And so it begins

02 Apr 2013 12:24 #11 by Soulshiner
Replied by Soulshiner on topic And so it begins
And now birdwatchers, mushroom gathers, skateboarders, gas station employees and kid's party clowns will visit neighboring states over Colorado...

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Apr 2013 12:47 #12 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic And so it begins

because it's not like these laws are all that restrictive and will harm business -

What makes you think businesses won't be hurt?

....also....what makes you believe people will move here to fill the void?

02 Apr 2013 12:58 #13 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic And so it begins

Soulshiner wrote: And now birdwatchers, mushroom gathers, skateboarders, gas station employees and kid's party clowns will visit neighboring states over Colorado...

Good to know you aren't worried about it but the towns of the western slope are. And Colorado just got their unemployment numbers below national.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Apr 2013 13:18 #14 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic And so it begins

frogger wrote:

because it's not like these laws are all that restrictive and will harm business -

Some tourism-related businesses will be in the short-term, for sure, but I was talking about gun manufacturers specifically. What percentage of their sales are directly impacted by these laws, which from everything I've been hearing and reading, aren't enforceable anyway?

frogger wrote: ....also....what makes you believe people will move here to fill the void?

People get over their outrage. Businesses move in where there's a market and they can make money, especially after time has passed and the furor died down; it's human nature. The majority of tourists who come here are going to continue to do so because they love what Colorado has to offer - there's a lot more to tourism than hunting. Please remember, I'm a big picture, evolution-based analysis girl :) - laws don't effectively impact consumer behavior nearly as much as supply and demand, and as long as there are gun owners here, they will buy their supplies wherever they can find them, whether here in CO or across state lines; and companies will still make those supplies, whether here or across state lines. And as long as owning guns is still legal, and hunting is still legal, people will still own guns and still hunt - these are far from "we're taking all your guns from you" laws (that's a whole 'nother issue :wink: ).

Has anyone done any studies on how much tourism is based on gun-related activities, or how these laws will directly impact tourism and consumer spending on weapons? I just don't think anyone can assume that it's going to be as bad as I keep hearing it will be until the laws are implemented and the effects measured.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Apr 2013 13:23 #15 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic And so it begins
It will be hard to tell how much effect the boycott will have, but small towns that depend on hunting noticed the effects quickly after the recession and many out of state hunters had to cancel their yearly trip to Colorado.

And if you have been around Crested Butte in the summer, it seems like there are more Texas plates than Colorado so tourism is big business.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Apr 2013 13:38 #16 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic And so it begins
Somehow I don't think Texans will stop going to Crested Butte because of reasonable gun-control laws...

But you let me know when you have a number, okay?... (un-sourced, as usual)..

02 Apr 2013 13:52 #17 by Reverend Revelant
Replied by Reverend Revelant on topic And so it begins

LadyJazzer wrote: Wow... That must represent at least 12 people... If they find they "like it better" for no other reason than reasonable gun-control laws, then.... :wave:

And... and... I think if we ride this wave... we can start on Red Ryder BB guns next (after all... you'll shoot your eye out), paintball guns (I don't think a paintball gun should hold more than 8 ounces of paint, those 4 gallon magazines are downright dangerous)... and honestly, last night I cut my finger on some printer paper... paper has to go.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

02 Apr 2013 13:53 #18 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic And so it begins
That's just silly! :biggrin: And you should be more careful with that paper, it is dangerous you know! :wink:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Apr 2013 14:00 #19 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic And so it begins

Science Chic wrote:

frogger wrote:

Some tourism-related businesses will be in the short-term, for sure, but I was talking about gun manufacturers specifically. What percentage of their sales are directly impacted by these laws, which from everything I've been hearing and reading, aren't enforceable anyway?

frogger wrote: ....also....what makes you believe people will move here to fill the void?

People get over their outrage. Businesses move in where there's a market and they can make money, especially after time has passed and the furor died down; it's human nature. The majority of tourists who come here are going to continue to do so because they love what Colorado has to offer - there's a lot more to tourism than hunting. Please remember, I'm a big picture, evolution-based analysis girl :) - laws don't effectively impact consumer behavior nearly as much as supply and demand, and as long as there are gun owners here, they will buy their supplies wherever they can find them, whether here in CO or across state lines; and companies will still make those supplies, whether here or across state lines. And as long as owning guns is still legal, and hunting is still legal, people will still own guns and still hunt - these are far from "we're taking all your guns from you" laws (that's a whole 'nother issue :wink: ).

Has anyone done any studies on how much tourism is based on gun-related activities, or how these laws will directly impact tourism and consumer spending on weapons? I just don't think anyone can assume that it's going to be as bad as I keep hearing it will be until the laws are implemented and the effects measured.

It is strange that someone who owns a business that depends on the 1st amendment is so nonchalant about businesses that depend on the 2nd amendment. I know many owners of gun related businesses, and they expect to be severely impacted by these laws. I don't think it is a much of an impact on tourists, but rather those of us who are law abiding citizens who participate in shooting sports. These laws basically make those of us who obey the law criminals...because if we want certain firearms, we must cross state lines, and then bring those back here.

You also give way too much credence to the lack of "we're taking your guns from you" laws, when this is exactly what some legislators want. Camels nose under the tent. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite you one day...your flippant disregard of the 2nd amendment...which is the one amendment that protects all the others.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

02 Apr 2013 14:08 #20 by Reverend Revelant
Replied by Reverend Revelant on topic And so it begins

Science Chic wrote: That's just silly! :biggrin: And you should be more careful with that paper, it is dangerous you know! :wink:

Ok... how about those DANGEROUS vaccines...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-carre ... 89777.html

Jim Carrey... the big anti-gun jerk... this makes him sound like a Luddite.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds