I'm glad NPR fired Juan Williams

22 Oct 2010 08:33 #61 by FredHayek
Good point about NPR firing the token black, the company seems to be dominated by liberal Jews.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Oct 2010 08:37 #62 by LadyJazzer

SS109 wrote: Good point about NPR firing the token black, the company seems to be dominated by liberal Jews.

:lol:

You can't make this stuff up...

22 Oct 2010 08:49 #63 by FredHayek

LadyJazzer wrote:

SS109 wrote: Good point about NPR firing the token black, the company seems to be dominated by liberal Jews.

:lol:

You can't make this stuff up...

If the NAACP can slander the TEA Party for being too white, others should be able to slander NPR for being too Jewish.

I wonder if Juan Williams had said that attending a TEA Party rally scared him, would he have been fired?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Oct 2010 09:10 #64 by Wayne Harrison
No, but if he had said that FOX probably wouldn't have hired him.

22 Oct 2010 09:11 #65 by Photo-fish
Or that he is afraid of Christians? Fox would have fired him.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

22 Oct 2010 09:19 #66 by Scruffy
I wonder if Juan Williams says that attending a Catholic service scared him, will FOX fire him?

22 Oct 2010 11:12 #67 by Something the Dog Said

pineinthegrass wrote:

Something the Dog Said wrote: Interesting that those who are so outraged about Juan Williams was fired for disparaging Muslims were celebrating when Helen Thomas was fired for making a comment about Jews. So it must be ok to diss Muslims, but don't say a harsh word about Jews.

Whenever someone tries to point out hypocrisy, you have to realise it works both ways.

Just guessing from your post, I assume you didn't surrport the Helen Thomas firing, but do support the Juan Williams firing? If so, you are a hypocite in the opposite way. But I'm just guessing and could be wrong.

I didn't support any of the firings. IMO, Don Imus was the most politically incorrect. But he comes from a "shock jock" background where rules aren't very well spelled out for shock jocks on the radio. Helen Thomas was next, but why fire someone with her very long history for one dumb comment (seems to me they wanted to get rid of her anyway and were looking for an excuse)? Juan Williams' comment seem the least objectionable to me. And since I didn't support firing the other two, why should we fire him? My guess is NPR was just looking for the tiniest excuse as well, since they didn't like him working on Fox (despite their denial).

You would be wrong. I support the right of anyone to make any statement they choose, as well as the right of others to call them out on it. The problem I have with Juan Williams remarks is that it is based on a broad brush ethnic sterotype painting an entire religion based on the actions of a few. For the record, the 9/11 terrorists were not dressed in "muslim garb", but in polos and chinos according to the security tapes. William's remarks, if allowed to go unchallenged, gives credence for discrimination against over 1.5 billion individuals practicing their religion based on the actions of tiny minority. Williams remarks are based on an irrational fear and will not make this a safer country. What clothing has been worn by any of the individuals involved in recent terrorist activities in the US? Hint: it was not muslim garb, whatever that is.

Any likely terrorist against the US will not most likely be wearing "muslim garb", but will be indistinguishable from your next door neighbor. To believe that you have to mistrust those in "muslim garb" is simply wrong, will not make this country any safer, and is very similar to the attitude of a generation ago who would cross the street if they saw a black person walking towards them.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

22 Oct 2010 11:15 #68 by Nmysys
I take offense to the remarks about Jews, though I don't deny that the majority of Jewish People in this country are Liberal. It is a carryover from all the persecution that Jews received being in the Ghettos of Europe, and have always tried to offer a helping hand to other minorities.

I don't agree with that philosophy since the minorities have always bitten the hand that fed them in one way or another, but it is difficult getting that mentality to change.

22 Oct 2010 11:23 #69 by Scruffy

Something the Dog Said wrote:

pineinthegrass wrote:

Something the Dog Said wrote: Interesting that those who are so outraged about Juan Williams was fired for disparaging Muslims were celebrating when Helen Thomas was fired for making a comment about Jews. So it must be ok to diss Muslims, but don't say a harsh word about Jews.

Whenever someone tries to point out hypocrisy, you have to realise it works both ways.

Just guessing from your post, I assume you didn't surrport the Helen Thomas firing, but do support the Juan Williams firing? If so, you are a hypocite in the opposite way. But I'm just guessing and could be wrong.

I didn't support any of the firings. IMO, Don Imus was the most politically incorrect. But he comes from a "shock jock" background where rules aren't very well spelled out for shock jocks on the radio. Helen Thomas was next, but why fire someone with her very long history for one dumb comment (seems to me they wanted to get rid of her anyway and were looking for an excuse)? Juan Williams' comment seem the least objectionable to me. And since I didn't support firing the other two, why should we fire him? My guess is NPR was just looking for the tiniest excuse as well, since they didn't like him working on Fox (despite their denial).

You would be wrong. I support the right of anyone to make any statement they choose, as well as the right of others to call them out on it. The problem I have with Juan Williams remarks is that it is based on a broad brush ethnic sterotype painting an entire religion based on the actions of a few. For the record, the 9/11 terrorists were not dressed in "muslim garb", but in polos and chinos according to the security tapes. William's remarks, if allowed to go unchallenged, gives credence for discrimination against over 1.5 billion individuals practicing their religion based on the actions of tiny minority. Williams remarks are based on an irrational fear and will not make this a safer country. What clothing has been worn by any of the individuals involved in recent terrorist activities in the US? Hint: it was not muslim garb, whatever that is.

Any likely terrorist against the US will not most likely be wearing "muslim garb", but will be indistinguishable from your next door neighbor. To believe that you have to mistrust those in "muslim garb" is simply wrong, will not make this country any safer, and is very similar to the attitude of a generation ago who would cross the street if they saw a black person walking towards them.

Can we coin a new term here? RELIGIOUS PROFILING?

22 Oct 2010 11:58 #70 by Nmysys
RELIGIOUS PROFILING is just another PC way of stopping people from saying what they want without offending you elites. I am against everything PC personally. I am tired of being told what I can say and what I can't say, the same thing this topic is about.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds