Wuhan Virus Update

19 Oct 2020 17:27 #291 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Wuhan Virus Update
Anyone remember this? CBS news 3/30/20

Birx said the projections by Dr. Anthony Fauci that U.S. deaths could range from 1.6 million to 2.2 million is a worst case scenario if the country did "nothing" to contain the outbreak, but said even "if we do things almost perfectly," she still predicts up to 200,000 U.S. deaths.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Oct 2020 20:57 #292 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Wuhan Virus Update
I remember, and it's sad that we've reached that before the end of the year and cases are rising again. Not unexpected with colder weather arriving and more people indoors, pandemic fatigue, and students back to school (especially college students who've been having parties/gathering in large groups), but if we don't want to lose 200K more Americans, and risk having to lockdown again, we need to all be more diligent about wearing masks, not gathering in large groups, and maintaining distance from anyone not in our household.

Even Sweden is changing how it deals with this pandemic.
Sweden is moving away from its no-lockdown strategy and preparing strict new rules amid rising coronavirus cases
Adam Payne, Business Insider | Oct 18, 2020

After opting against lockdown measures throughout the coronavirus pandemic, Sweden is said to be shifting strategies toward the kinds of restrictive measures adopted by most of its neighbors.

Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, is set to meet with local health officials over the next week to discuss new measures to introduce in response to outbreaks in Stockholm and the nearby city of Uppsala, The Telegraph reported.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Oct 2020 07:34 #293 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Wuhan Virus Update
And the SAD side of this scenario......college students WANTING TO BE INFECTED,so they can subsidize
their living expenses,by selling their plasma ....$400 amonth......the dollar amount for a LIFE....I would like to see the extracted data of total deaths(because it is NOT just an old person's )....I am saddened by the fact
that students would have to resort to this solution AND that they are not forward thinking enough to SEE the
PERIL they have put themselves into.

21 Oct 2020 07:37 #294 by homeagain
www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronaviru...a580836ed_story.html

CDC HEALTH STATISTICS.......400,000 by the end of the year...... let's see how accurate they are in their
assessment.....obscene doesn't even BEGIN to name this fubar.

21 Oct 2020 09:00 #295 by homeagain
coloradosun.com/2020/10/21/colorado-coro...campaign=NEWSLETTER+

Polis WILL put in place ANOTHER mandate......the numbers (today)and the trends are NOT looking good....
COLORADO is over the trend number of 5 percent....and the holidays are coming up.

27 Oct 2020 07:45 #296 by ramage
The great Barrington Declaration

gbdeclaration.org

A statement by epidemiologists throughout the world. It is well worth the time. Below is the opening:

The Great Barrington Declaration – As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection.

Coming from both the left and right, and around the world, we have devoted our careers to protecting people. Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health. The results (to name a few) include lower childhood vaccination rates, worsening cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings and deteriorating mental health – leading to greater excess mortality in years to come, with the working class and younger members of society carrying the heaviest burden. Keeping students out of school is a grave injustice.

Keeping these measures in place until a vaccine is available will cause irreparable damage, with the underprivileged disproportionately harmed.

18 Nov 2020 09:19 #297 by ramage
Annals of Internal Medicine cpjournals.org

Effectiveness of Adding a Mask Recommendation to Other Public Health Measures to Prevent SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Danish Mask Wearers
A Randomized Controlled Trial

doi.org/10.7326/M20-6817

"Our results suggest that the recommendation to wear a surgical mask when outside the home among others did not reduce, at conventional levels of statistical significance, the incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in mask wearers in a setting where social distancing and other public health measures were in effect, mask recommendations were not among those measures, and community use of masks was uncommon."

"“Our study gives an indication of how much you gain from wearing a mask,” said Dr. Henning Bundgaard, lead author of the study and a cardiologist at the University of Copenhagen. “Not a lot.”

18 Nov 2020 11:45 #298 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Wuhan Virus Update
Agree. I mainly wear a mask out of politeness. And I want access to stores and restaurants. It helps a little bit, but if you see people in healthcare they are wearing much better masks and often double masks. My SIL is a paramedic and she wears a N-95 plus a face shield. And my eye doctor recommends wearing eyewear or a shield if you are in close contact with others. It can transmit through the eyes.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Nov 2020 13:59 #299 by homeagain
VERY obvious, the quality/kind of mask being utilized.....a bandana is next to nothing, PPE(medical) would
be optimum...there is a HUGE chasm of choices...so, the trial in the SPRING of this year appear INCONCLUSIVE....it is now, winter when more people are indoors.... I wear a mask BECAUSE IT IS REQUIRED FOR ENTRANCE INTO store ..when I am with my regular service people...NO MASK....AND
I certainly do not wear a mask when I am outdoors....I rip it off the VERY minute I walk outside.

18 Nov 2020 21:16 #300 by ramage
I did not want to start a new thread, because our Denver Post says it all. 5700 fans will be allowed into the whatever the name is stadium, for Sunday's game. The second lead story is that Denver Schools will be going to all remote learning.
Thankfully the liquor stores and pot shops will be open but do not go to church.
Oh, wear a mask goddammit!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.615 seconds