Another attack on gun owners

27 Aug 2010 12:09 #11 by FredHayek
Have to agree with AV, shooters & fisherman seem to be very bad at cleaning up after themselves.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Aug 2010 12:12 #12 by outdoor338
I think hunters have done a great deal for the outdoors, the fees they pay for hunting licenses have helped many programs. The taxes on ammo, hunting gear, etc, have helped many...Net..libs for the most part are against owning guns, no wonder more republicans are on these websites. You should be supporting groups that fight against some of these loons.

27 Aug 2010 12:16 #13 by jf1acai

Have to agree with AV, shooters & fisherman seem to be very bad at cleaning up after themselves.

I'm not sure that is true. The majority may do very well at cleaning up after themselves, but you won't see the result of that. What you see is the result of the minority of ID10Ts who do not clean up after themselves.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

27 Aug 2010 12:18 #14 by Martin Ent Inc
The messes I see are NOT from hunters and fishermen.
Often idiot weekend players who have No respect for their surroundings, and were not brought up properly.

27 Aug 2010 12:20 #15 by AspenValley

jf1acai wrote:

I'm not sure that is true. The majority may do very well at cleaning up after themselves, but you won't see the result of that. What you see is the result of the minority of ID10Ts who do not clean up after themselves.

It only takes a minority to make a really big mess and make the authorities want to 'do something' about it.

I'm a big believer in self-policing, and wish we didn't have to have regulations for virtually everything, but if you've been out in some areas of the National Forests around here you know it looks like a bunch of drunken nuts have shot up the place half the time.

27 Aug 2010 12:29 #16 by outdoor338
I agree AV..when we shoot my group will pick up others trash..broken bottles. shells, plastic containers, etc..

27 Aug 2010 12:32 #17 by AspenValley

outdoor338 wrote: I agree AV..when we shoot my group will pick up others trash..broken bottles. shells, plastic containers, etc..

Good for you. I wish more people would do this. Every time we go camping or just out in the woods we bring back a big bag of trash like that. Last time, believe it or not, the trash included shot up balling balls and pins and a whole set of hubcaps.

Anyway, that's what I mean by self-policing. I'd rather pick up after even pigs than have areas closed to public use, or draconion rules laid down.

27 Aug 2010 12:49 #18 by The Viking

outdoor338 wrote: I think hunters have done a great deal for the outdoors, the fees they pay for hunting licenses have helped many programs. The taxes on ammo, hunting gear, etc, have helped many...Net..libs for the most part are against owning guns, no wonder more republicans are on these websites. You should be supporting groups that fight against some of these loons.

Exacty! Hunters contribute over $25 Billion per year that goes to help the environment. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

27 Aug 2010 12:56 #19 by Wayne Harrison

AspenValley wrote: I still target shoot for fun and I'm ashamed at what pigs some gun owners are, shooting up signs, trees, leaving piles of shells and casings and even live ammo in fire rings among other irresponsible actions.

I go hiking off FR 550 south of Buffalo Creek and there's a spot where gun owners have shot up trees, to the point they break in half. The stumps are filled with lead bullets and the ground littered with shell casings, shotgun shell casings and broken clay pigeons. It's a mess right along a forest walking trail and what makes it doubly sad is there is a firing range area within a mile of the place but they choose to litter and destroy the forest in a popular hiking area instead.

I'd be happy if they'd just pick up after themselves.

Lead can be toxic. I'm all for getting the lead out.

According to Sports Afield, “the quantity of recreational lead deposited in the environment is enormous. For example, at some trap and skeet ranges, lead shot densities of 1.5 billion pellets per acre have been recorded. That’s 334 pellets in every square foot.” This massive
pollution at shooting ranges is entirely separate from another question, posed by a U.S. Forest Service official at a gun industry shooting range symposium, of “where the lead is going for the millions of shooters who currently are not using established ranges,” but are instead shooting on open public land.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/poisonouspastime

27 Aug 2010 13:01 #20 by AspenValley

Wayne Harrison wrote:

AspenValley wrote: I still target shoot for fun and I'm ashamed at what pigs some gun owners are, shooting up signs, trees, leaving piles of shells and casings and even live ammo in fire rings among other irresponsible actions.

I go hiking off FR 550 south of Buffalo Creek and there's a spot where gun owners have shot up trees, to the point they break in half. The stumps are filled with lead bullets and the ground littered with shell casings, shotgun shell casings and broken clay pigeons. It's a mess right along a forest walking trail and what makes it doubly sad is there is a firing range area within a mile of the place but they choose to litter and destroy the forest in a popular hiking area instead.

I'd be happy if they'd just pick up after themselves.

Lead can be toxic. I'm all for getting the lead out.

I helped my church go on a primitive camping trip up near Guanella last year in one of the dispersed camping areas and I had to come up a whole day early with rakes and trash bags to get all the broken glass, shot up cans, clay pigeons, and shells and casings cleaned up because there were going to be kids along and it wouldn't have been safe for them. I won't even talk about the kind of pigs who leave raw human waste and used toilet paper draped all over the place.....

You've got to wonder what people who do things like this are thinking....or NOT thinking.....

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds