NSA collecting records from millions of phones daily

06 Jun 2013 06:25 #11 by FredHayek
Agree. Thought it was wrong under "W". And think it is just as wrong under Obama.

:idea: LJ, tired of being an apologist for the Obama administration? If not, Jay Carney would like to take a few months off.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jun 2013 07:10 #12 by Reverend Revelant
Here's one difference between the Bush administration's use of warrantless phone call collection and the current situation...

The broad, unlimited nature of the records being handed over to the NSA is unusual. FISA court orders typically direct the production of records pertaining to a specific named target suspected of being an agent of a terrorist group or foreign state, or a finite set of individually named targets. NSA warrantless wiretapping during the George W. Bush administration after the 9/11 attacks was very controversial.

http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-defen ... 35514.html

The Bush administration asked for "records pertaining to a specific named target"... the Obama administration has been collecting information on EVERY Verizon customer... and don't bet Sprint and so on haven't been operating under the same orders.

The IRS snooping, The AP phone records, the Fox reporter, rewriting and manipulating the Benghazi story... Verizon... do you really still trust your government?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

06 Jun 2013 07:33 #13 by Reverend Revelant
Maybe Lady Jazzer is not concerned... but Mark Udall is...

"While I cannot corroborate the details of this particular report, this sort of wide scale surveillance should concern all of us and is the kind of government overreach I've said Americans would find shocking," said Sen. Mark Udall, D-Colorado, who serves on the Senate Intelligence Committee.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/06/politics/ ... ?hpt=hp_t2

"Can you spy me now?"

06 Jun 2013 07:36 #14 by Reverend Revelant
The new Ministry of Truth...

[center:1pn4swrp]

[/center:1pn4swrp]

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/0 ... atacenter/

06 Jun 2013 07:45 - 06 Jun 2013 08:01 #15 by LadyJazzer
I'm not apologizing for the Obama administration... You tired of defending Bush (or acting like he didn't exist) yet? :idea:

I'll keep cramming the FACTS down your throat as long as you want to keep it up... You want to keep continuing the hypocrisy of what "Obama is doing", when it's Bush who started it, opened the door to it, and you guys NEVER SAID A FRIGGIN' WORD about it at the time. NOW, all of a sudden, you "don't approve." You defended it at the time, so I'm not interested in ""thought it was wrong" now.

I'm as angry TODAY at the NSA, the so-called (ridiculously-named) "Patriot Act", the "Terrorist Surveillance Program", and the "National Security Letters"...The difference is, I said so THEN, and I'm saying so NOW. You guys "traded 'Essential Liberty' for a little "Temporary Safety", and now that you've figured out that you got neither, you want to hang it on Obama for continuing the same policies "in the name of security." Every attempt to rescind and rollback these outrageous intrusions on the 1st, 4th, 5th and 14th Amendments has been BLOCKED by the REPUBLICAN PARTY, and the law enforcement agencies like the NSA, the FBI, and others we may not even know about. Your silliness that "Obama should have rolled it back" rings a little hollow, when you were in bed with the Bush Party that used 9/11 as a door to set up something that can't be killed. The GOTP opened up the door, and now you can't put the horses back in. Congratulations.

This is a bipartisan intrusion in the long-gone privacy-rights of EVERY American, and neither party is going to stop it. You can hang it around your own neck... And I congratulate you for finally figuring out what happened, and finally coming to the table with the lightbulb on over your head of what started in 2003...

:idea: Duh...

White House Defends NSA Collection Of Phone Records

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Thursday defended the National Security Agency's need to collect telephone records of U.S. citizens, calling such information "a critical tool in protecting the nation from terrorist threats."

[Wellllll, if you use "protecting the nation from terrorist threats" in a sentence, you can do ANYTHING you want to...Right, Dubyah? Right, Obama?]

The broad, unlimited nature of the records being handed over to the NSA is unusual. FISA court orders typically direct the production of records pertaining to a specific named target suspected of being an agent of a terrorist group or foreign state, or a finite set of individually named targets. NSA warrantless wiretapping during the George W. Bush administration after the 9/11 attacks was very controversial.

The FISA court order, signed by Judge Roger Vinson, compelled Verizon to provide the NSA with electronic copies of "all call detail records or telephony metadata created by Verizon for communications between the United States and abroad" or "wholly within the United States, including local telephone calls," The Guardian said.

The law on which the order explicitly relies is the "business records" provision of the USA Patriot Act.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/0 ... 95423.html

Yeah, who passed the phony "USA Patriot Act"?... BOTH parties.... Who RENEWED it?....BOTH parties....

Save your hypocrisy for someone who doesn't remember what you guys defended and supported for 7 years, before Obama even got into office.

06 Jun 2013 07:56 #16 by LadyJazzer
Now watch the DoJ go after the Guardian for releasing the classified document that blew the whistle on this Verison NSL, and the scooping up of these phone records....

Bah...

06 Jun 2013 08:06 #17 by FOS
They did it so we can mentality. Sounds about morally correct to me.
Did anyone here defend the actions posted by LJ?
How many Democrats supported the Patriot Act at the time?
Hypocrisy? hmmm
Fact.....or Opinion being shoved down our throats?

06 Jun 2013 08:10 #18 by Reverend Revelant
And LJ's assumptions that I supported what Bush was doing (I didn't even vote for him) is part of her bigoted tunnel-vision of conservatives. She wouldn't have a argument to stand on if she looked at individuals instead of labels. Her's is the easy way out.

06 Jun 2013 09:35 #19 by FredHayek
Whenever you think it can't get worse it does! They go from wiretapping reporters and goverment whistleblowers to wiretapping EVERYONE.

They just don't think the rules apply to them, do they?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

06 Jun 2013 10:05 #20 by Reverend Revelant

FredHayek wrote: Whenever you think it can't get worse it does! They go from wiretapping reporters and goverment whistleblowers to wiretapping EVERYONE.

They just don't think the rules apply to them, do they?

The did not wiretap anyone.

Time to create page: 0.466 seconds