I'm glad NPR fired Juan Williams

24 Oct 2010 19:35 #101 by Something the Dog Said

Grady wrote:

Something the Dog Said wrote:

Grady wrote:

netdude wrote: Not sure weather he deserved to be fired or not for this incident... he was reprimanded a few times during is tenure for sexual harassment and that may have weighed in on their decision.

That being said, ANYBODY who feels fear when they see someone in muslim garb is flat out a coward.... sorry, you should maybe go have your head examined or maybe just got to your mommy's house and have her dig out your old security blanket... go home... cower in the corner in the fetal position and suck your thumb and never fly again.

Do you have a valid source or is this just an attempt to paint a black man as evil?
Juan never used the term “scared” or "fear" he used the term “worried or nervous” big difference.
Juan wasn’t on NPR when he made those statements so how does NPR have any right to fire him? I hope he sues big time. It’s time to wean NPR from the federal dole.

NPR is a private employer and is able to legally fire any employee as long as it is not in violation of the law or of his contract. NPR is not on the public dole. It receives no direct federal funding. The taxpayer does fund the CPB which may issue grants to individual stations who in turn may subscribe to NPR programming. NPR is funded by its subscriptions, but the majority of its funding is by large corporations and by endowments such as the Kroc (McDonalds).

Fox News actually receives more in direct federal funding than does NPR, such as military recruitment advertising. Perhaps we should be seeking a ban on federal funding for Fox News.

NPR receives government grant money, Fox sells advertising. Do you not understand the difference? And maybe NPR was within their right to fire Williams, but it was still wrong. He wasn't on NPR when he made those statements, he was on different network representing only Juan Williams. I hope he sues their ass off. I also hope the feds deny any future grants.

NPR does NOT receive government grant money. Fox receives taxpayer money to pay for the advertisement. Do you not understand the difference?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Oct 2010 21:29 #102 by Travelingirl

Grady wrote:

Grady wrote:

netdude wrote: Not sure weather he deserved to be fired or not for this incident... he was reprimanded a few times during is tenure for sexual harassment and that may have weighed in on their decision.

That being said, ANYBODY who feels fear when they see someone in muslim garb is flat out a coward.... sorry, you should maybe go have your head examined or maybe just got to your mommy's house and have her dig out your old security blanket... go home... cower in the corner in the fetal position and suck your thumb and never fly again.

Do you have a valid source or is this just an attempt to paint a black man as evil?
Juan never used the term “scared” or "fear" he used the term “worried or nervous” big difference.
Juan wasn’t on NPR when he made those statements so how does NPR have any right to fire him? I hope he sues big time. It’s time to wean NPR from the federal dole.

NPR is a private employer and is able to legally fire any employee as long as it is not in violation of the law or of his contract. NPR is not on the public dole. It receives no direct federal funding. The taxpayer does fund the CPB which may issue grants to individual stations who in turn may subscribe to NPR programming. NPR is funded by its subscriptions, but the majority of its funding is by large corporations and by endowments such as the Kroc (McDonalds).

Fox News actually receives more in direct federal funding than does NPR, such as military recruitment advertising. Perhaps we should be seeking a ban on federal funding for Fox News.

NPR receives government grant money, Fox sells advertising. Do you not understand the difference? And maybe NPR was within their right to fire Williams, but it was still wrong. He wasn't on NPR when he made those statements, he was on different network representing only Juan Williams. I hope he sues their ass off. I also hope the feds deny any future grants.

NPR does NOT receive government grant money. Fox receives taxpayer money to pay for the advertisement. Do you not understand the difference?

Can you source this statement? EVERYTHING I've seen on ALL news outlets reports that they do get government funding.

24 Oct 2010 21:31 #103 by Travelingirl

neptunechimney wrote: I want to take a moment to salute the libs who have the honesty and integrity to stand against censorship and for free speech.

Could you list them for me? Guess I'm missing something.

24 Oct 2010 21:33 #104 by daisypusher
This is what I find. I do not know the accuracy:

Congress doesn’t directly fund NPR, but rather funds the CPB [Corporation for Public Broadcasting] — which distributes money through a variety of channels, some of which lead to NPR. But NPR only gets about 2 percent of its funding from the CPB…currently $161.8 million…However, this does not count the 40 percent of its budget that comes from member stations, who themselves get $90 million from the CPB, according to the CPB.

Neither NPR nor the CPB could say just how much of that $90 million in CPB money goes back to NPR, though a NPR spokeswoman said it amounted to an average of 10 percent of each member station’s annual budget.

Bolded added.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/rachel-maddow-on-npr-as-election-issue-will-gop-go-after-big-bird-next/

25 Oct 2010 00:25 #105 by Residenttroll returns
National Public Radio is funded by, in part, by friends in Congress via the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The money is doled out to NPR and PBS via CPB. After CPB, NPR and PBS keep some of the money for themselves, they use a formula to distribute the remaining money to individual radio stations. Local NPR affiliates are typically locally owned non-profits. About 50% of the funding for the local NPR station comes from taxpayer money via the conduit known as CPB.

In 1969, CPB was enacted and funded with $6 million. Today CPB gets almost a half of billion dollars $ 455 million. Each year, since 2005 CPB has requested advance funding of half a billion. The funding would be use to upgrade broadcast facilities. Remember, the local broadcast facilities are not owned by the federal government. They are typically owned by well paid local non-profits corporation owners.

Fox has one revenue stream - it sells ad time to advertisers. Ad revenue is based upon the size of the audience. NPR has three revenue streams - taxpayer funds based upon the size of radio market not size of audience, commercial sponsorships sold, and listener donations (being the smallest revenue stream).

NPR stations are well funded. In many radio markets, NPR stations have operating budgets 2x to 4X the largest and most listened to commercial radio stations.

25 Oct 2010 08:50 #106 by Travelingirl

residenttroll wrote: National Public Radio is funded by, in part, by friends in Congress via the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The money is doled out to NPR and PBS via CPB. After CPB, NPR and PBS keep some of the money for themselves, they use a formula to distribute the remaining money to individual radio stations. Local NPR affiliates are typically locally owned non-profits. About 50% of the funding for the local NPR station comes from taxpayer money via the conduit known as CPB.

In 1969, CPB was enacted and funded with $6 million. Today CPB gets almost a half of billion dollars $ 455 million. Each year, since 2005 CPB has requested advance funding of half a billion. The funding would be use to upgrade broadcast facilities. Remember, the local broadcast facilities are not owned by the federal government. They are typically owned by well paid local non-profits corporation owners.

Fox has one revenue stream - it sells ad time to advertisers. Ad revenue is based upon the size of the audience. NPR has three revenue streams - taxpayer funds based upon the size of radio market not size of audience, commercial sponsorships sold, and listener donations (being the smallest revenue stream).

NPR stations are well funded. In many radio markets, NPR stations have operating budgets 2x to 4X the largest and most listened to commercial radio stations.

Thanks for the info. It's time to pull the plug.

25 Oct 2010 08:54 #107 by LadyJazzer
I'll have to remember to make my pledge during the next beg-a-thon....

25 Oct 2010 09:08 #108 by Grady

beg-a-thon....

if that isn't the truth. They do seem to go on and on............

That $500,000,000 they receive from the feds can be better spent elseware.

25 Oct 2010 13:52 #109 by Jonathan Hemlock
No one should ever discount the fact that George Soros had within a day or two previous, donated something like 1.8 milliion $$$ to NPR for a search to find Lib reporters. He will now control the coverage and no one wants to give him the credit for his audacity. Soros has been called a philanthropist but he is the only person that I know of who requires the 3rd world countries accepting his 'philanthropy', to abide by his "Open Society" political agenda.

Besides, we have all been asked by our nation's leaders to be more vigilant in our travels; looking for unattended baggage or odd and unusual behavior in people. This is what Juan Williams was stating and nothing more. NPR with Soros as their newest high value, donor has made a clear statement of their further intent.

25 Oct 2010 17:35 #110 by Travelingirl
I'll continue to enjoy Garrison Keillor and Prairie Home Companion - for free!

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds