And so it begins

02 Apr 2013 14:20 #21 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic And so it begins
They sound like a bunch of cry-baby losers. Pretty stupid response as the people whose pocket books they will be hurting are not the ones who matter or who supported this law to begin with.
I did not support these laws BTW

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Apr 2013 14:27 #22 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic And so it begins
I'm sorry Renegade, if that's how it came across, but a flippant attitude is certainly not the attitude that I have regarding the 2nd Amendment. I was at the last 285 Tea Party meeting, I listened to Sheriff Wegener and Sheriff Mink scoff at these laws and how they see almost no way that they will be enforceable, and tell us that every sheriff in the state of CO voted against these laws and were not even consulted about how to enforce them before they were passed so I highly doubt that lawful gun owners are now going to automatically become "criminals" - I see that as pure hysteria that interested parties have in flaming up in people right now.

Again, some legislators may want to "go there" on taking away all guns, but do you seriously see that happening in this country in our lifetime? Is this something worth worrying about while keeping that thought in mind? You may consider it flippant, I consider it practical and reality-based. I just don't get worked up over that which is unlikely to pass.

I disagree that the 2nd Amendment protects all the others - what protects us the most is our right to vote, not our guns - we have the power to affect legislation through our representatives in a peaceful manner, which for some reason many have lost faith in that they can make a difference, but our system is still built upon that and nothing has indicated that it will change anytime soon. We have far more to fear from our own stupid short-sightedness and destructive human tendencies in the natural world than we ever do an anarchy occurring in this country.

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Science Chic wrote: That's just silly! :biggrin: And you should be more careful with that paper, it is dangerous you know! :wink:

Ok... how about those DANGEROUS vaccines...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-carre ... 89777.html

Jim Carrey... the big anti-gun jerk... this makes him sound like a Luddite.

And? Who listens to an actor about health issues, much less gun issues, and assumes they are an expert? Especially one who spews that junk because his model/actress ex-wife brainwashed him into it? I hope you're smarter than that TLGT. :wink:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Apr 2013 14:32 #23 by Reverend Revelant
Replied by Reverend Revelant on topic And so it begins

Science Chic wrote: [snip snip] And? Who listens to an actor about health issues, much less gun issues, and assumes they are an expert?... [snip snip]

A lot of people...

(watch it all - not safe for work)

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/0433b3 ... jim-carrey

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

02 Apr 2013 14:43 #24 by Soulshiner
Replied by Soulshiner on topic And so it begins

FredHayek wrote:

Soulshiner wrote: And now birdwatchers, mushroom gathers, skateboarders, gas station employees and kid's party clowns will visit neighboring states over Colorado...

Good to know you aren't worried about it but the towns of the western slope are. And Colorado just got their unemployment numbers below national.

Source please. For both claim please.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

02 Apr 2013 15:07 - 02 Apr 2013 16:26 #25 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic And so it begins
Denver Post for both. You didn't know that about Colorado unemployment numbers? You must be one of those low information voters Rush talks about.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Apr 2013 15:55 #26 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic And so it begins

Science Chic wrote: I'm sorry Renegade, if that's how it came across, but a flippant attitude is certainly not the attitude that I have regarding the 2nd Amendment. I was at the last 285 Tea Party meeting, I listened to Sheriff Wegener and Sheriff Mink scoff at these laws and how they see almost no way that they will be enforceable, and tell us that every sheriff in the state of CO voted against these laws and were not even consulted about how to enforce them before they were passed so I highly doubt that lawful gun owners are now going to automatically become "criminals" - I see that as pure hysteria that interested parties have in flaming up in people right now.

Again, some legislators may want to "go there" on taking away all guns, but do you seriously see that happening in this country in our lifetime? Is this something worth worrying about while keeping that thought in mind? You may consider it flippant, I consider it practical and reality-based. I just don't get worked up over that which is unlikely to pass.

I disagree that the 2nd Amendment protects all the others - what protects us the most is our right to vote, not our guns - we have the power to affect legislation through our representatives in a peaceful manner, which for some reason many have lost faith in that they can make a difference, but our system is still built upon that and nothing has indicated that it will change anytime soon. We have far more to fear from our own stupid short-sightedness and destructive human tendencies in the natural world than we ever do an anarchy occurring in this country.

The problem is...things change. Already legislators are proposing bills that would remove Sheriffs from their job if they don't enforce this law http://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB2167 Are they unenforcable? Maybe...but should a law abiding citizen even have to take the chance of being arrested

Yes, I know as a science person, you are based in the practical. Problem is, we are talking about govt, and practical is something that isn't even in their vocabulary. It is about control, and there is nothing more controlling than making sure those who you want to control have no way to fight back. Our founding fathers were very intelligent to include the 2nd amendment. They understood that this is the only way to guarantee our freedom from a tyrannical govt.

Do I see gun confiscation happening in our lifetime? No, probably not, but just like my other philosophical ideals, I'm thinking of the next generation, just like I am regarding our current spending which is destroying the next generation. If you had asked me 20 yrs ago if we would pass laws which only affected law abiding citizens ability to adequately defend themselves, I would have said you were crazy, but here we are. Evil exists, and they don't abide by laws. I've seen it, and spent way too many hours of my life going thru all the criminal elements in this country.

I hope you are right, and the right to vote will always work. I fear it will not. I see more and more attempts at control each and every year.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

02 Apr 2013 16:05 #27 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic And so it begins

LadyJazzer wrote: Yeah, taking back the presidency from Obama; and control of the Colorado House of Representatives worked so well for you last time...

Yep, the 4-8% of the radical gun-nuts are gonna whip it on the 60+ of Coloradans that are FOR reasonable gun-control laws...

Rave on....

Looks like support is dropping off

graphs of support

Obama's numbers are upside down again
clicky

Feinstein's bill is dead in the water

02 Apr 2013 16:12 #28 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic And so it begins

Science Chic wrote:

frogger wrote:

because it's not like these laws are all that restrictive and will harm business -

What makes you think businesses won't be hurt?

Some tourism-related businesses will be in the short-term, for sure, but I was talking about gun manufacturers specifically. What percentage of their sales are directly impacted by these laws, which from everything I've been hearing and reading, aren't enforceable anyway?

frogger wrote: ....also....what makes you believe people will move here to fill the void?

People get over their outrage. Businesses move in where there's a market and they can make money, especially after time has passed and the furor died down; it's human nature. The majority of tourists who come here are going to continue to do so because they love what Colorado has to offer - there's a lot more to tourism than hunting. Please remember, I'm a big picture, evolution-based analysis girl :) - laws don't effectively impact consumer behavior nearly as much as supply and demand, and as long as there are gun owners here, they will buy their supplies wherever they can find them, whether here in CO or across state lines; and companies will still make those supplies, whether here or across state lines. And as long as owning guns is still legal, and hunting is still legal, people will still own guns and still hunt - these are far from "we're taking all your guns from you" laws (that's a whole 'nother issue :wink: ).

Has anyone done any studies on how much tourism is based on gun-related activities, or how these laws will directly impact tourism and consumer spending on weapons? I just don't think anyone can assume that it's going to be as bad as I keep hearing it will be until the laws are implemented and the effects measured.

It was at the end of the original link posted http://www.shootingwire.com/story/284042

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, hunters and shooters, as well as the firearms industry, play a major role in Colorado's economy. There is over $590 million in annual revenue generated by the firearms industry in the state while Colorado's 259,200 hunters spend another $465 million annually.

That is almost 1 billion dollars of revenue.
If this boycott gains enough traction we will feel the effects in one way or another.

02 Apr 2013 16:33 #29 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic And so it begins
Interesting story in the NRA magazine this month. There was a Harrisburg Pennsylvania outdoor sports trade show. Biggest one in the east for the industry. The show organizers banned semiautomatic firearms from being shown. Cabela's and other exhibitors quit the show and it actually had to be cancelled.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Apr 2013 16:57 #30 by archer
Replied by archer on topic And so it begins

RenegadeCJ wrote: If you had asked me 20 yrs ago if we would pass laws which only affected law abiding citizens ability to adequately defend themselves, I would have said you were crazy, but here we are.

How, exactly, do the laws in Colorado effect law abiding citizens ability to adequately defend themselves?

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds