Obama supporters just keep getting better!!!

16 Mar 2012 10:24 #51 by JSG
You like that phrase "fundamental transformation" a lot, don't you? I think you're reading too much into the flag.

Personally, I think there are more important things to discuss -- issues that actually affect me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Mar 2012 11:21 #52 by Nobody that matters
All that article shows is there is one person running a Democratic campaign office that is completely ignorant of US flag code, and how seriously some will defend it.

I see no huge outrage, I see ignorance on the part of anyone that would buy one of those flags. If I saw one flying I would comment on it politely, telling the person flying it that they are taking part in the desecration of a national symbol, and they are winning no support for whatever cause their misguided attempt is in favor of. I'd let them know how offensive it is, and if they take offense to that, I'd point out that I'm expressing myself in a much more polite way than they've chosen.

I felt the same way about the flag flying on the Kittridge restaurant a while back that had an indian's sillouette stenciled on it. I saw it, and decided at that point that the restaurant was not my kind of place and deserved none of my money.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

16 Mar 2012 11:49 #53 by PrintSmith
I don't see it that same way Ntm - I don't think this as an innocent mistake made by an overly effusive supporter of our current president. I think the flag was designed to convey a message. I think the stars were removed from the flag for a specific reason and that there is a purpose in replacing them with a different symbol. Maybe not in the mind of the person running the campaign office per se, but by the person or group that designed the flag and brought it to market. I think there was thought given to the substitution that was made and the message that it would send, consciously or unconsciously, when the flag was displayed.

I am involved in the world of design. There is a science to logo design and the use of shapes, images and colors to impart a feeling about a company or a product. Perhaps that makes me more sensitive, or more cognizant, to the purpose of a design than others. Some people look at the lines of a car and simply like the way it looks but can't explain why they like it. I look at the same car and see a message contained in the lines, consciously put there to evoke a certain feeling. This flag wasn't a half baked idea someone came up with to make a little coin - there is more to it than that.

16 Mar 2012 11:56 #54 by Nobody that matters

PrintSmith wrote: I don't see it that same way Ntm - I don't think this as an innocent mistake made by an overly effusive supporter of our current president. I think the flag was designed to convey a message.

I understand what you're saying, but I try to take the path of lowest emotional response until proven wrong.

"...misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this world than trickery and malice. At any rate, the last two are certainly much less frequent." - Goethe

16 Mar 2012 12:04 #55 by archer
You will see what you want to see PS, and I'm quite sure nothing anyone posts will change your mind. I seriously doubt a whole lot of thought went into that "flag", just one person who flew it to show their support for the president. The simplest explanation is usually closer to the truth. But, if your mind leans towards conspiracy theories, you will find them, or manufacture them

16 Mar 2012 12:23 #56 by PrintSmith
Oh, I don't question the reason why that one person ran the flag up the pole archer - I agree with you there that the simplest answer is that she didn't stop for even a moment to think about what she was doing.

I am, however, not as convinced as you that no serious thought went into designing the flag that was flown. One doesn't invest the amount of money needed to mass produce something like that without first giving a lot of thought to it. Try calling up the manufacturer of a flag and asking them how much a unique design for a 3x5 flag would cost you to produce in quantity. This wasn't something that this one person sat down and did themselves without a lot of thought. Someone put a lot of thought into designing that flag and a lot of money getting it manufactured. Maybe their thoughts were not intended to inspire the thoughts that I have, but I have my doubts on that. The correlation ties in too nicely for it to be a pure coincidence.

16 Mar 2012 12:26 #57 by JSG
Bunch of old geezers with nothing better to do after sucking down their free coffee at Publix in the morning...this NEVER was an actual American flag...just because it uses a style & color scheme similiar to Old Glory doesn't make it so...What's next?...Demanding the Harlem Globetrotters change their uniforms because they use a red, white and blue color scheme along with a stars & bars style?...I'm sure these coots have no problem with similiar uses of the flag in backgrounds with various military emblems printed over the bars of the flag...or eagles...or firefighters...honestly, fellas...go enjoy your grandkids and stop trampling on people's first amendment rights...you remember, the first amendment, right?...the one you served in the military to defend?

Posted on the Flag company's website:

NOTE: We have received numerous threats (some violent) from people who demand we take this flag down. Some of these people claim to be veterans who fought for our freedom. We doubt they are actually veterans as they now seek to suppress the freedom they claim to have fought for (freedom of speech).

For those who are concerned, this flag is not a violation of US or any other law as this is a design based on the US flag, not an actual US flag. We did not take a US flag and change it. Flags are emotional and you have the right to display the flag that represents your point of view. Truth is no one had bought one of these since 2009 - until this week.

There's more. click on the link to read the rest:
http://www.ultimateflags.com/US-Obama-f ... -sale.html

16 Mar 2012 12:36 #58 by Nobody that matters

JSG wrote: I'm sure these coots have no problem with similiar uses of the flag in backgrounds with various military emblems printed over the bars of the flag...or eagles...or firefighters...

I bet a lot of them do have a problem with that.

16 Mar 2012 12:38 #59 by PrintSmith
The flag takes Old Glory, removes a very important part of it and substitutes another symbol in its place. That is what the veterans are upset about JSG. Put the same image of Obama in the center of a solid blue flag and we've got ourselves an entirely different ball game. If the vets don't like Obama they may have grumbled amongst themselves over their coffee, but they would not have taken issue with it as they have with this flag, nor would I for that matter. A flag with Obama's image alone on a solid blue field would not evoke the comparison to the flag of the union. That is why I strongly hold that the flag was designed with the intent to convey the message that the old union was being changed, fundamentally transformed into something brand new, with Obama at the helm.

16 Mar 2012 12:42 - 16 Mar 2012 12:50 #60 by Photo-fish
Isn't it great that we all have the freedom to express our opinion?

What do you think of the LGBT movement using this flag?
The flag takes Old Glory, removes a very important part of it and substitutes another symbol in its place.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds