do conservatives hate legal immigrants?

25 Apr 2011 11:51 #51 by HEARTLESS
He's showing your consistent, extreme Left hate speak. Have another hateraid, :Koolaid: you seem thirsty.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Apr 2011 11:55 #52 by archer

HEARTLESS wrote: I'll be happy to. My nieces parents legally immigrated here, as my parents did. They came here to escape Mubarak's dictatorship. I have worked with muslims in more than one job, and found them decent people. My first statement on this thread still holds. If you come to this country, be a good American, then whatever your origins are. So in a nutshell, legal immigrants are what helped build this nation, and I'm still for it.

Thank you, that is all I was looking for, just someone to address the issue, why was that so hard? There has been some anger and prejudice directed at muslims in this country.....and at those from the middle east who may or may not be muslim (if you look middle eastern many will assume you are muslim) I think we can all agree on that. I simply wanted to know where you all stood on both muslim citizens and encouraging immigration from the middle east......who may or may not be muslims (is that ok to post.....does it cover the disclaimer needed?)

25 Apr 2011 12:00 #53 by Nobody that matters

archer wrote: I simply wanted to know where you all stood on both muslim citizens and encouraging immigration from the middle east......who may or may not be muslims (is that ok to post.....does it cover the disclaimer needed?)

Well, that's a little different. I believe in allowing immigration, but I definetly do not believe in encouraging it.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

25 Apr 2011 12:05 #54 by FredHayek

HEARTLESS wrote: I'll be happy to. My nieces parents legally immigrated here, as my parents did. They came here to escape Mubarak's dictatorship. I have worked with muslims in more than one job, and found them decent people. My first statement on this thread still holds. If you come to this country, be a good American, then whatever your origins are. So in a nutshell, legal immigrants are what helped build this nation, and I'm still for it.

One of my employees is a nice Coptic Christian woman from Egypt who came here to escape Islamic intolerance. Hopefully the post-Mubarak Egypt will be more tolerant of minorities but I am guessing it will actually get worse as the Muslim Brotherhood is allowed to legally run candidates in elections.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Apr 2011 12:06 #55 by archer

Nobody that matters wrote:

archer wrote: I simply wanted to know where you all stood on both muslim citizens and encouraging immigration from the middle east......who may or may not be muslims (is that ok to post.....does it cover the disclaimer needed?)

Well, that's a little different. I believe in allowing immigration, but I definetly do not believe in encouraging it.

What would constitute the difference in allowing vs encouraging immigration? The fact that becoming a US citizen is so desirable, just allowing people from the middle east to come here is pretty much encouraging them isn't it? Does the US have countries that we do not allow people to immigrate from?

25 Apr 2011 12:15 #56 by HEARTLESS
Most nations ask what you can bring to their nation (not just monetarily, but in all senses), and how you will not burden the welfare system. I would like to see some reform towards those ideas.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

25 Apr 2011 12:17 #57 by RenegadeCJ
My perspective on legal immigration is this. We should encourage immigration of people who will benefit THIS country. In order to come here you must have a job, or an expertise we need. Must prove ability to support themselves.

There are enough people who want to come here, why not be a little picky. Find people who love freedom, love our country, and want us to succeed. People who want to become Americans, not "country-american". I have many friends who are legal, came here legally. Not one is a "blank-american". They are all just Americans.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

25 Apr 2011 12:20 #58 by Nobody that matters

archer wrote: What would constitute the difference in allowing vs encouraging immigration? The fact that becoming a US citizen is so desirable, just allowing people from the middle east to come here is pretty much encouraging them isn't it? Does the US have countries that we do not allow people to immigrate from?

No, being passive other than to create and maintain a legal method for immigration is 'allowing'.

Buying ad space in Al Jazzera (sp?) saying "Come to the REAL promised land!!!!!" is encouraging.

I have no idea if we've cut off some countries or not. Try google?

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

25 Apr 2011 12:39 #59 by archer
I have a dilemma on this issue....having been to Ellis Island.....back in 2006....I was touched by the stories of refugees from other nations who did see America as the promised land, a place to build a new life and provide security and freedom for themselves and their family. The whole "bring me your tired, your poor" certainly resonates with this bleeding heart liberal.......but I also have a practical side and am well aware of the fact that America has many tired and poor citizens and we as a nation are constantly in disagreement how those poor should be helped, if they should be helped, and how much. Bringing in more people who need assistance will not help those citizens already here. So setting some limits on new immigrants might be wise....I see the practicality of it, and certainly we could use the expertise of those people who would bring education, craft, creativity to our nation, but the mother in me wants to give refuge to those in need. Like I said, it's a dilemma for me.

25 Apr 2011 12:56 #60 by outdoor338
Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds