"Green" Energy Will Kill Millions of People

29 Oct 2022 08:11 #121 by homeagain

Rick wrote: Tell you what HA, if you can explain to me how relying on the ME and countries like Russia for the energy we all need to survive is better than us being energy independent and giving those jobs to our own people, I will publicly praise you.

This is the question that never gets answered because there is no logical rationalization for it. Enriching countries with lower environmental and human rights standards CAN NOT be rationalized. Prove me wrong, please.

[/b]

SORRY, there are NO standards that r being followed,money and hiring competent professionals r a key consideration....that is why DEEP WATER HORIZON occurred....PROFITS WILL ALWAYS WIN OVER SAFETY.

In September 2011, BOEMRE and the Coast Guard published its final investigative report on the accident. In essence, that report states that the main cause was the defective cement job, and Halliburton, BP and Transocean were, in different ways, responsible for the accident.[7][8] The report consists of two volumes. Volume I contains the report of the US Coast Guard.[9] That volume states that, although the events leading to the sinking of Deepwater Horizon were set into motion by the failure to prevent a well blowout, the investigation revealed numerous systems deficiencies, and acts and omissions by Transocean and its Deepwater Horizon crew, that had an adverse impact on the ability to prevent or limit the magnitude of the disaster. These included poor maintenance of electrical equipment that may have ignited the explosion, bypassing of gas alarms and automatic shutdown systems that could prevent an explosion, and lack of training of personnel on when and how to shut down engines and disconnect the MODU from the well to avoid a gas explosion and mitigate the damage from an explosion and fire. These deficiencies indicate that Transocean’s failure to have an effective safety management system and instill a culture that emphasizes and ensures safety contributed to this disaster. This investigation also revealed that the oversight and regulation of Deepwater Horizon by its flag state, the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), was ineffective in preventing this casualty. By delegating all of its inspection activities to “recognized organizations,” without itself conducting on board oversight surveys, the RMI effectively abdicated its vessel inspection responsibilities.

Volume II of the report cited above contains the report of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE).[10] That volume states that a central cause of the blowout was failure of a cement barrier in the production casing string, a high‐strength steel pipe set in a well to ensure well integrity and to allow future production. The failure of the cement barrier allowed hydrocarbons to flow up the wellbore, through the riser and onto the rig, resulting in the blowout. The loss of life and the subsequent pollution of the Gulf of Mexico were the result of poor risk management, last‐minute changes to plans, failure to observe and respond to critical indicators, inadequate well control response, and insufficient emergency bridge response training by companies and individuals responsible for drilling at the Macondo well and for the operation of the drilling platform. BP, as the designated operator under BOEMRE regulations, was ultimately responsible for conducting operations at Macondo in a way that ensured the safety and protection of personnel, equipment, natural resources, and the environment. Transocean, the owner of the Deepwater Horizon, was responsible for conducting safe operations and for protecting personnel on board. Halliburton, as a contractor to BP, was responsible for conducting the cement job, and, through its subsidiary (Sperry Sun), had certain responsibilities for monitoring the well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Oct 2022 09:24 #122 by homeagain
thehill.com/policy/3709759-oil-companies...id-consumer-squeeze/

“Not in a legal definition, but in most people’s minds, what’s happening with refined products, profits and margins probably qualifies as a windfall,” Tom Kloza, global head of energy analysis at the Oil Price Information Service, told The Hill in an interview.

“The optics are pretty bad,” Kloza added. “Record profits … aren’t exactly being cheered by a population that says, hey, we need a break from inflation.”

Moreover, he said, “if you were to have a virtual map of what’s occurred so far in the month of October, which is outside the realm of the third quarter profits, the numbers aren’t just off the charts, they’re off the wall the charts are on.”

OK THEN, wanta ' wade thru this and tell me WTH is going on...??? PROLIFIC PROFITS, let me hear u explain this away.

29 Oct 2022 13:04 #123 by FredHayek
Don't be deceived. They never give you the percentage of the profits, just the totals. So a multi-trillion dollar company making 1.1 billion dollars sounds excessive, right? But it might only be 5%. Not even what pharmaceutical companies make. And they also neglect to show you after two years of losses during the pandemic, or after having lost their investment in Russian oilfields which won't show up until next year.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 Oct 2022 17:28 #124 by Rick
Sorry to remind you of my point HA but I have to do it again. Tell me how shifting energy production to ME countries is better for the environment when their environmental standards are lower than ours. How is it better to ship oil across the oceans by diesel powered ships and across the county by trains and trucks?

We are not talking about profits that you believe are evil, we are talking about getting oil to refineries in the least environmentally impactful way. We will die without our oil until there is a viable alternative… nothing gets built without it in our current environment.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

30 Oct 2022 09:53 #125 by FredHayek
Plus petroleum by-products are as important as the fuel we burn.

30 Oct 2022 18:29 #126 by Rick

homeagain wrote:
OK THEN, wanta ' wade thru this and tell me WTH is going on...??? PROLIFIC PROFITS, let me hear u explain this away.

Isn't it funny how the oil and gas companies were not making record profits when they were allowed to expand under trump and gas prices were so low? Then Biden says he's going to kill off the oil industry and prices spike, permits cut, and we have to depend on oil from scumbag nations again? Funny how that works...no?
Voting for Democrats has negative consequences for the little people. Also look at big pharma and their profits... wasn't Trump's fault but the facts can not be ignored.

BTW HA, what's your president doing about the diesel shortage that will continue to make inflation worse? My guess is "no comment".

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

20 Apr 2023 08:13 #127 by ramage
Regardless of how "left" you are, if you go against the narrative you will be crucified.

Case in point. Facebook has labeled Seymour Hersch's assertion that the U.S. and allies were responsible for the destruction of the Nord Stream pipeline as "FALSE".
Wait for this, their judgement was made because of the opinion of independent fact checkers from Ukraine, Norway and the United States.

20 Apr 2023 09:41 #128 by FredHayek
The silly sanctions against Russia are making the Gulf States even wealthier. They buy oil from Russia at a discount and then sell it to the rest of the world labeled as theirs.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds