Another attack on gun owners

27 Aug 2010 10:12 - 27 Aug 2010 10:18 #1 by The Viking
This one could be big. Another thing where the government may bow to the Environmentalists to take on gun owners. They are going to decide on this petition, the day before the elections on November 1st. Not enough time to get the message out to the public before the election the next day.

Environmental Protection Agency Reviewing Petition to Ban Lead Bullets

http://weeklystandard.com/blogs/epa-rev ... ed-bullets

Will Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson make a back door move to ban lead bullets the day before the November 2 elections?

Several environmentalist groups led by the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) are petitioning the EPA to ban lead bullets and shot (as well as lead sinkers for fishing) under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). Although EPA is barred by statute from controlling ammunition, CBD is seeking to work farther back along the manufacturing chain and have EPA ban the use of lead in bullets and shot because non-lead alternatives are available. But here's the catch: the alternatives to lead bullets are more expensive. A ban on the sale of lead ammunition would force hunters and sport shooters to buy non-lead ammunition that is often double the cost of traditional lead ammunition. A box of deer hunting bullets in a popular caliber could be upwards of $55.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Aug 2010 10:16 #2 by AspenValley
I wouldn't think they need to go so far as to ban lead in ammunition, but it's not just a small problem. Years ago I was pretty into duck hunting and it was very icky to be cleaning a duck and find their entire crop full of lead shot they had eaten off the bottom of ponds. Made me wonder if it was safe to eat the meat. Probably wasn't, looking back.

27 Aug 2010 10:22 #3 by The Viking

AspenValley wrote: I wouldn't think they need to go so far as to ban lead in ammunition, but it's not just a small problem. Years ago I was pretty into duck hunting and it was very icky to be cleaning a duck and find their entire crop full of lead shot they had eaten off the bottom of ponds. Made me wonder if it was safe to eat the meat. Probably wasn't, looking back.

It's like a huge new tax on gun owners and hunters. Ammo would go up over 80-100%. SO instead of a box of ammo for $25-$30 now it might be $55. That may be a small problem to you but not to gun owners and hunters. Just another way to make gun owners pay.

27 Aug 2010 10:36 #4 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Another attack on gun owners
Viking:

It is funny that you bring this up this morning. I ran into an old friend at Soopers yesterday and he brought this issue up to me then.

27 Aug 2010 10:44 #5 by AspenValley

The Viking wrote:

AspenValley wrote: I wouldn't think they need to go so far as to ban lead in ammunition, but it's not just a small problem. Years ago I was pretty into duck hunting and it was very icky to be cleaning a duck and find their entire crop full of lead shot they had eaten off the bottom of ponds. Made me wonder if it was safe to eat the meat. Probably wasn't, looking back.

It's like a huge new tax on gun owners and hunters. Ammo would go up over 80-100%. SO instead of a box of ammo for $25-$30 now it might be $55. That may be a small problem to you but not to gun owners and hunters. Just another way to make gun owners pay.

Um...I didn't say it was a "small problem" to gun owners.

However, I do believe in some of those values we learned in kingergarten.....like...."clean up your own mess". And if shooters are going to shoot stuff they won't be able to clean up, yeah, then maybe it IS their responsibility to pay extra to make sure the mess they are leaving lying around isn't toxic.

You see this as an "attack" on gun owners, I see it as more a case of holding them accountable for the results of their actions.

27 Aug 2010 10:47 #6 by netdude

Nmysys wrote: Viking:

It is funny that you bring this up this morning. I ran into an old friend at Soopers yesterday and he brought this issue up to me then.

It's funny it is a hot issue with the far right... google 'lead bullet EPA' and the top 100 hits are all the farthest right blogs out there... that old RW talk machine is a percolating the next talking point!!

(FWIW I fully support gun ownership but with ownership comes the responsibility of stewardship as well...)

27 Aug 2010 10:58 #7 by Blazer Bob
I am not a hunter so this is not something I have ever payed close attention too, but it seems to me this was a hot subject 20 or 30 years ago.

27 Aug 2010 11:04 #8 by FredHayek
Luckily I bought cheap and stacked deep.

If the Republicans win back the House in Novemeber, expect the bureaucrats to make a bunch of new green regulations and for the White House to write executive orders.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

27 Aug 2010 11:54 #9 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Another attack on gun owners
It’s all about control and consolidating power in Washington, and to the hands of the overseers.

27 Aug 2010 12:02 #10 by AspenValley

Grady wrote: It’s all about control and consolidating power in Washington, and to the hands of the overseers.

Could be.

But I still wouldn't say that right to bear arms means a right to leave toxic garbage lying around.

I still target shoot for fun and I'm ashamed at what pigs some gun owners are, shooting up signs, trees, leaving piles of shells and casings and even live ammo in fire rings among other irresponsible actions.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds