HONORING MEMORIAL DAY

27 May 2013 15:57 #61 by Jekyll
Replied by Jekyll on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY
:fwave: S.T.N.T.S :fwave:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 May 2013 21:13 #62 by otisptoadwater

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

29 May 2017 16:33 #63 by MyMountainTown
"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Memorial Day

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in service of the United States of America. Over two dozen cities and towns claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day. While Waterloo N.Y. was officially declared the birthplace of Memorial Day by President Lyndon Johnson in May 1966, it’s difficult to prove conclusively the origins of the day.

Regardless of the exact date or location of its origins, one thing is clear – Memorial Day was borne out of the Civil War and a desire to honor our dead. It was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11. “The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village and hamlet churchyard in the land,” he proclaimed. The date of Decoration Day, as he called it, was chosen because it wasn’t the anniversary of any particular battle.

On the first Decoration Day, General James Garfield made a speech at Arlington National Cemetery, and 5,000 participants decorated the graves of the 20,000 Union and Confederate soldiers buried there.

:homebrave: :remember: :memorialrib

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

28 May 2018 08:25 #64 by MyMountainTown

Photo from History.com
Memorial Day - History.com

Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. Memorial Day 2018 occurs on Monday, May 28. Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971. Many Americans observe Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries or memorials, holding family gatherings and participating in parades.

Memorial Day Videos
:homebrave: :remember: :memorialrib

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285
Attachments:

25 May 2020 09:59 #65 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY
:memorialrib :remember: :flag: To all who have served and made the ultimate sacrifice, I honor and express my undying gratitude for their service to our nation. To their families, I lift them up in spirit for their loss. Our country is great because of her people and the values we all hold dear.

May you all have a safe and wonderful Memorial Day.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived." ~George S. Patton

I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country. ~Nathan Hale

We live in a time of conflict - external and internal - when we sometimes concentrate too much on what divides us. Today, fly the Stars and Stripes with pride and confidence that what unites is far stronger. ~Charlie Dent

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 May 2021 11:39 #66 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY
"A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." – Joseph Campbell

May our eternal gratitude for the sacrifice our men and women have made throughout our history bring us peace and hope for a better tomorrow.

Memorial Day Greetings and Inspirational Honor Quotes

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

31 May 2021 12:59 #67 by ConiferRadio
Replied by ConiferRadio on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY
We honor a special veteran this Memorial Day, S. Sergeant Joseph L. Spiroff, of Helena Montana, a B-24 bombardier and veteran who flew 35 missions over the Nazi's in WW2. I simply remember him as "Dad" - everything good and decent about creating your new community radio station - comes from him.

A streaming internet radio voice for the Conifer, Pine, Bailey Colorado and US Highway 285 Corridor mountain communities. We have two stations; MOUNTAIN CLASSIC ROCK music, TWO EIGHTY VIBE contemporary music, plus the voices of our Local Folks and their community information. Listen live by clicking the "Listen Live" buttons for either station at www.coniferradio.com/
Contact us at: or 303-514-9188
Attachments:

31 May 2021 17:43 - 31 May 2021 17:43 #68 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic HONORING MEMORIAL DAY
:flagwave: :remember: :memorialrib :remember: Happy Memorial Day in honor of those who never got to return home.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds