Marginalization of Obama, Trump wastes no time

26 Nov 2016 12:56 #41 by hillfarmer
Good, level-headed post, SC. It scored a predictable, ad-hominem troll attack, but you make a valid point. We probably won't see the level of chaos that the alt-right is predicting, but there will be significant changes to the educational system and medical insurance. If the changes are useful, great. If the changes simply remove millions from medical insurance and provide vouchers for religious schools while degrading public schools, the election in two years will be even more interesting than this one was.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Nov 2016 12:59 #42 by ScienceChic
If people weren't voting for Republicans, how do you explain them obtaining/keeping the majority in both houses of Congress?

I'm highly skeptical that things will change drastically, but time will tell. As you yourself pointed out, Trump was fought by Republicans and they control what legislation is passed and what Supreme Court Justices are approved, not him. Not to mention that he's already reneging on some his campaign promises. I'll bet you the status quo is maintained more than not. Citizens United won't be negated, they may or may not be able to repeal the ACA - they have to come up with something that will be palatable to their puppet masters to replace it with. McConnell has already said that no way in hell will he allow term limits to be passed, and I'll be shocked if he actually starts deporting illegals en masse.

Here Is What Donald Trump Wants To Do In His First 100 Days

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Nov 2016 15:21 #43 by ramage
Do you seriously believe that the Senate would not confirm any of the SC justices that Mr. Trump has proffered during the election?Two other questions, who are the "they" you refer to in your sentence, - they have to come up with something that will be palatable to their puppet masters to replace it with", and who are the "puppet masters"?

26 Nov 2016 15:51 #44 by Arlen

ramage wrote: Do you seriously believe that the Senate would not confirm any of the SC justices that Mr. Trump has proffered during the election?Two other questions, who are the "they" you refer to in your sentence, - they have to come up with something that will be palatable to their puppet masters to replace it with", and who are the "puppet masters"?

Naw, the liberals are spouting conventional wisdom, which was set on its' ear by the results of the election. There is no political wisdom anymore. What is being spouted on the news networks is just gossip and conjecture based on consensual gossip.
The election just proved that the talking heads do not know what they are talking about but people still listen and base their opinions on the gossip nonsense.

Liberals and conservatives now admit that puppet masters truly exist. Until now this was denied. The world of political understanding is truly changing.
If the Republicans do not go along with Trump, the revolt of the grass root Republicans will be very loud indeed. McConnell and Ryan know this.

26 Nov 2016 20:20 #45 by ScienceChic

ramage wrote: Do you seriously believe that the Senate would not confirm any of the SC justices that Mr. Trump has proffered during the election?Two other questions, who are the "they" you refer to in your sentence, - they have to come up with something that will be palatable to their puppet masters to replace it with", and who are the "puppet masters"?

"They" are the Republicans in Congress who have to vote to repeal the ACA. The puppet masters are the lobbyists and corporate backers they are beholden to for money so they can get re-elected.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Nov 2016 19:27 #46 by ramage
ScienceChic, thanks for answering questions 2 and 3. I will take the fact that you chose not to answer #1, i.e. Supreme Court appointment that you agree with the premise that a Republican Senate will not reject a nominee from the list of candidates for the Supreme Court that Mr. Trump proposed during the election.
I cannot take your bet that Citizens United will be negated, because I agree with the decision as does Mr. Trump. Also please be aware that only the Supreme Court can overturn the decision, not the President. With regard to Obamacare (the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act) will be "repealed". I sincerely hope that you are not one of those who take Mr. Trump literally rather than seriously; I choose to take him seriously and not literally, as do millions of voters. Health Insurance Reform (NOTE: I did not say Health Care Reform) is in both the House and Senate in several bills (see GovTrack.us) there are aspects of Obamacare that have long existed in the proposals of various congressmen. Please do not think that, for example, providing insurance for people with pre-existing conditions is de novo an Obama creation; it has been debated for several sessions of Congress and it is the same premise but the solution is different from that of Obamacare.
Finally I would be remiss if I did not note that Wall Street supported Mrs. Clinton overwhelmingly. (Bankers, hedge fund owners, etc. if you know otherwise please provide substantiation.)

30 Nov 2016 09:53 #47 by ScienceChic
You're welcome ramage. In further consideration, no I don't believe that Republicans will necessarily rubber-stamp anyone Trump proposes for the Supreme Court. Reading about some of the public and supposed private infighting as to whom he will choose for various cabinet positions reinforces in my mind that he and they are not on the same page. Time will tell, I never say never.

Thank you for the clarification on the ACA, I agree that it needs to be reformed and I think I mentioned in the First 100 Days in Office thread that I'd like to see details of the proposals. As you mentioned, it should be health insurance reform.

Clinton's Wall St ties were always a problem for me. It was one of the biggest reasons why I've never wholeheartedly supported her.

08 Dec 2016 07:56 #48 by ramage
From thehardtimes.net:
"December 5, 2016 Music, News
Jill Stein Demands Recount Of “Rolling Stone’s 50 Best Albums Of 2016”
" Green Party presidential nominee and former ’90s folk-rock musician Dr. Jill Stein has formally requested a recount of Rolling Stone’s 50 Best Albums of 2016, according to paperwork submitted to Suffolk County Superior Court early this morning.

Days after Rolling Stone published their list of albums, Stein sent out a tweet to her 248,000 followers, reading, “We need a system in the U.S. where the best albums of the year are not selected by a small group of Rolling Stone elites #Recount2016.”

“We have absolutely no idea what she means,” said Kris Moosher, a spokesperson from Rolling Stone. “There wasn’t a vote, so there isn’t really anything to recount. We keep getting letters from Stein — actual mailed in letters — telling us our voting system is corrupt, all signed, ‘The American People.’ But we are very transparent about the fact that our staff just chooses what albums we liked for the year.”

Stein’s website, though, tells a different story. Along with a link to donate money is a message from Stein to potential donors: “Friends, end-of-the-year list integrity needs YOU! Data suggests discrepancies in the results of Rolling Stone Magazine’s 50 Best Albums of 2016. This is, of course, evident by the fact that the list does not once mention what is obviously the best album of 2016: Tegan and Sara’s eighth studio album, Love You To Death. We must band together to fight the blatant voter fraud committed at Rolling Stone.”

Gotta love this satire.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds