Thoughts to ponder

26 Jun 2020 08:06 #51 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Thoughts to ponder
Some more important information.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jun 2020 05:18 - 27 Jun 2020 05:19 #52 by HEARTLESS
Body doubles, CGI, clones? Enjoy the show.

27 Jun 2020 10:22 #53 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Thoughts to ponder
I was listening to an old 1980 Charlie Daniels song about a divided America, but how we would come together after the Iranians had taken embassy employees hostage during the Carter administration. Do you think we are more divided now? We also had the Russians invading Afghanistan at the same time.

Personally I think we are more divided now than ever. Our politicians firmly believe America's biggest menace is the other party. I am really worried to see how far this ramps up by November.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

27 Jun 2020 10:33 #54 by HEARTLESS

FredHayek wrote: I was listening to an old 1980 Charlie Daniels song about a divided America, but how we would come together after the Iranians had taken embassy employees hostage during the Carter administration. Do you think we are more divided now? We also had the Russians invading Afghanistan at the same time.

Personally I think we are more divided now than ever. Our politicians firmly believe America's biggest menace is the other party. I am really worried to see how far this ramps up by November.

I agree Fred. The explanation I hear is the deep state was behind all the wars, conflict and the division of the political parties. Trump has made inroads with the Saudi's, North Koreans, and many middle eastern nations, etc. saying he will not interfere with them and ultimately bring virtually all out troops home. Some of his first words at a undermining nations (UN) meeting were, we will not support globalism. Obviously that was his initial enemy of all global totalitarianism move.

27 Jun 2020 10:43 #55 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Thoughts to ponder
President Trump met recently with Poland's head of state and asked him not to bring American troops home from Europe. Since Germany refuses to spend more than 1.6% of GDP on their defense, maybe we should move those GI's stationed in Germany to Poland which faces a much bigger threat than Berlin does. Probably be cheaper to station them in Warsaw anyways.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

27 Jun 2020 14:10 #56 by HEARTLESS
Hopefully Trump keeps troops in place where it is to our and allies mutual benefit. In the mean time...

30 Jun 2020 10:40 - 30 Jun 2020 12:11 #57 by HEARTLESS
As testing (that has questionable reliability) increases, the actual death rates by the virus continue to drop.

30 Jun 2020 15:57 #58 by HEARTLESS
So based on this statement, the entire US population should have the virus in about a month. How convenient for a chance to lockdown and completely destroy the economy and cheat on mail in ballots.

30 Jun 2020 17:42 #59 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Thoughts to ponder
I'm assuming you mean the comment he made at the end regarding "100,000 cases/day?"

That is incorrect that the entire U.S. population would be infected in a month if so.
100,000/day x 30 days = 3,000,000 people

Population of the United States: 331,000,000 (roughly)
At 100,000 infections per day it would take 3,310 days (~9 years) for the entire population to become infected. But this isn't a linear infection rate, that quickly and exponentially increases as each person spreads it to 2+ people each.

Since herd immunity is achieved at anywhere between 60-80% of the population, it would stop community transmission when it reached 198,000,000-264,800,000 people infected.

With a case fatality rate of even just 0.5%, that's 990,000-1,324,000 people in the United States dead (double those numbers if it's 1% like the flu), most likely in 1-3 years time (absent an effective vaccine). Of course, we don't know the actual CFR because we aren't testing and contact tracing like we should be, nor can we assume that it won't mutate into something more lethal as it continues to circulate in our population and comes into contact with other viral particles with which it can swap genes. The longer it's actively out there, the higher the likelihood of that happening. Or something else hitting simultaneously and swamping our stretched healthcare infrastructure.

P.S. This increasing viral transmission is happening during the summer months when we normally have a lull in bacterial or viral diseases and few cases or deaths (wait, wasn't that a popular opposing talking point just a month back or so, that heat and sunlight killed this thing and we'd be fine once summer arrived?). Now imagine this continuing through the fall when the flu season ramps up. Fun times.
:sarcasm:

That number of deaths is going to kill our economy all by itself.

How, pray tell, does a lockdown have anything to do with mail in ballots? LOL I'll bet you nearly every Unaffiliated voter is going to vote Democrat this November (the ones who can't stomach liberals will simply stay home) after this disaster continues to unfold, and Trump keeps sabotaging his own re-election chances. The majority of them are going Blue for the Primary in CO. Happily, the moderates are holding on or winning in many nationwide races indicating that most everyone's sick of the extremism of partisan politics, and they want a return to "normal" of which Biden is a prime example. He may not be as sharp as he once was, and he's probably just as beholden to big banks and big business, but at least he has competent people around him and isn't an outright narcissistic, grifting, incompetent, clueless, demented blowhard like we currently have for CIC.

I mean, when you lose Ann Coulter...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Jun 2020 18:24 #60 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Thoughts to ponder
SC,
Please provide your source of the R0 of Covid-19 being 2+. The highest I could find after doing an internet search was R0 = 1.2 in the Philippines, and that as you well know is baed on mathematical projections.
(source:he projection is based on current trends on the COVID-19 data, Professor Guido David of the University of the Philippines Institute of Mathematics, said in a press briefing hosted by the Department of Health.

“Right now, ‘yung projection namin, ginamit lang namin ‘yung R0 (pronounced R-naught) na 1.2 sa Philippines

Read more: newsinfo.inquirer.net/1289772/covid-19-c...h-team#ixzz6Qte9JW7D
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

1 million plus deaths will not kill the economy, shutting down the economy because of fear of death will. The remaining 329+ million will carry on.

P.S. This increasing viral transmission is happening during the summer months when we normally have a lull in bacterial or viral diseases and few cases or deaths (wait, wasn't that a popular opposing talking point just a month back or so, that heat and sunlight killed this thing and we'd be fine once summer arrived?). Now imagine this continuing through the fall when the flu season ramps up. Fun times.

Please review the Goal of the economic shutdown - "flattening the curve" not eradicating the disease.
this was done so that the health care system would not be overwhelmed. It spread the cases over a longer time period. Which is happening now.

I refer you to the CDC "COVIDView: A Weekly Surveillance Summary of U.S. COVID-19 ...
Search domain www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-...covidview/index.html
Based on death certificate data available on June 25, 2020, 6.9% of all deaths occurring during the week ending June 20, 2020 (week 25) were due to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC). This is the ninth week of a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC."

Not sure what you mean by ". The majority of them are going Blue for the Primary in CO. Happily, the moderates are holding on or winning in many nationwide races "
We can vote in any primary in CO, Hickenlooper v. Romanoff is being fiercely fought. There is no opposition to Gardner. Why wouldn't a voter cast a ballot in the democrat election? Or do you think that the primaries in CO are a referendum on Covid-19?

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds