Wuhan Virus Update

08 Sep 2021 07:16 #381 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Wuhan Virus Update
www.statnews.com/2021/09/07/cepi-warns-o...9-vaccines-boosters/

We have a problem and it is HUGE....boosters ( X out of pop up)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Sep 2021 12:43 #382 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Wuhan Virus Update
THIS. "As we continue to investigate unanswered questions during this unprecedented pandemic, the tribalism and polarization must end."

Vaccine Tribalism Is Poisoning Progress on COVID Science
— It fails to promote safety or fight misinformation
by Vinay Prasad, MD, MPH September 15, 2021

The development of the mRNA vaccines during the COVID-19 pandemic has been the single greatest scientific advance of the pandemic, and will lead to a Nobel prize. At the same time, there are many legitimate questions and concerns about the dose, the number of shots, the interval between shots, order of vaccination, and the line between individual benefit, collective benefit, and no benefit at all. What is the best vaccination program for someone who has recovered from COVID-19? Does it vary by age? What is the optimal dosing and schedule of mRNA vaccine for adolescents? Does it vary from boys to girls -- given the massive difference in rates of myocarditis? What evidence is needed to support boosters? And finally, as pediatric trials become available, what evidence is needed for regulators to decide if the risk/benefit profile is favorable?

As I look across social media, I am concerned. Clearly there is a small, but vocal minority of people who are critical -- often irrationally so -- of vaccination. They are wrong. But, what I see more and more, among the ranks of physicians and other professionals, is a growing minority on the other end of the spectrum. These are people who are quick to label legitimate scientific dialog as "anti-vax" or "dangerous misinformation." In many cases, the speakers have little knowledge of the issues themselves. They couple this condemnation with a strong sense that they are "morally" correct, working to purge the world of dangerous anti-vax thinking. Ironically, they are further polarizing an already polarized debate, and worse, they are simply wrong. These are real and live issues. Intelligent scientists have to discuss these policy implications openly. The stakes could not be higher.

As we continue to investigate unanswered questions during this unprecedented pandemic, the tribalism and polarization must end. Simply raising questions about the vaccines isn't anti-vax, so let's not label it as such. Instead, we need to welcome new questions and invite ongoing, open discussions from medical professionals. If not, we risk poisoning progress.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Sep 2021 13:34 #383 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Wuhan Virus Update
Good points. I welcomed the vaccine but I also try to understand why many are still hesitant. CNN is posting a story today where a family who lost a vaccinated loved one blames the unvaccinated in her obituary for her death. How do they know? She could have got Covid-19 from another vaccinated person. The intolerance from both sides needs to stop.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Sep 2021 17:51 #384 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Wuhan Virus Update
It's nice to see that there's pushback to politics interfering in science. Can we start having a little more faith in the FDA and the advisory processes now?

US panel backs COVID-19 boosters only for seniors, high-risk
By MATTHEW PERRONE and LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP News | 20 minutes ago

Newsweek COVID Booster Shots: What's Next as FDA Panel Votes Against Pfizer Approval
Katherine Fung, MSN | 3 hrs ago

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Sep 2021 06:59 #385 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Wuhan Virus Update
news.yahoo.com/big-gap-between-pfizer-moderna-034719881.html

NOW the data is being delivered.....differences that impact the decision making process.

18 Sep 2021 08:11 #386 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Wuhan Virus Update
The FDA is allowing people to get the booster if they want it and aren't senior citizens. We might get it before we travel in January.
I do wonder it they aren't requiring it because they don't want a run on Americans getting a booster when there are still so many who need to get their first.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Sep 2021 17:28 #387 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Wuhan Virus Update
" Can we start having a little more faith in the FDA and the advisory processes now?"

We shall have to wait and see whether the FDA acquiesces to the advisory panel before making that judgement.
As Psaki pointed out there are a lot of experts on the FDA that did not agree with the position of the two that resigned.
It is refreshing to see that the latter two had the personal integrity to resign when they did not agree with the push to boosters.

18 Sep 2021 18:49 #388 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Wuhan Virus Update
It seems pretty clear to me that the FDA's approval of the vaccines was politically motivated in the first place considering how long they usually take to approve anything. Biden pushing these boosters is comical considering that he's been wrong about almost every decision or opinion he's ever made. It shouldn't be surprising tp anyone that a large segment of our country doesn't trust what he is pushing.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

18 Sep 2021 19:57 #389 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Wuhan Virus Update
Yes, this is a travesty. But it is done to deflect from the 10+ children and civilians that were murdered (there's that ugly word again, remember Michael Byrd and the murder of Ashli) in a drone attack on a supposed ISIS-K operative.
Fred said that he and his traveling companion might get the booster prior to their Jan trip. If the booster is going to be required where you wish to go , you have the choice of cancelling your trip or getting the booster.
Went to the Colorado Symphony last night. The conductor and the woodwinds (obviously for musical purposes did not wear masks) when asked why I didn't have a mask on I pointed to the conductor. I was told he was vaccinated, I replied so am I. It was left there. However I was told that proof of vaccination will be required for subsequent concerts.
We are cancelling my 20+ year subscription.

19 Sep 2021 14:11 #390 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Wuhan Virus Update
Good for you ramage. We all need to stand up against this authoritarian government, even when it may cost a short term loss of happiness or convenience. The more we lay down and take it, the more they will stick it to us until we are fully compliant. For those who think Trump acted like a king, you need to take a good honest look at what Biden is acting like… no comparison.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.582 seconds