How To Improve The Presidential Debates?

01 Oct 2012 17:01 #11 by Grady

Democracy4Sale wrote: I think they should bring in one of those TeaParty audiences that cheer when someone says, "Should we let people die if they don't have insurance?"; and boo when someone says, "What are you going to do for my kid that just got diagnosed with leukemia?"; and boo when a soldier on active-duty says, "I'm gay...Are you going to support DADT?" I think we should let the viewers at home see--again--just what the GOTP stands for....

"Arguing with a liberal is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how well you play chess, the pigeon just knocks over all the pieces, craps on the board, spews some unintelligible profanities, and struts around like he won." ~Author unknown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Oct 2012 17:30 #12 by FredHayek
Hugh Hewitt has a column listing Obama's tells like stuttering and saying "um" means he is thinking up a lie. Side note. Might be snow in the forecast for Denver. Ski areas will like the press.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Oct 2012 20:10 #13 by PonyTail
They should be hooked up to lie detectors that deliver a shock every time they lie. Think about that for moment. Obama could light up the eastern seaboard and call it alternative fuel.

02 Oct 2012 08:21 #14 by Pony Soldier
Do the debates even matter any more? Everyone has already made up their mind if they have one. The candidates will follow Reagan's winning pattern of sticking to a few points and not really saying anything. Waste of time and money.

02 Oct 2012 08:24 #15 by FredHayek
I won't watch, but I will have the headphones on when I go for my evening walk. I do think 80% of people have decided and early voting has already begun in many states.

It will be interesting to see if I get a different take on the debate by listening instead of watching, like the Kennedy/Nixon debates.

02 Oct 2012 08:55 #16 by lionshead2010
To my point about the teleprompter. It seems that at least someone else understands the gravity of the situation for Mr. Obama.

Team Obama lowers expectations for first debate

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/election/2 ... st-debate/

Is Team Obama trying to lower the bar so the president can exceed it? Perhaps, but Obama has stumbled in the past when confronted by political opponents without the benefit of a script — most recently when his “You didn’t build that” line became a GOP rallying cry at the party’s recent convention. Obama’s line, intended to point out business owners didn’t help create infrastructures, was instead interpreted as a directive to business owners that they didn’t build their own companies.

02 Oct 2012 09:09 #17 by TPP
Put a 7 second delay on first, then add eletrodes to each side of their gentails, and each time they LIE, they get about 9 volts, (not enough to kill them), but enough so the FOLKS at home will know when they Lie. It will add time to the "debate", but it would be MUCH better TV watching enjoyment.

02 Oct 2012 09:48 #18 by lionshead2010
We could put a light bulb in their mouth....like Uncle Fester on the Munsters. Talk about solving an energy crisis.

02 Oct 2012 09:54 #19 by FredHayek

TPP wrote: Put a 7 second delay on first, then add eletrodes to each side of their gentails, and each time they LIE, they get about 9 volts, (not enough to kill them), but enough so the FOLKS at home will know when they Lie. It will add time to the "debate", but it would be MUCH better TV watching enjoyment.

Of course, sometimes they believe their own lies...

02 Oct 2012 18:12 #20 by Soulshiner

lionshead2010 wrote: To my point about the teleprompter. It seems that at least someone else understands the gravity of the situation for Mr. Obama.

Team Obama lowers expectations for first debate

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/election/2 ... st-debate/

Is Team Obama trying to lower the bar so the president can exceed it? Perhaps, but Obama has stumbled in the past when confronted by political opponents without the benefit of a script — most recently when his “You didn’t build that” line became a GOP rallying cry at the party’s recent convention. Obama’s line, intended to point out business owners didn’t help create infrastructures, was instead interpreted as a directive to business owners that they didn’t build their own companies.

Both parties do this. It's standard debate tactics.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds