I'm glad NPR fired Juan Williams

22 Oct 2010 12:05 #71 by The Viking

Photo-fish wrote: Or that he is afraid of Christians? Fox would have fired him.

rofllol rofllol You guys are kidding right? FOX reminds me of 285Bound, they accept and allow anyones opinions. NPR, and all the mainsteam media remind me of Pinecam. They want it mostly onesided and if you say things they don't like they won't let you on the show or they will censor you or ban you.

You guys DO realize that it is the left who always wants to silence people right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Oct 2010 12:10 #72 by archer
I believe there is a difference in saying whatever you want when you are not representing your company, and being held to a different standard when you are being interviewed as a representative of that company. If you don't like the standard that company holds you to when you speak for them, then leave.

That being said, I don't think the guy should have been fired.....I would much rather he was urged to give a statement claifying that what he said was his own opinion and did not reflect the opinions of NPR.....and that he was sorry. We are too quick to condemn people for what comes out of their mouth in an unguarded moment.

22 Oct 2010 12:18 #73 by The Viking

archer wrote: I believe there is a difference in saying whatever you want when you are not representing your company, and being held to a different standard when you are being interviewed as a representative of that company. If you don't like the standard that company holds you to when you speak for them, then leave.

That being said, I don't think the guy should have been fired.....I would much rather he was urged to give a statement claifying that what he said was his own opinion and did not reflect the opinions of NPR.....and that he was sorry. We are too quick to condemn people for what comes out of their mouth in an unguarded moment.

Wait a minute! You think he should have to apologize for telling how a situation makes him feel? He is not allowed to feel since he is on the media? He was just behing honest and stating what tens of millions feel, if even only for a second when you see a person in muslim garb since 9/11. Admit it or not. If you got on a plane and you saw someone dressed in muslim garb get on, you can't tell me that there is not a split second that you wonder and think of 9/11. Granted you push it out saying it is all probably unjustified fear but it still crosses your mind. That is all he was saying. He absolutely should NOT apologize. If so then 10's of millions need to appologize for what crosses their mind.

22 Oct 2010 12:20 #74 by The Viking

archer wrote: I believe there is a difference in saying whatever you want when you are not representing your company, and being held to a different standard when you are being interviewed as a representative of that company. If you don't like the standard that company holds you to when you speak for them, then leave.

And another point you made is that when you are representing a company. So if you work for a large company and people know it and you state something similar, are you saying that we should think that whole company thinks that too. SO your company could fire you for saying something you believe while working for them?

22 Oct 2010 12:35 #75 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote:

And another point you made is that when you are representing a company. So if you work for a large company and people know it and you state something similar, are you saying that we should think that whole company thinks that too. SO your company could fire you for saying something you believe while working for them?

Do you think this is different than the Helen Thomas situation a few months ago?

22 Oct 2010 12:36 #76 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Oct 2010 12:37 #77 by archer
Not sure I understand your question viking.....just having people know you work for XYZ widgets does not mean you are representing that company whenever you speak.....but if it is a formal interview, when you are introduced as Mr A, the VP of XYZ widgets, then you should be careful of how you represent that company.

22 Oct 2010 12:49 #78 by The Viking

archer wrote: Not sure I understand your question viking.....just having people know you work for XYZ widgets does not mean you are representing that company whenever you speak.....but if it is a formal interview, when you are introduced as Mr A, the VP of XYZ widgets, then you should be careful of how you represent that company.

So let me ask you. Have you ever had the thought cross your mind when you saw someone dressed in Mulim garb? And if you were on a plane would 9/11 cross your mind? And if you were talking about Muslims or terrorists at your work like they were with Juan, and you said you felt that way, should you be fired?

22 Oct 2010 12:56 #79 by Photo-fish
No. Sorry you mistook my earlier comment. I like playing devil's advocate. :thumbsup: Gets me in trouble a lot at home.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

22 Oct 2010 12:57 #80 by archer
First.....I don't fly (unless there is absolutely no other option), but people in muslim garb have never bothered me, even after 9/11. I don't view muslims as terrorists, I view terrorists as terrorists and know full well that they will come in all shapes and sizes, dressed to fit in, not stand out.

If I was talking with someone at work it would probably not be with cameras rolling....being interviewed is totally different, it is recorded, it is played on TV, the internet....yeah.....you better be careful of what you say.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds