Female Self Defense: Situational Awareness

30 Mar 2011 23:16 #21 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Female Self Defense: Situational Awareness

Science Chic wrote: My college freshman year roommate was from DC and would tell me stories of going clubbing alone from the age of 15 (she was a wild child). I asked her if she ever had any trouble walking those streets alone and she said nope, she just walked like she knew where she was going and with attitude. She said there was one time that some guy started following her, getting a little closer after each block. Finally after a few blocks of walking and not ditching him, she turned around and yelled right at him "What the *$@# do you want?" and he was so startled that he ran off. I had a hard time believing that at some point, someone wouldn't try to get through that little bit of defense she carried in her attitude, but she was a "Don't *$@# with me kind of person", not the friendliest of people, so I could almost see how she could carry it off. Awareness of your surroundings, and your attitude, is definitely the most important part of keeping yourself safe. Unless something happened to me, I don't see myself carrying a weapon though. I bought pepper spray for the first time ever a year and a half ago, only because I was going to start walking my new dog around our neighborhood while pushing my 2 year old in the stroller too and wanted to take extra measures to keep her safe as our mobility was compromised by the stroller (unstrapping and removing children from strollers is not a quick action). Walking a German shepard didn't hurt either!

It's true...Next time you see a mountail lion on your morning walk- run away and it will chase you, show no fear and it goes away. Trouble just asks for trouble by living in terror like she does. People like that ruin their lives by trying to save them. Nothing could be more sensless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Mar 2011 18:27 #22 by Obam me
Replied by Obam me on topic Female Self Defense: Situational Awareness
Yeah...it was really neat on Sunday when a cop came by to warn me that a convicted violent felon was being released from prison that day and the woman he assaulted happens to live next door. Yes...I'll bet my next paycheck that walking confidently will surely be a deterent for a guy like that.

I do not live in fear and I will not be a victim.

01 Apr 2011 20:02 #23 by UNDER MODERATION

Trouble wrote: I will not be a victim.

You already are, you live in terror

Trouble...............Since I obviously have more life experience than you let me tell you something. Were all gonna die someday, don't spend what little time you have here obsessing over it. I've been all over the world and Conifer/Bailey/Evergreen might be the safest places on earth so relax and enjoy the ride young lady. This is a happy place and a great time in human history- You could have been born Iraq 2 years ago, the Gaza Strip, in 1940 europe, or in the medieval times or something..Then you'd have something to worry about

Lighten up

01 Apr 2011 21:13 #24 by Obam me
Replied by Obam me on topic Female Self Defense: Situational Awareness

Vice Lord wrote:

Trouble...............Since I obviously have more life experience than you let me tell you something. Were all gonna die someday, don't spend what little time you have here obsessing over it. I've been all over the world and Conifer/Bailey/Evergreen might be the safest places on earth so relax and enjoy the ride young lady. This is a happy place and a great time in human history- You could have been born Iraq 2 years ago, the Gaza Strip, in 1940 europe, or in the medieval times or something..Then you'd have something to worry about

Lighten up

Gosh VL...thanks for sharing!

03 Apr 2011 17:14 #25 by UNDER MODERATION

Trouble wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Lighten up

Gosh VL...thanks for sharing!

No problem. When you get older you'll realize that your life is not that important- So try to dwell on the good things, not the remote possibility of the bad.

Good Luck

03 Apr 2011 18:10 #26 by jf1acai

No problem. When you get older you'll realize that your life is not that important- So try to dwell on the good things, not the remote possibility of the bad.

Translation: Don't worry, be happy!

You don't need to take any responsibility for anything, someone else will always take care of you.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

03 Apr 2011 18:35 #27 by UNDER MODERATION

jf1acai wrote:

Translation: Don't worry, be happy!

Exactly...I bet Troubles favorite Tv shows are Nancy Grace and Jane Velez-Bitchell

04 Apr 2011 09:23 #28 by ComputerBreath
We were taught a 2-week course of Self-Defense in High School. I still remember several of the things we were taught. Part of being in the military is situational awareness and being aware of your surroundings. One thing I was taught and I still do, is to take the keys out of my purse before I leave the building and hold at least one of them between my fingers so it can be used as a poking weapon should I need it. I also was taught to walk straight to my vehicle with my head held high, scanning my surroundings the whole way. Then, get in the vehicle as soon as possible and lock the doors. If I am going to a grocery store or a store where I have to unload a cart, I make sure I have someone else with me.

No, I don't stress about these things...as of this point in my life they've become second nature and I don't even think about what I'm doing...I just do it.

It doesn't really matter how prepared an individual is to avoid a problem...if the perpetrator wants to take your money or your vehicle or you...they'll find a way. And that's just the way it is.

04 Apr 2011 16:02 #29 by UNDER MODERATION

ComputerBreath wrote: I take the keys out of my purse before I leave the building and hold at least one of them between my fingers so it can be used as a poking weapon should I need it. I also walk straight to my vehicle with my head held high, scanning my surroundings the whole way. Then, get in the vehicle as soon as possible and lock the doors. If I am going to a grocery store or a store where I have to unload a cart, I make sure I have someone else with me.

The world must seem like a horrible place for you and Trouble. I think the next time a woman is assulted by a stranger in the Safeway/King Sooper parking lot it will be the first time.

04 Apr 2011 18:41 #30 by HEARTLESS
VL doesn't realize that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Don't try to think about it VL, your hampster is barely walking on a rusty treadmill.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds