How To Improve The Presidential Debates?

03 Oct 2012 08:39 #31 by FredHayek
Denver Post had a section today about debates. Sounds like they really weren't a big deal until the 1960 Kennedy/Nixon debates. Maybe time to quit them again?

It would be interesting to see it more in the style of Lincoln/Douglas than the modern style of short answer times and political posturing.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Oct 2012 08:53 #32 by TPP
Agreed,
If it was a REAL debate, may change things, but now they're made for ratings, NOT to inform.

03 Oct 2012 12:06 #33 by ScienceChic
I say we make a contest of who can spot the fallacies in each candidates arguments first! lol Bonus points if you point out the ones your own candidate makes. :thumbsup:

How to Prime Your BS Detection Skills Before the Presidential Debates
Thorin Klosowski
October 3, 2012

The presidential debates kick off tonight, and that means it's time to power up your BS detection machines. The debates are often a heated affair with lots of broken logic arguments, but thankfully they're pretty easy to catch. Here's how to make sure you don't get duped.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

03 Oct 2012 12:45 #34 by BearMtnHIB

TPP wrote: Put a 7 second delay on first, then add eletrodes to each side of their gentails, and each time they LIE, they get about 9 volts, (not enough to kill them), but enough so the FOLKS at home will know when they Lie.

I like the idea- but 9 volts? If we really want the truth, set it up at 240Vac, about 800Ma.

This way we really can see the lies clearly- and after the first lie- they would be much more apprehensive to tell a second.

You guys don't know squat about zingers- here are the right ones....
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75705&d=1308963195

:thumbsup:

04 Oct 2012 07:42 #35 by TPP
AC & 800ma, a tad much don't ya think?
If it really hurts them we'll get NOBODY to run, (which could be a trend... What if they had an election and NOBODY ran?)

Don't care to much for coconut, enjoy.

04 Oct 2012 08:33 #36 by bailey bud
Romney can easily win a debate by standing up and pointing out, "it's not working....."

It doesn't matter if we're talking about domestic or foreign policy - neither is working.

The facts alone put the ball in the challenger's hands.

I happen to agree --- it's not working ---- but I don't think it has much to do with the President.

Frankly, I think you're living in la-la land if you think one person can even begin to fix the problems.

America was already poised for a downward spiral in 2008. It was going to happen regardless of who's in office.

My expectation for the president was simple - just don't make it worse.

I'm worse off, now ----
a) inept energy policies and the fear of war in the gulf raised my energy costs (adding about 5 percent to my cost-of-living)
b) a combination of factors significantly raised the cost of food (adding almost 10 percent to my cost of living)
c) My health insurance premiums (for services which I very rarely utilize) are through the roof, reducing my disposable income by 5 percent.

I don't really need the President to ensure that my college tuition is regulated (the market does that by itself - it doesn't need government). I don't really need the President to tell me how to build a retirement fund (my portfolio out-performs Social Security 3-to-1, thank-you).

Nor do I need the President to pursue a bunch of token moral-value initiatives that cost plenty, and profit us virtually nothing.

At the same time - I don't need the President to start a war.

I disclosed earlier that I'm picking between a vote for Romney and a vote for nobody. Right now, I'm leaning toward the later.

My expectation remains the same --- just don't make it worse.

That said, Hayek's research made it clear several decades ago --- "worse" is just about the only thing government is good at accomplishing.

04 Oct 2012 08:50 #37 by Rick
Watch for a big change in the next debate. I predict the moderator(s) will construct the questions differently to help Obama attack Romney's weaknesses since Obama was unable to on his own. You'll also see Obama smiling alot and making eye contact instead of looking down at his notes. I'm hoping Obama will be so concerned about his style, that he goes into brain-fart mode.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

04 Oct 2012 08:54 #38 by TPP

Heisenberg wrote: Watch for a big change in the next debate. I predict the moderator(s) will construct the questions differently to help Obama attack Romney's weaknesses since Obama was unable to on his own. You'll also see Obama smiling alot and making eye contact instead of looking down at his notes.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Heisenberg wrote: I'm hoping Obama will be so concerned about his style, that he goes into brain-fart mode.

How would that be different then last night?
Can't wait to hear biden, put foot in mouth, try to take foot out of mouth, repeat.

04 Oct 2012 08:58 #39 by Reverend Revelant
"How To Improve The Presidential Debates?"

Keep Obama out of them.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

04 Oct 2012 09:00 #40 by Rick

TPP wrote:

Heisenberg wrote: Watch for a big change in the next debate. I predict the moderator(s) will construct the questions differently to help Obama attack Romney's weaknesses since Obama was unable to on his own. You'll also see Obama smiling alot and making eye contact instead of looking down at his notes.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Heisenberg wrote: I'm hoping Obama will be so concerned about his style, that he goes into brain-fart mode.

How would that be different then last night?
Can't wait to hear biden, put foot in mouth, try to take foot out of mouth, repeat.

Biden will go off like a cranky old man with a failing mind. He's going to act all tough to make up for Obama being such a pussy. Problem is, he's the gaffe master and is too stupid to keep up with Rubio.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds