Romney says "I like being able to fire people"

03 Jun 2012 16:35 #41 by JMC

CritiKalbILL wrote:

jmc wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote:

jmc wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote: When I had my business, I LOVED TO FIRE PEOPLE. That's right, I said it. Because when I fired someone, it was only because they desreved to be fired. They either stole from me, or they continued to do sub-par work, even after being educated over and over againn about how to do the job properly, then reverting back to their old bad habbits.

I didn't start the business for the benefit of half-assed workers. I started it for the benefit of my family and anyone else that wanted to join the team and make the company grow.

The reason I enjoyed firing them was because when I did, those on the "half-assed work fence" suddenly found Jesus, put out better work, then got higher compensation. I was also able to bring in new people who were just as eager to do a good job (until they fell off the wagon).

So yes, firing dead weight is not only fun, it's also profitable! IMO, this is the main reason why our public schools suck so bad, and why unions in general create an environment of mediocre robots with no incentive to be the best they can be.

The only time firing hurt my heart, was when I was too sick to keep the business going and no longer had a choice.

Did you do crap job of hiring so you could enjoy firing people?
I took it as a failure of mine and my management in hiring if we had to fire a lot.
So much for personal responsibility.

You must be a far superior judge of people than myself. The only information I could get from past employers was meaningless as far as personality and performance. I've taken chances on people who seemed a little sub-par but needed a job badly, some were my best employees. I've also hired a few that seemed to be perfect until their "Eddie Haskell" front wore off and hands were caught in the cookie jar.
Just like when find a rodent in my house, I enjoy knowing I got em and they will never infest my property again. This has nothing to do with fairness...it's my call and I say what is fair. If the people I've fired had the ambition to start their own business, they would soon find out how hard it is to trust your financial life to sh$tty workers.

I have seen very successful people fail, and "losers" succeed. Figuring that out for your companies situation is called Management!. If you have to fire a lot of people, you are a crap manager.

The amount of people I fired was relative to the number of years I was in business...you don't know either of those numbers. You also need to figure in the occupation. I don't know how many mechanics you've hired, but there is a very wide range from apprentices to seasoned and sometimes the apprentices can become the best employees or the seasoned "pros" can be the worst. I had many years of the same employees who did great jobs and made great money...but things change over time. If you know anything about mechanics, you know the good ones are hard to find.

If you are suggesting that I was a bad manager, I would just say that you have no idea how important my customer base was to me. My reputation could quickly be destroyed if I kept the guys who left my customers stranded or misdiagnosed problems resulting in unfair billing... and all the teaching in the world won't fix some people.

But thanks for the indirect insult.

Any manage rthat enjoys firing the people they hired is by definition a bad manager.
Try hiring to meet the needs of of your customers. Quit blaming others for your failure to hire the right skills to run your business.
I love the way you "like to fire people" and take no responsibility for your crappy hiring skills.
A big part of successful management is hiring the right people and helping them be productive., take some ownership of your lack of hiring skills not pride in firing people. This is part of what is wrong with the small biz crowd. Quit congratulating yourself and recognize your failure.
My problem with "small business" types is you blame your employees, customers and vendors, never do you look at your own lack of ability. Small for a reason? No wonder 80% fail.

Never indirect .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jun 2012 18:11 #42 by FredHayek
One more example of how unprepared Obama was for the job. He hired the wrong people and hasn't had the sense to replace them like Holder and Geithner. Or know how to train them.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

03 Jun 2012 18:14 #43 by Arlen
Fred, you fail to recognize that jmc is taking the "high road" here. He's not bashing Romney, rather he is doing some innovative thinking here.

Or is jmc just trying to stop conservatives from pointing out Obama's total lack of experience and his accomplishment of failures?

03 Jun 2012 18:24 #44 by Rick

jmc wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote:

jmc wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote:

jmc wrote:

CritiKalbILL wrote: When I had my business, I LOVED TO FIRE PEOPLE. That's right, I said it. Because when I fired someone, it was only because they desreved to be fired. They either stole from me, or they continued to do sub-par work, even after being educated over and over againn about how to do the job properly, then reverting back to their old bad habbits.

I didn't start the business for the benefit of half-assed workers. I started it for the benefit of my family and anyone else that wanted to join the team and make the company grow.

The reason I enjoyed firing them was because when I did, those on the "half-assed work fence" suddenly found Jesus, put out better work, then got higher compensation. I was also able to bring in new people who were just as eager to do a good job (until they fell off the wagon).

So yes, firing dead weight is not only fun, it's also profitable! IMO, this is the main reason why our public schools suck so bad, and why unions in general create an environment of mediocre robots with no incentive to be the best they can be.

The only time firing hurt my heart, was when I was too sick to keep the business going and no longer had a choice.

Did you do crap job of hiring so you could enjoy firing people?
I took it as a failure of mine and my management in hiring if we had to fire a lot.
So much for personal responsibility.

You must be a far superior judge of people than myself. The only information I could get from past employers was meaningless as far as personality and performance. I've taken chances on people who seemed a little sub-par but needed a job badly, some were my best employees. I've also hired a few that seemed to be perfect until their "Eddie Haskell" front wore off and hands were caught in the cookie jar.
Just like when find a rodent in my house, I enjoy knowing I got em and they will never infest my property again. This has nothing to do with fairness...it's my call and I say what is fair. If the people I've fired had the ambition to start their own business, they would soon find out how hard it is to trust your financial life to sh$tty workers.

I have seen very successful people fail, and "losers" succeed. Figuring that out for your companies situation is called Management!. If you have to fire a lot of people, you are a crap manager.

The amount of people I fired was relative to the number of years I was in business...you don't know either of those numbers. You also need to figure in the occupation. I don't know how many mechanics you've hired, but there is a very wide range from apprentices to seasoned and sometimes the apprentices can become the best employees or the seasoned "pros" can be the worst. I had many years of the same employees who did great jobs and made great money...but things change over time. If you know anything about mechanics, you know the good ones are hard to find.

If you are suggesting that I was a bad manager, I would just say that you have no idea how important my customer base was to me. My reputation could quickly be destroyed if I kept the guys who left my customers stranded or misdiagnosed problems resulting in unfair billing... and all the teaching in the world won't fix some people.

But thanks for the indirect insult.

Any manage rthat enjoys firing the people they hired is by definition a bad manager.
Try hiring to meet the needs of of your customers. Quit blaming others for your failure to hire the right skills to run your business.
I love the way you "like to fire people" and take no responsibility for your crappy hiring skills.
A big part of successful management is hiring the right people and helping them be productive., take some ownership of your lack of hiring skills not pride in firing people. This is part of what is wrong with the small biz crowd. Quit congratulating yourself and recognize your failure.
My problem with "small business" types is you blame your employees, customers and vendors, never do you look at your own lack of ability. Small for a reason? No wonder 80% fail.

Never indirect .

I tried to be civil and have a decent conversatiion with you..but of course you just can't help yourself and have to insult me. So fuck off asshole.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

03 Jun 2012 18:53 #45 by JMC
I was being civil too. You said you liked to fire people that you hired if they didn't perform. I simply said that you have some responsibly and shouldn't "enjoy" your mistakes.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

04 Jun 2012 12:13 #46 by Martin Ent Inc
Be aware that BO hasn't fired Holder because he is grooming him for a Supreme Court Justice position.

04 Jun 2012 12:15 #47 by LadyJazzer
One can only hope....

04 Jun 2012 12:17 #48 by RenegadeCJ

LadyJazzer wrote: One can only hope....

Really? You would like to see a guy who is corrupt as Holder as a Supreme Court Justice?

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

04 Jun 2012 12:19 #49 by Martin Ent Inc
Yup liberals are pretty much the Zombies of the current admin. They believe the more Bo does to bring down this country with his crony advisers, the more they will be taken care of in the future. Sort of a Stepford America.

04 Jun 2012 12:21 #50 by Rick

Martin Ent Inc wrote: Be aware that BO hasn't fired Holder because he is grooming him for a Supreme Court Justice position.

If I worthless partisan hack like Holder could become a SC Justice, this country is truly screwed.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds