BP Oil Spill Updates

12 Jul 2010 20:01 #251 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
BTW where are you now in your travels?

I got to go to work. I'll check in later to get the latest scoop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jul 2010 20:03 #252 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

Rockdoc Franz wrote: I expect BP will deviate one of the holes to intersect the reservoir if it is not needed in plugging the run-away well. You bet they are going to try and make back a ton of the money.

Theres no doubt..They are gonna deviate like crazy.

12 Jul 2010 20:05 #253 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

Rockdoc Franz wrote: BTW where are you now in your travels?

One of the greatest cities in the world....San Francisco, the Gateway to the Orient

12 Jul 2010 20:43 #254 by Rockdoc

Vice Lord wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote: BTW where are you now in your travels?

One of the greatest cities in the world....San Francisco, the Gateway to the Orient

Was there a long time ago before going to Vietnam. Interesting place for sure. Enjoy.

12 Jul 2010 20:50 #255 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

Vice Lord wrote: Theres no doubt..They are gonna deviate like crazy.

I would expect Barry and Nancy would have the power to stop that don't you think?

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

13 Jul 2010 07:58 #256 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

DATE: July 12, 2010 17:45:08 CST
Statement from National Incident Commander Admiral Thad Allen on Well Integrity Test

"Significant progress has been made on the capping stack installation. As a result of that progress, BP will perform a "Well Integrity Test" tomorrow morning. This test involves closing one or more of the valves on the new cap for a period of time to allow BP to measure pressures in the well.

It also requires that the Helix Producer and Q4000 collection systems be ramped down and placed in standby mode during the test. The measurements that will be taken during this test will provide valuable information about the condition of the well below the sea level and help determine whether or not it is possible to shut the well for a period of time, such as during a hurricane or bad weather, between now and when the relief wells are complete.

I have reviewed the protocols for this test, in consultation with the government science team. The test will likely last anywhere from 6-48 hours or more depending on the measurements that are observed. BP will be in regular contact with the government during the test, and the government will halt the test if the risks of doing further damage to the surrounding formation are significant.

Once the test has concluded, collection of the oil will resume."

Source

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

13 Jul 2010 08:17 #257 by Rockdoc

jf1acai wrote:

DATE: July 12, 2010 17:45:08 CST
BP will be in regular contact with the government during the test, and the government will halt the test if the risks of doing further damage to the surrounding formation are significat.

Source

Now this is a rather telling statement. It implies that there may be a cement job failure around the casing. They are obviously concerned oil may bypass the well and come up through the formation if that is the case. If the well can be shut in, then they can rest easier until the relief well reaches the borehole and they can begin the sealing off process at depth. Should they encounter a problem, look for them to keep the valves open and the oil recover to tanker going. That way there is no pressure build up and potential formation fracturing at shallow levels. What they will be looking for during the pressure tests is steady pressure results at varying stages of well shut off. If there is a sudden drop in pressure, the implication will be formation damage and they will immediately have to open the valve to relief the pressure.

14 Jul 2010 07:02 #258 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

Further Analysis to be Carried Out Before Integrity Test Commences on MC252 Well
Release date: 13 July 2010

Following a meeting with Secretary Chu and his team of scientific and industry experts, the National Incident Commander announced that additional analysis of the well testing procedure should be performed before starting the well integrity test. This analysis will be conducted tonight and into tomorrow. Consequently, the well integrity test did not start today.

During this period, BP will continue to ramp up containment operations on the Helix Producer as well as continue to optimise the Q4000 operations. The Helix Producer has the capacity to capture approximately 20,000 – 25,000 barrels of oil per day. Historically, the Q4000 has flared an average of approximately 8,000 barrels of oil per day.

The sealing cap system, the Q4000 system, the flexible riser system, and the planned additional containment systems never before have been deployed at these depths or under these conditions, and their efficiency and ability to contain or flare the oil and gas cannot be assured.

Operations continue on the first relief well. Operations on the second relief well have been temporarily suspended at 15,963 feet to ensure that there is no interference with the first relief well. The relief wells remain the sole means to permanently seal and isolate the well.

Source

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

14 Jul 2010 12:50 #259 by Rockdoc
I'm going to speculate here that there is some fear of formation failure. IF true, the well test could result in dire consequences. I imagine the ongoing POW WOW is addressing risks in light of the relief wells being close to total depth.

AGAIN, THIS IS IDLE SPECULATION ON MY PART

14 Jul 2010 19:35 #260 by Rockdoc
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/crucia ... eid=YAHOOB

BP PLC's plans to pressure-test the latest containment system on its blown Gulf of Mexico oil well has received government approval, clearing the way for the next critical step in efforts to tame the leak, a federal official said Wednesday.

The government had called a 24-hour delay in the test to make sure BP "got it right," according to Allen, drawing on an "overabundance of caution" by first asking a panel of scientists and industry experts whether they believed the well could withstand the enormous pressure of oil and gas rushing from the reservoir deep below the seabed.

The tests will last up to 48 hours, Allen said, during which pressure is expected to reach as much as 9,000 pounds per square inch within the 75-ton containment cap.

A review of seismic data gathered in the area suggests rising pressure levels in the well won't create a crater through which more oil could escape, he added.

Indeed the concern centered on whether or not the pressure build up expected could result in oil bypassing the well liner, fracturing the overlying rock section adjacent to the well and reaching the surface. This is the most accurate report I saw. There are several other articles out there that are pure BS and written by someone who does not have a clue. One of them talked about the pressure collapsing pipes. Impossible, since the pressure inside the pipe and outside it within the cased well are the same. So do not believe all you read about this in the media. Make sure you get quotes from people directly involved and guided by experts.

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds