Catholic Church denounces capitalism

16 May 2013 11:51 #1 by Something the Dog Said
Pope Francis denounced the "cult of money" that has "tyrannized" the poor and working classes.

"Pope Francis has called on world leaders to put an end to the "cult of money" and to do more to help the poor, warning that insecurity was rising in many regions of the world and the "joy of life" was diminishing in developed countries.
"The worship of the golden calf of old has found a new and heartless image in the cult of money and the dictatorship of an economy which is faceless and lacking any truly human goal," Francis said in an address to ambassadors to the Vatican."

"The Pope said that radical free-market ideologies had created "a new, invisible, and at times virtual, tyranny" and human beings "considered as consumer goods" and called for global financial reform that would benefit everyone.

"Solidarity, which is the treasure of the poor, is often considered counterproductive, opposed to the logic of finance and the economy. While the income of a [minority] is increasing exponentially, that of the majority is crumbling," he said."

"I encourage the financial experts and the political leaders of your countries to consider the words of St John Chrysostom 'Not to share one's goods with the poor is to rob them'", he said.

Unchecked capitalism had created “a new, invisible, and at times virtual, tyranny”, said the former Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... money.html

Hmm, wonder if he is considering excommunicating Paul Ryan?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 May 2013 11:57 #2 by FredHayek
The Church has always had an issue with capitalism.
Part of it is because it takes people away from religion, the cult of money.

"Unchecked capitalism"? Where do they have that? It seems to be pretty regulated everywhere.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 May 2013 14:13 #3 by Reverend Revelant
Liberation Theology at it's finest :bash

And Fred is basically correct. Look at third world countries where the Catholic Church is so entrenched. Notice how after all the years the church has been operating in those areas... the poor parishioners are still... well... poor parishioners.

But Dog... I'm glad to see you are agreeing with the Pope... I can't wait for you to tell us how abortions are murder?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

16 May 2013 14:15 #4 by Rick

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote: Liberation Theology at it's finest :bash

And Fred is basically correct. Look at third world countries where the Catholic Church is so entrenched. Notice how after all the years the church has been operating in those areas... the poor parishioners are still... well... poor parishioners.

But Dog... I'm glad to see you are agreeing with the Pope... I can't wait for you to tell us how abortions are murder?

:rofllol :pop

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 May 2013 14:27 #5 by FredHayek
And consider this, in the years before unrestrained capitalism, people lived short, brutish lives. The countries that have industrialized and have moved from goverment controlled economies like China and India to a more capitalist based economy have seen quality & duration of life improve.

But Dog is getting nostalgic for the theocracies of the past, like Iran, which has seen their standard of living fall. Or compare North Korea where capitalism is highly restricted and South Korea where capitalism is worshipped, where do you want to live?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 May 2013 14:51 #6 by Rick
Dog needs VL here to back him up... he's as anti-capitalism as you can get.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 May 2013 15:10 #7 by Something the Dog Said
Why would I be against capitalism? I am a huge proponent of it, but I also believe in helping those in need of assistance. I am just against those who try to claim moral clarity in order to justify their own selfishness.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

16 May 2013 15:11 #8 by Reverend Revelant

FredHayek wrote: And consider this, in the years before unrestrained capitalism, people lived short, brutish lives. The countries that have industrialized and have moved from goverment controlled economies like China and India to a more capitalist based economy have seen quality & duration of life improve.

But Dog is getting nostalgic for the theocracies of the past, like Iran, which has seen their standard of living fall. Or compare North Korea where capitalism is highly restricted and South Korea where capitalism is worshipped, where do you want to live?

Where do you think Dog would be most comfortable? Right where she/he/it lives right now... the USA... brought to you by... CAPITALISM.

16 May 2013 15:13 #9 by Reverend Revelant

Something the Dog Said wrote: Why would I be against capitalism? I am a huge proponent of it, but I also believe in helping those in need of assistance. I am just against those who try to claim moral clarity in order to justify their own selfishness.

And of course you are judge and jury of who those people are? Right? Yea... sure.

16 May 2013 15:15 #10 by Something the Dog Said
So you believe Americans should turn their back on the teachings of Christ and worship at the altar of money?

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds