UKRAINE - WELL, THAT DIDN'T TAKE LONG

09 Aug 2022 17:07 #21 by ramage
Fred,
Better check your sources as to what actually happened.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Aug 2022 19:40 #22 by FredHayek

ramage wrote: Fred,
Better check your sources as to what actually happened.

Always hard to get accurate reports out of a war zone. The CBS News report about supplies and money getting to the front is now being walked back by the network. I guess they trusted Amnesty International to get it right.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Aug 2022 09:45 #23 by ramage
Juxtapose these two stories: Slo Joe has pledged another $3 billion to Ukraine. The Ukraine parliament has voted themselves a 70% raise, unanimously no less.

24 Aug 2022 22:50 - 24 Aug 2022 22:51 #24 by FredHayek
And now President Biden has pledged another 30 billion in armaments to Ukraine. Russia only spends 80 billion a year on their military.

27 Aug 2022 13:07 #25 by ramage
It appears that the Western sanctions on Russia are not working out very well.

In Poland, where coal is king, homeowners queue for days to buy fuel

Reuters, August 27, 2022

WARSAW/BOGDANKA (Reuters) - In Poland's late summer heat, dozens of cars and trucks line up at the Lubelski Wegiel Bogdanka coal mine, as householders fearful of winter shortages wait for days and nights to stock up on heating fuel in queues reminiscent of communist times.

Artur, 57, a pensioner, drove up from Swidnik, some 30 km (18 miles) from the mine in eastern Poland on Tuesday, hoping to buy several tonnes of coal for himself and his family.

"Toilets were put up today, but there's no running water," he said, after three nights of sleeping in his small red hatchback in a crawling queue of trucks, tractors towing trailers and private cars.

"This is beyond imagination, people are sleeping in their cars. I remember the communist times but it didn't cross my mind that we could return to something even worse."

Artur's household is one of the 3.8 million in Poland that rely on coal for heating and now face shortages and price hikes, after Poland and the European Union imposed an embargo on Russian coal following Moscow's invasion of Ukraine in February.

28 Aug 2022 08:10 #26 by FredHayek
What no one seems to understand, sanctions are a double-edged sword, and the rich suffer almost nothing compared to the poor in Russia and Europe.

Interesting sidebar, the Biden Administration will no longer list the military aid delivered to Ukraine. Is that so the Russians don't prepare for it? Or just to keep Americans from finding out what we are giving away after being paid for by taxpayer dollars.

29 Aug 2022 19:15 #27 by Rick
The green energy push will kill millions and I’ll keep saying it until someone can give me factual reasons why I’m wrong. Europe is the first test case the west cares about. John Kerry will keep spewing his bullshit as people freeze to death across the globe.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

30 Aug 2022 09:24 #28 by FredHayek
Agree, Europe has oil and natural gas deposits but the Greens have shut down fracking so now Europe will have to cut down their forests and use polluting coal to keep their homes heated this Winter.

31 Aug 2022 07:51 #29 by ramage
". European officials have dismissed these explanations and have called the gas cuts an economic attack in retaliation for supporting Ukraine in the war."
www.wsj.com/articles/russia-halts-nord-s...od=markets_lead_pos2

What am I missing in finding Europe's statement ludicrous.

If you are supplying guns, munitions etc to an adversary that is trying to kill my soldiers why would I not try to impede your ability to do so?

31 Aug 2022 14:48 #30 by FredHayek
Exactly! Why should Russia sell to NATO nations that are providing weapons to Ukraine?
Pearl Harbor was attacked after FDR suspended oil sales to Japan. I worry Russia might use other weapons against Europe because of their military aid to Ukraine.

Better for Russia to sell their energy to China and India.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds