In case anyone cares...

01 Aug 2013 14:40 - 01 Oct 2014 22:58 #111 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic In case anyone cares...
Good rule of thumb, as explained to me last night by my best friend from grad school when she talks to her niece about posting on facebook:

If it's something that you can't say in front of your mother or your Aunt without getting smacked or yelled at, then don't post it. If it's something that would keep you from getting a job when a potential employer looks up your internet history (like saying you hate all Asians, even though you were only age 12 at the time you posted that and had never even met an Asian in the tiny little southern town you grew up in), then don't post it.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Old woman is uncalled for. Either call her archer, or don't refer to her specifically at all.

Libtard is not specific to archer or anyone, but a general insult, so it doesn't qualify as a personal insult that belongs in the Ring. However, it would drive people away who lurk or are new visitors. Do you want this site to grow and succeed, or just selfishly promote your own agenda? I get flack for allowing teabagger, but I've allowed libtard too, so that falls back into my earlier question: do you all want general insults to be only allowed in the Ring as well, or can we behave ourselves and refrain from general insults so we can have some great debate about issues and not each other in the Courthouse? (Did anyone read the article I linked in my last post? Doesn't that sound wonderful how it used to be? There's no reason it can't be that way again)

Narcissist is a descriptor of how you are acting based on how you treat others with what you post. Your posts before now have been way harsher to archer, but we didn't move them because this thread is still a good thread. Troll can be a descriptor also, if the poster had said "you are acting like a troll" rather than "you are a troll". I'm not a hard-ass so we're not going to move the very first insult that gets tossed out, or a whole thread for a few bad posts, but if that starts to turn the conversation south then we'll split the whole thread and watch how other threads start to go - as it said in that article I posted, moderating is an art, not a science. Everyone has bad day where their fuse is shorter than others and they are more sensitive and take things more personally than they would on any other day. It happens, we get it and don't hold it against anyone - that's why we work with posters, not come down from on high. (Now, someone constantly acting nasty is a whole 'nother matter that we handle differently). The best way to handle comments like "old woman" and "you are a troll" is to ignore it and get back to the debate about the issue, but we aren't going to tolerate personal attacks on another member for just their beliefs which is why I posted what I did in my last post. Because general insults are too often taken personally, this puts this whole issue into a gray area so that's why I'm asking all of you for feedback - how do you want it?

Post civilly and you won't get nasty comments back, it's that simple. I'm not going to turn Pinecam and protect everyone to the point of taking responsibility for all posts and having to delete nasty stuff left right and center. If you want to be treated nicer, post nicer - it's that easy - and if you post nasty, don't be surprised when all you get is nasty back and we move your sh** out. If all you want to do is rant about how bad the global warming deniers are f***ing everything up, rant away in the Ring with the foulest language you know, but don't make it about anyone here who may not agree with you- they have reasons for not believing and it's going to be a lot more fun to find out what those reasons are and poke holes in them than just bitch and vent. :graduate:

Because at the end of the day, you aren't going to change policy in DC by belittling a poster here, but you can tell people what you believe and why and maybe you'll change some minds and start to build a force to be reckoned with. Be yourself, be honest, but be kind and courteous and you'll win more hearts and minds.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Aug 2013 14:51 #112 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic In case anyone cares...

Science Chic wrote: Good rule of thumb, as explained to me last night by my best friend from grad school when she talks to her niece about posting on facebook:

If it's something that you can't say in front of your mother or your Aunt without getting smacked or yelled at, then don't post it. If it's something that would keep you from getting a job when a potential employer looks up your internet history (like saying you hate all Asians, even though you were only age 12 at the time you posted that and had never even met an Asian in the tiny little southern town you grew up in), then don't post it.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Old woman is uncalled for. Either call her archer, or don't refer to her specifically at all.

Libtard is not specific to archer or anyone, but a general insult, so it doesn't qualify as a personal insult that belongs in the Ring. However, it would drive people away who lurk or are new visitors. Do you want this site to grow and succeed, or just selfishly promote your own agenda? I get flack for allowing teabagger, but I've allowed libtard too, so that falls back into my earlier question: do you all want general insults to be only allowed in the Ring as well, or can we behave ourselves and refrain from general insults so we can have some great debate about issues and not each other in the Courthouse? (Did anyone read the article I linked in my last post? Doesn't that sound wonderful how it used to be? There's no reason it can't be that way again)

Narcissist is a descriptor of how you are acting based on how you treat others with what you post. Your posts before now have been way harsher to archer, but we didn't move them because this thread is still a good thread. Troll can be a descriptor also, if the poster had said "you are acting like a troll" rather than "you are a troll". I'm not a hard-ass so we're not going to move the very first insult that gets tossed out, or a whole thread for a few bad posts, but if that starts to turn the conversation south then we'll split the whole thread and watch how other threads start to go - as it said in that article I posted, moderating is an art, not a science. Everyone has bad day where their fuse is shorter than others and they are more sensitive and take things more personally than they would on any other day. It happens, we get it and don't hold it against anyone - that's why we work with posters, not come down from on high. (Now, someone constantly acting nasty is a whole 'nother matter that we handle differently). The best way to handle comments like "old woman" and "you are a troll" is to ignore it and get back to the debate about the issue, but we aren't going to tolerate personal attacks on another member for just their beliefs which is why I posted what I did in my last post. Because general insults are too often taken personally, this puts this whole issue into a gray area so that's why I'm asking all of you for feedback - how do you want it?

Post civilly and you won't get nasty comments back, it's that simple. I'm not going to turn Pinecam and protect everyone to the point of taking responsibility for all posts and having to delete nasty stuff left right and center. If you want to be treated nicer, post nicer - it's that easy - and if you post nasty, don't be surprised when all you get is nasty back and we move your sh** out. If all you want to do is rant about how bad the global warming deniers are f***ing everything up, rant away in the Ring with the foulest language you know, but don't make it about anyone here who may not agree with you- they have reasons for not believing and it's going to be a lot more fun to find out what those reasons are and poke holes in them than just bitch and vent. :graduate:

Because at the end of the day, you aren't going to change policy in DC by belittling a poster here, but you can tell people what you believe and why and maybe you'll change some minds and start to build a force to be reckoned with. Be yourself, be honest, but be kind and courteous and you'll win more hearts and minds.

Well said

01 Aug 2013 16:10 #113 by Reverend Revelant
Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

01 Aug 2013 16:11 #114 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic In case anyone cares...
:rofllol

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

01 Aug 2013 16:29 #115 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic In case anyone cares...

Nmysys wrote: Well get used to it old woman. You have had it easy for long enough. The community needs the service I provide of not putting up with your LIBTARD insanity.

I noticed that you haven't replied to my question to you of stating all the wonderful accomplishments of your messiah.

Comments like this detract from your message. If your words are true, no insults are necessary to convey them. Only when you feel you are speaking from a position of weakness is it necessary to throw out inflammatory names to attempt to distract the readers from your content. As soon as insult fly, I lose all respect for the poster. We have worked hard on this board to encourage intelligent discourse. We hope you will join in and not become the lowest common denominator.

01 Aug 2013 16:30 #116 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic In case anyone cares...
The Social Network!

:rofllol :rofllol ok that was uncalled for but had to type it tongue:

01 Aug 2013 16:42 - 01 Aug 2013 16:44 #117 by archer
Replied by archer on topic In case anyone cares...

Nmysys wrote: Well get used to it old woman. You have had it easy for long enough. The community needs the service I provide of not putting up with your LIBTARD insanity.

I noticed that you haven't replied to my question to you of stating all the wonderful accomplishments of your messiah.

Sorry... I am unaware of any messiah other than the one described in the Bible. Perhaps if you read about him you would treat others with more respect.

01 Aug 2013 16:44 #118 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic In case anyone cares...
I would ask you to go back and read how this whole thing developed. I said I don't care about L.J. and Archer, and got jumped on by the OLD WOMAN. And then some jerk by the name of Hillfarmer decided to start with calling names. Since this is still nothing but a Pinecam replica for LIBTARDS only I will say adieu. Enjoy your lIberal playground. I can find better people to debate with than the Old Woman and ChicKaree anywhere.

Grady if you want to bring the issue to the surface you are welcome to, but the truth is you are probably the same jerk you were two years ago.

Bye all.

01 Aug 2013 16:47 #119 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic In case anyone cares...
Miss you already.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

01 Aug 2013 17:02 #120 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic In case anyone cares...

Nmysys wrote: I would ask you to go back and read how this whole thing developed. I said I don't care about L.J. and Archer, and got jumped on by the OLD WOMAN. And then some jerk by the name of Hillfarmer decided to start with calling names. Since this is still nothing but a Pinecam replica for LIBTARDS only I will say adieu. Enjoy your lIberal playground. I can find better people to debate with than the Old Woman and ChicKaree anywhere.

Grady if you want to bring the issue to the surface you are welcome to, but the truth is you are probably the same jerk you were two years ago.

Bye all.

In order for it to be a debate, one must actually set forth points defending their point of view. Walking to the lectern and spouting perjoratives does not qualify. There are many conserves ter on here who can state their point courteously and eloquently. You might consider reading and learning how it is done.

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds