European nudes and American prudes

13 Jul 2010 18:10 #11 by BaconLover

Silent Lucidity wrote:

ExtremeModerate wrote: I've always wondered why America is more tolerant of violence than nudity.

The real question then becomes are we more violent as a nation?

If you look at the murder rate (I did a quick internet search on this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... urder-data ) It would appear the murder rate in the US is higher than that of most European countries....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jul 2010 18:36 #12 by Rockdoc
An interesting topic. I'm waiting for a few to jump in here who gave SG such a miserable time for being the woman she is. I fail to understand the skittishness towards nudity. We are all born without clothes... I think. Hummm... just think of all the money that could be saved by not wearing clothes. Being European in upbringing clothes are optional for me if I feel like it. It makes NO fun at Mardi Gras "Show me something" :biggrin:

The violence (murder) data is indeed interesting. One wonders if there is a direct correlation or other factors are in play.

13 Jul 2010 18:52 #13 by LOL
I am all for more boobies and less violence. :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

13 Jul 2010 20:48 #14 by stcroix2

Silent Lucidity wrote:

ExtremeModerate wrote: I've always wondered why America is more tolerant of violence than nudity.

The real question then becomes are we more violent as a nation?

Ok, the set up is there... or are we just a bunch of Boobs! :biggrin:

14 Jul 2010 18:55 - 23 Jun 2013 15:55 #15 by major bean

Regards,
Major Bean

14 Jul 2010 19:47 #16 by BaconLover

major bean wrote: The reason is that there are very few men and women who are presentable enough to be naked in the U.S. The next time you are at Walmart, let the better half do the shopping and stay in the auto and observe the vast quantities of blubber that waddles in and out of the shopping center entrance. The answer will eventually dawn that we are not prudish, just that without clothing we would be obscene.

Does WalMart sell thongs?

14 Jul 2010 20:02 #17 by Rockdoc

major bean wrote: The reason is that there are very few men and women who are presentable enough to be naked in the U.S. The next time you are at Walmart, let the better half do the shopping and stay in the auto and observe the vast quantities of blubber that waddles in and out of the shopping center entrance. The answer will eventually dawn that we are not prudish, just that without clothing we would be obscene.

I think this points to a large part of the problem. Americans grow up with the notion of heavenly bodies, not reality. Age does not foster retention of heavenly bodies. Hence anyone who deviates from that ideal is viewed negatively. Hell, most old men and women simply have disgusting bodies given this perspective. I think we are jaded by our ideals. Americans do have overweight issues, but here are many Europeans who have less than ideal bodies, yet this does not dissuade them form going natural. I think there are fundamental differences in acceptance of what the human body reality is. The human body is ours regardless of shape or age, it remains acceptable.

14 Jul 2010 20:06 #18 by BaconLover

Rockdoc Franz wrote: I think this points to a large part of the problem. Americans grow up with the notion of heavenly bodies, not reality. Age does not foster retention of heavenly bodies. Hence anyone who deviates from that ideal is viewed negatively. Hell, most old men and women simply have disgusting bodies given this perspective. I think we are jaded by our ideals. Americans do have overweight issues, but here are many Europeans who have less than ideal bodies, yet this does not dissuade them form going natural. I think there are fundamental differences in acceptance of what the human body reality is. The human body is ours regardless of shape or age, it remains acceptable.

Well said!

But I also think that there is a strong taboo against sex and nudity in our society bore out of our strong religious influence. Most of the original "settlers" to the US were fringe religious groups looking to escape persecution in Europe. Violence was tolerated, nudity & sexuality were not.

14 Jul 2010 20:19 #19 by Rockdoc

ExtremeModerate wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote: I think this points to a large part of the problem. Americans grow up with the notion of heavenly bodies, not reality. Age does not foster retention of heavenly bodies. Hence anyone who deviates from that ideal is viewed negatively. Hell, most old men and women simply have disgusting bodies given this perspective. I think we are jaded by our ideals. Americans do have overweight issues, but there are many Europeans who have less than ideal bodies, yet this does not dissuade them form going natural. I think there are fundamental differences in acceptance of what the human body reality is. The human body is ours regardless of shape or age, it remains acceptable.

Well said!

But I also think that there is a strong taboo against sex and nudity in our society bore out of our strong religious influence. Most of the original "settlers" to the US were fringe religious groups looking to escape persecution in Europe. Violence was tolerated, nudity & sexuality were not.

No question. Our morality views have their roots in religion and what you identify is of paramount importance.

14 Jul 2010 20:29 #20 by LOL
Never mind all this psycho babble, lets see some boobies! :) :)

Oops, were in the courthouse, sorry.

Good points though.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds