message?
What did she say that deserved a warning?
Did I miss something?

I don't know either.

I was just confused if she/he were banned by Pinecam, or some other site.

Now it's been answered. It was some other site. And LH made a good suggestion that maybe that site is down. If so, SandyD could post the name of the site if she wishes, and one of us could log in and check to see if it works for us. We might even find contact info for her, if the site is still working.

So far as why a Pinecam mod sent her a warning message, I only guessed it was because the mod thought she was complaining about Pinecam. Not that it's justifiable. I really don't know what the Pinecam mod might of been thinking.

17 Jan 2011 07:20 #10 by Norm
Replied by Norm on topic I have a question
Weird - can you email another individual that you know posts at the site you're trying to access and have them contact the admins or someone to find out?

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds