HONORING MEMORIAL DAY

27 May 2011 21:27 #31 by archer
Replied by archer on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY

otisptoadwater wrote:

Hoot Owl wrote: Memorial Day, honors those that have lost their lives in battle, or served and have passed away.
Veterans Day, honors the living that have served.
I think of those currently in harms way often.
There is a difference, I think.

you are correct but I see no harm in an extra effort to acknowledge those currently serving whether or not it's a holiday. I can say from my own experience that many who serve now come from a long line of those who served before them, many gave their limbs, soul, and even their lives. So many of our service members are languishing in VA hospitals and suffering from their own personal demons, an "extra" thank you is not out of line IMHO.

I think your opinion is right on....the best way to honor those who have gone before is to support those who are serving now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 May 2011 21:50 #32 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY

Becky wrote:

otisptoadwater wrote:

Hoot Owl wrote: Memorial Day, honors those that have lost their lives in battle, or served and have passed away.
Veterans Day, honors the living that have served.
I think of those currently in harms way often.
There is a difference, I think.

you are correct but I see no harm in an extra effort to acknowledge those currently serving whether or not it's a holiday. I can say from my own experience that many who serve now come from a long line of those who served before them, many gave their limbs, soul, and even their lives. So many of our service members are languishing in VA hospitals and suffering from their own personal demons, an "extra" thank you is not out of line IMHO.

I totally agree.

[youtube:2o7vsci9]
[/youtube:2o7vsci9]

Sorry Becky I tried to get through the first one, way to many memories of shipmates that I have lost, and with my son heading back over. But they are great ones.

27 May 2011 21:59 #33 by CC
Replied by CC on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY
Yep...I just sat here with tears thinking about Tommy.

28 May 2011 07:29 - 29 May 2017 16:39 #34 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY
My dad. Bougainville, Marine Raiders, precurser to all of today's special forces. He is the Marine front and center wearing the helmet.

Read about the Marine Raiders here

28 May 2011 10:09 #35 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY
Nice picture Grady, thanks for sharing. Interesting write up on your Marine Raiders link too.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

28 May 2011 12:33 #36 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY
My friend's stepson is leaving for his 10th tour in Afghanistan. He is in a special unit and loves it.

I've already posted elsewhere about just a few of my family members.

I'm spending the weekend making neck chillers.

We'll be going to the Marine Memorial service in Golden on Monday.

I do wish I could visit my dad's grave at Arlington National Cemetery.

28 May 2011 16:45 #37 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY
Nice picture Grady. :heart:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

28 May 2011 17:02 #38 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY
I have been searching The Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall) for the names of my buddies. It is something that I will never do again.

If you want, here is the link: http://www.thewall-usa.com/

Regards,
Major Bean

28 May 2011 17:40 #39 by CC

Birth: Apr. 20, 1980
Thornton
Adams County
Colorado, USA
Death: Mar. 23, 2003, Iraq

Marine Lance Corp Slocum was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. Slocum and his unit were attacked near An Nasiriyah. They had cornered an Iraqi unit whose soldiers waved the white flag of surrender but when the Marines began approaching, the Iraqis opened fire. Thomas graduated from Skyview High School in 1998. He was a troubled teenager who struggled in school but once he joined the Marines in the summer of 1997, he turned his life around – he even became an honor roll student. He enjoyed boating, hunting and drawing. He served proudly as a Marine and was in it all the way – he never did anything halfway. Thomas wore his uniform to his mother's wedding in 1998. It had to be 90 degrees at the wedding but you couldn't get him to take his dress blues off. "GOD BLESS YOUR SON," read a giant sign just outside the church where his funeral was held - a sign unfurled by Robin and Fil Morales, who couldn't talk about it without crying. Hundreds more signs, cheers and waving flags greeted the funeral procession as it made its way south. Limousine windows rolled down so the family could get a better look; many waved back as the wind streaked their faces with tears. It was a sight that stunned even the police who led the motorcade - many of whom are also military men and women. Thomas was buried in his dress blues.

Burial:
Fort Logan National Cemetery
Denver
Denver County
Colorado, USA
Plot: Section S, Site 5891-C

28 May 2011 17:42 #40 by CC
Prayers heading up for your stepson 2wlady

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds