Anyone care to discuss Illegals and in State Tuition ?

15 Apr 2011 19:31 #21 by Ice
My last try , I paid for others children to be educated, some were children of criminals. I have no children, I paid so our country has an educated populace that contributes the overall well being of my country. The status of the young peoples parents was never an issue. Why it is for you is baffling to me.
Sorry I must be thick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Apr 2011 19:40 #22 by Grady

Ice wrote:

OmniScience wrote: So, we'll give people who are in this country illegally a break on tuition fees, and charge more to tax-paying American citizens who come from another state to obtain a degree?

Absolutely backwards to say the least. That's clearly saying it's OK to break the law - you will not be punished or face any consequences.

Their parents broke the law not them.. Do you apply that logic to children of all criminals? Sorry I don't get it.

If they are still here after they turn 18 and haven't taken steps to become legal then they are just as illegal as the parents.

15 Apr 2011 19:49 #23 by Grady

Ice wrote: My last try , I paid for others children to be educated, some were children of criminals. .

Those criminals were at least citizens. By your argument the children and grand childern of Bernie Madoff should be entitled to keep the money that Bernie stole. Afterall they didn’t steal the money Bernie did. Illegals are doing nothing more than stealing a lifestyle.

15 Apr 2011 19:52 #24 by Ice

Grady wrote:

Ice wrote: My last try , I paid for others children to be educated, some were children of criminals. .

Those criminals were at least citizens. By your argument the children and grand childern of Bernie Madoff should be entitled to keep the money that Bernie stole. Afterall they didn’t steal the money Bernie did. Illegals are doing nothing more than stealing a lifestyle.

wow, just glad you don't run the country.
Goodnight.
ps, I don't think they took Madoff's kids education away or punished them for his crimes.

15 Apr 2011 20:14 #25 by Obam me
I know..let's set up a fund and all the liberals can donate to ther bleeding heart's content...just don't expect the rest of us to do. I am not responsible for the sins of their parents. They knew they we taking a risk by coming over here illegally. It's another one of life's little lessons - we don't always get what we want when we want it and we can't expect someone else to pay for it. And don't forget, they soaked us for the first 13 years they were in government schools and now they have their hand out again. I'd be embarassed if I were them!

15 Apr 2011 20:51 #26 by navycpo7
So the first thing we do is make sure they all understand our laws and our Constitution. Including the laws on immigration. Make sure they understand that if they are not here with the proper paperwork, visa, green card etc then it is against federal law for them to be here. The law does not say "Well if your parents are here illegally then because you are the children that you are legal. It says if you come to this country you must follow the laws. You file the paperwork, do it legally and then all is well. WHAT PART OF ILLEGAL is not clear. illegal is illegal. I do not care if it 10 yrs old or 50 yrs old. There are ways to be legal. Do it or leave.

And yes I have a dog in this fight. My mother came here the right way. She spent years getting her citizenship. Took the test and was sworn in as a US citizen.

15 Apr 2011 22:50 #27 by Rockdoc

Ice wrote:

OmniScience wrote: So, we'll give people who are in this country illegally a break on tuition fees, and charge more to tax-paying American citizens who come from another state to obtain a degree?

Absolutely backwards to say the least. That's clearly saying it's OK to break the law - you will not be punished or face any consequences.

Their parents broke the law not them.. Do you apply that logic to children of all criminals? Sorry I don't get it.

You do know those children who attended three years HS in Colorado and have a GED are eligible for naturalization? They may be victims of their parents, but by the time they are eligible for college they do have the ability to correct their parents mistake if they wish to do so.

If Democrat Angela Giron has children who are undocumented, surely she knows enough to guide them to become citizens. Is there a reason they must remain undocumented?

I also noted that Texas was cited as an example of increased revenues, but they failed to note that Texas did not charge tuition to begin with, not exactly an equitable comparison. Bottom line is if a student is willing to pay for their education, they should abide by the same constraints as American citizens. If they can document residency in the state, then let them pay in-state tuition, if not make them pay out-of state tuition (just like other American or foreign students). Most of all, any undocumented student ought to receive information regarding naturalization as part of the process. Perhaps if a student has resided in the state for a long time but ELECTS to opt out of the naturalization process, they then must pay tuition like a foreign student.

15 Apr 2011 23:23 #28 by archer
let me first state that I am against illegal immigration, I think we need to put our energies and our money into sealing off the border. That being said, even if we do that we have a very large population of illegals already here....many of whom are children or young adults. I would rather see them educated than for them to have no other avenue than crime and gangs to make a living. Education is one of the best defenses against criminal behavior (ok, unless they are really good at finance, then they can become white collar crooks). I don't have a problem if, like rockdoc posted, they can prove residency in the state for whatever period the state requires for in state tuition, then I think it is in our best interest to facilitate their education....it will save us all money in the long run.

I didn't realize that there was a path for them to become citizens, perhaps as a requirement for undocumented kids to attend college on in-state tuition they need to start the process to become citizens. That would separate them from foreign students who are here just for an education. The parents....if they want to be citizens need to go back home and apply along with everyone else who wants to be a legal citizen here. We have already invested in their kid's education, lets make those kids contributing members of society who pay taxes......much better than leaving them little option but to join a gang or whatever kids do who have no prospects for employment.

It's a dilemma, no one really wants to reward the parents by letting their kids go to college on a lower tuition then if they were applying from their native country, but for many of these kids this is the only home they have ever known. I just think that we are better off with an educated immigrant population than an uneducated one. That my 2 cents worth.

16 Apr 2011 06:53 #29 by navycpo7
Here is a question for all that are for this stupid bill.

A few years ago some tried to get a bill passed here in Colorado that would have given the Military stationed here in Colorado in state tutuion, It was voted down. So it is ok to give illegals in state tution but not those serving the this country in the military? is that what you are saying here. Personally if they are illegal, then send them packing. Alot of these illegals, (not all) have fake SSN, fake addresses, already are draining the medical system, the welfare system, and now they want to give them in state tution. Hell, lets just roll out the red carpet, invite them all into our state and tell them Colorado is nothing more than a safe haven state, maybe somebody needs to check and see if Giron is legal.

16 Apr 2011 10:29 #30 by archer

navycpo7 wrote: Here is a question for all that are for this stupid bill.

A few years ago some tried to get a bill passed here in Colorado that would have given the Military stationed here in Colorado in state tutuion, It was voted down. So it is ok to give illegals in state tution but not those serving the this country in the military? is that what you are saying here. Personally if they are illegal, then send them packing. Alot of these illegals, (not all) have fake SSN, fake addresses, already are draining the medical system, the welfare system, and now they want to give them in state tution. Hell, lets just roll out the red carpet, invite them all into our state and tell them Colorado is nothing more than a safe haven state, maybe somebody needs to check and see if Giron is legal.

I'm absolutely with you on giving the military stationed in a state in state tuition......personally I think they should get in state tuition in any state in which they wish to go to college....they are, after all, defending each and every state.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds