Does Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday effect where you shop

20 Nov 2010 11:56 #11 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote:

Scruffy wrote: Wow. You're really playing the victim card a lot today, aren't you Vike?

I ask a simple poll question and you come back with a personal attack with no merit? Who are you? LJ? VL? pchistory?

Where is the personal attack? Accusing you of doing something that you did?

You've started three threads dealing with the issue of Christmas. Each one has a similar theme of how terrible it is to take Christ out of Christmas. Let's see, you started one that asks if a Holiday or Christmas greeting affects where you will shop during the holidays (a thinly veiled threat to boycott those who do not say "Merry Christmas.") The next asks if we should allow religious songs into our public schools during the Holidays. The next thread asks if we should say "Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas" which is another thinly veiled dig at the non-religious.

So, yeah, I'd say you're playing the victim card, pretending that Christianity is being persecuted by your perception that religion is being removed from the upcoming holidays.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Nov 2010 12:03 #12 by The Viking

Scruffy wrote:

The Viking wrote:

Scruffy wrote: Wow. You're really playing the victim card a lot today, aren't you Vike?

I ask a simple poll question and you come back with a personal attack with no merit? Who are you? LJ? VL? pchistory?

Where is the personal attack? Accusing you of doing something that you did?

You've started three threads dealing with the issue of Christmas. Each one has a similar theme of how terrible it is to take Christ out of Christmas. Let's see, you started one that asks if a Holiday or Christmas greeting affects where you will shop during the holidays (a thinly veiled threat to boycott those who do not say "Merry Christmas.") The next asks if we should allow religious songs into our public schools during the Holidays. The next thread asks if we should say "Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas" which is another thinly veiled dig at the non-religious.

So, yeah, I'd say you're playing the victim card, pretending that Christianity is being persecuted by your perception that religion is being removed from the upcoming holidays.

Wow, starting to lose respest for you Scruffy. You are getting down the the level of LJ and VL threads now. I ask a few questions as to what people think of the holidays. And they are questions that are debated every year. Then you say I am playing a victim card because of that. Seriously, if you have nothing to add, don't become and LJ. I guess the majority of Americans who discuss this each year are victims too right?

If you don't like a poll when it asks a legitimate question, then you don't need to respond and tell people they are victims. I don't feel that way at all. I was just curious where this community stands on these annual issues.

20 Nov 2010 12:05 #13 by The Viking
On the contrary, the ones playing the victim card are those who say they are offended by a Christmas song sung at Christmas and want to control others free speech by playing that card.

20 Nov 2010 12:11 #14 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote: On the contrary, the ones playing the victim card are those who say they are offended by a Christmas song sung at Christmas and want to control others free speech by playing that card.

I'm having difficulty understanding this, since you are spinning it so much. You think it is a free speech issue to have children sing a religious song, honoring a single religion, in a public school? You really think it is I that wants to control your free speech by keeping religious observation out of schools?

Look, this is really really simple. Sing your religious songs all you want, show your religious displays all you want, worship whomever you deem fit, just don't bring it into a public school. When you do that, you will be forcing your religion on those who don't want it? Do you understand?

20 Nov 2010 12:15 #15 by outdoor338
so parents like me who want to go to my kids Christmas school program in the evening in a public school, where you have the option of attending is offending you and your children?

20 Nov 2010 12:18 #16 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Pineguy wrote: I would prefer a store that says Happy Holidays because I know they are a store that recognizes and welcomes everyone and are not exclusive to Christians and realizes that not everyone is.

http://wavs.unclebubby.com/wav/MOVIES/S ... ity_sn.wav

20 Nov 2010 12:25 #17 by The Viking

Scruffy wrote:

The Viking wrote: On the contrary, the ones playing the victim card are those who say they are offended by a Christmas song sung at Christmas and want to control others free speech by playing that card.

I'm having difficulty understanding this, since you are spinning it so much. You think it is a free speech issue to have children sing a religious song, honoring a single religion, in a public school? You really think it is I that wants to control your free speech by keeping religious observation out of schools?

Look, this is really really simple. Sing your religious songs all you want, show your religious displays all you want, worship whomever you deem fit, just don't bring it into a public school. When you do that, you will be forcing your religion on those who don't want it? Do you understand?

They have been sung for decades in our schools. In fact back into the 1800's I believe. All is fine until the progressive Politically correct group gets thier panties in a bunch and decides they want to control free speech. And change things that this nation has been fine with until you people came along.

20 Nov 2010 12:27 - 20 Nov 2010 12:32 #18 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Video - The battle over the phrase Merry Christmas in retail stores

http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.a ... d/a07greet

20 Nov 2010 12:30 - 20 Nov 2010 12:33 #19 by outdoor338
then scruffy must have problems with the boy scouts, girl scouts, 4-H, meeting in public schools, I have been members of the boy scouts and 4-H, and we talked about God in our meetings, so should we exclude these groups as well? Just wondering.

20 Nov 2010 12:31 #20 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
'Christmas' Winning War on Christmas in Marketing Messages
But AFA Carries on Fight by Targeting Dick's Sporting Goods, as Retailer Promotes 'Holiday Shop'

By Natalie Zmuda
Published: November 18, 2010

NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- The War on Christmas may be in its final days.

This season, merry Christmas -- not happy holidays or season's greetings -- will dominate retailer's marketing messages. There will be Christmas sales and Christmas trees and Christmas carols galore. That has the American Family Association, arguably one of the loudest voices advocating the use of Christmas in retailer's marketing messages over the past few years, predicting that its crusade could conclude in the next year or two.

Randy Sharp, director-special projects at the AFA, said that in the past five years the group has seen the percentage of retailers recognizing Christmas in their advertising rise from 20% to 80%. Just eight retailers are left on the group's list of "Companies Against Christmas."

http://adage.com/article?article_id=147195

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds