BP Oil Spill Updates

18 Jul 2010 21:32 #291 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Vice Lord wrote: Oh I fully expect it to spring some leaks in the coming days, this is stop gap at best.

Joe wrote: edition.cnn.com/2010/US/07/18/gulf.oil.disaster/?hpt=T1

The federal government's oil spill response director says testing has revealed that there is a "detected seep a distance from the well" and has ordered BP to quickly notify the government if other leaks are found.

Told ya

Dectecting a seep "some distance from the well" is not saying that that seep has a relationship to the well. There is a huge difference. So what can you tell us about the seep VL? I imagine you're doing research now or is this simply part of your vast training and expertise? Before I explain, I'd like to hear it from you given your told ya statement. Or is this another bettor's guess?

#1) The seep is definately, 100% related to the well, time will bear this out, oil is seeping from just below the well head along laterial and horizontal fractures in the rock beneath the sea floor and has aparently found a route to the surface. Seeps of this nature only grow, they rarely subside so expect increased seepage until the relief wells are operational on September 4th. Like I said before- We ain't outta the woods yet friends

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jul 2010 22:07 #292 by Residenttroll returns
Did Obama plug the well? Did the Fed Government plug the well?

19 Jul 2010 06:21 #293 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

Vice Lord wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Vice Lord wrote: Oh I fully expect it to spring some leaks in the coming days, this is stop gap at best.

Joe wrote: edition.cnn.com/2010/US/07/18/gulf.oil.disaster/?hpt=T1

The federal government's oil spill response director says testing has revealed that there is a "detected seep a distance from the well" and has ordered BP to quickly notify the government if other leaks are found.

Told ya

Dectecting a seep "some distance from the well" is not saying that that seep has a relationship to the well. There is a huge difference. So what can you tell us about the seep VL? I imagine you're doing research now or is this simply part of your vast training and expertise? Before I explain, I'd like to hear it from you given your told ya statement. Or is this another bettor's guess?

#1) The seep is definately, 100% related to the well, time will bear this out, oil is seeping from just below the well head along laterial and horizontal fractures in the rock beneath the sea floor and has aparently found a route to the surface. Seeps of this nature only grow, they rarely subside so expect increased seepage until the relief wells are operational on September 4th. Like I said before- We ain't outta the woods yet friends

So much for an informed opinion. Firstly there is no available data to date that the seep is related to the well, so you need to say its your interpretation not feed misinformation. Second, there is NO seep below the well head (this is information you invented unless you have information no one else in BP or the government's science team has.. doubtful at best). The whole fracture scenario is more idle speculation, as that is what everyone is trying to determine. NO INFORMATION has been released about the stratigraphic integrity or lack thereof, so there is no way to make such a declarative statement. Seeps along fracture systems DO NOT "NATURALLY GROW" There are hundreds or more natural oil seeps in the Gulf that have not intensified over decades. In other words there is no precedence for seeps growing in intensity. The very presence of a seep automatically relieves pressure, so they tend to slow diminish not intensify. VL you should stick to gambling as the statements you made are great for gambling purposes but not good from a scientific perspective.

One thing no one seems to share is the depth to which casing was set. The casing is a steel sleeve and not subject to failure no matter what the natural pressure is at well bore depths. Any fractures present would have to be propagated from below the casing point. If the cement job of the shoe was bad, then oil could leak between the walls of the well and casing, not fractures. Any hydraulically-induced fractures would need to propagate through two miles of rock. This is hard for even magma to do, much less oil at hydrostatic pressure. Oil migration to the surface would rely on a combination of porous rocks connected by fractures before pushing up through unconsolidated sediment through displacement. Clearly, none of the government watch dogs and BP geoscientists saw those kinds of conditions, hence the seep appears unrelated to well integrity at first glance. It still could change. So we wait for more information. What I've given you are the basic principles.

19 Jul 2010 09:05 #294 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
It's related to the building methane bubble.

19 Jul 2010 09:08 #295 by UNDER MODERATION
RockFranz-You've really said nothing, I interpereted the info and came to conclusions, and I stand by every single one of them- time will

1) The seep is definately, 100% related to the well, time will bear this out,
2) Oil is leaking from just below the well head along laterial and horizontal fractures in the rock beneath the sea floor and has aparently found a route to the surface.
3) Seeps of this nature only grow, (ones related to a nearby ruptured well head) rarely subside so I expect increased seepage until the relief wells are operational on September 4th.
4) Like I said before- We ain't outta the woods yet friends

19 Jul 2010 09:28 #296 by UNDER MODERATION

towermonkey wrote: It's related to the building methane bubble.

Yes of course..It only makes sense that when you cap the well head the pressure of the oil coming up through the pipe to the surface increases significantly..The oil obviously has found another way out through a crack in the pipe..It's seeping out into the surface strata and some of it slowly makes its way to the sea floor where it pools up on the sea floor because oil is heavier than water. This is why experts are calling it seepage, but I think it's definatly a leak. BP is not required to address "seepage" but are required to plug leaks, thats why they are over optimisticly calling it a seepage rather than a leakage. The "seepage" AKA Leakage is defenaitly 100% related to the well.

19 Jul 2010 09:31 #297 by Rockdoc

Vice Lord wrote: RockFranz-You've really said nothing, I interpereted the info and came to conclusions, and I stand by every single one of them- time will

2) Oil is leaking from just below the well head along laterial and horizontal fractures in the rock beneath the sea floor and has aparently found a route to the surface.
3) Seeps of this nature only grow, (ones related to a nearby ruptured well head) rarely subside so I expect increased seepage until the relief wells are operational on September 4th.

Like I said, you obviously are a crackerjack geoscientist of oil industry fame. rofllol

19 Jul 2010 09:56 #298 by UNDER MODERATION

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

Vice Lord wrote: RockFranz-You've really said nothing, I interpereted the info and came to conclusions, and I stand by every single one of them- time will

Like I said, you obviously are a crackerjack geoscientist of oil industry fame. rofllol

I'm glad you quoted that so nobody can come back and say I edited my predictions later....

19 Jul 2010 10:38 #299 by Rockdoc

Vice Lord wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

I'm glad you quoted that so nobody can come back and say I edited my predictions later....

Man, this is not about predictions, it is about doing accurate reporting of facts Nostradamus. Your pulling information out of very dark places. Have fun.

19 Jul 2010 14:16 #300 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
Well, at least we now know that oil is heavier than water...

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds