Does Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday effect where you shop

20 Nov 2010 12:43 #31 by The Viking

Scruffy wrote:

outdoor338 wrote: then scruffy must have problems with the boy scouts, girl scouts, 4-h, meeting in public schools, I have members of the boy scouts and 4-h, and we talked about God in our meetings, so should we exclude these groups as well? Just wondering.

No, those are private clubs, meeting privately, in a public area, but not during public school time.

Why is this so hard to understand? Our kids are in a public school. Do you want various religions being forced on your children? I don't want Judaism, Christianity, Muslim, Wiccan, Buddhist religions forced on my kids. In the case of religious songs, the kids would be forced to sing about the baby Jesus in a manger, etc. What if we had a celebration of the prophet Muhammed and sang songs about his birth? Would you be okay with that? I would like an answer, please.

I know you don't believe in it, but I really feel sorry for you and others on here when the Judgement Day comes. Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Nov 2010 12:44 #32 by The Viking

Scruffy wrote:

The Viking wrote:

Pineguy wrote: We practiced slavery for decades, too, Viking.

Did you really just compare slavery and teh beating, torture and owning of other human beings to singing Christmas songs that pertain to Christ? Wow......

I knew you would say that so I purposefully did not include it in my post.

But think about it, Viking. Your rationale for allowing religious songs into the school is "We've always done it. It's tradition." Do you think - maybe - that the slave owners used the same logic? "We've always had slaves. What's wrong with it? Quit being so PC."

You calling me PC is a really pathetic delfection attempt and just got you laughed at by many. Everyone knows I am the opposite of PC.

20 Nov 2010 12:45 #33 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

outdoor338 wrote: then scruffy must have problems with the boy scouts, girl scouts, 4-h, meeting in public schools, I have members of the boy scouts and 4-h, and we talked about God in our meetings, so should we exclude these groups as well? Just wondering.

No, those are private clubs, meeting privately, in a public area, but not during public school time.

Why is this so hard to understand? Our kids are in a public school. Do you want various religions being forced on your children? I don't want Judaism, Christianity, Muslim, Wiccan, Buddhist religions forced on my kids. In the case of religious songs, the kids would be forced to sing about the baby Jesus in a manger, etc. What if we had a celebration of the prophet Muhammed and sang songs about his birth? Would you be okay with that? I would like an answer, please.

I know you don't believe in it, but I really feel sorry for you and others on here when the Judgement Day comes. Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.

And just because you believe it will happen does not mean it will.

20 Nov 2010 12:46 #34 by The Viking

Scruffy wrote:

The Viking wrote:

outdoor338 wrote: then scruffy must have problems with the boy scouts, girl scouts, 4-H, meeting in public schools, I have been members of the boy scouts and 4-H, and we talked about God in our meetings, so should we exclude these groups as well? Just wondering.

And we need to ban the Pledge of Allegience, and All money exchanged in school since it says God on it and it may offend an athiest who has kids in school there. Plus we need to tear down the Washington monument and any other government tribute that has teh word God on it.

Wow. I cannot believe how hard it is to get this point across to you.

It's not about offending people. It's about forcing one religion onto another part of the population that may not want it.

Is that clear?

So you are OK with forcing athiests to use money that has the work God on it? And are you saying we should remove all signs of anything religious from all government buildings and monuments as not to offend those who don't believe in ANY God? Or are you just going after Christian symbols?

20 Nov 2010 12:47 #35 by The Viking

Scruffy wrote:

The Viking wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

Which one of us will be worse off if we are wrong? (And I'm not)

20 Nov 2010 12:49 #36 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

The Viking wrote:

Did you really just compare slavery and teh beating, torture and owning of other human beings to singing Christmas songs that pertain to Christ? Wow......

I knew you would say that so I purposefully did not include it in my post.

But think about it, Viking. Your rationale for allowing religious songs into the school is "We've always done it. It's tradition." Do you think - maybe - that the slave owners used the same logic? "We've always had slaves. What's wrong with it? Quit being so PC."

You calling me PC is a really pathetic delfection attempt and just got you laughed at by many. Everyone knows I am the opposite of PC.

I was not calling you PC. How could you consider that. If I did call you PC in that quote, I would've been calling you a slave owner. Or did you miss that?

It was an attempt - AN ATTEMPT - to point out flaw in your logic. Apparently, it was a failed attempt, since you locked onto the PC thing.

20 Nov 2010 12:56 #37 by Wayne Harrison
My parents had a different take on it: They encouraged me to have friends of all faiths and participate with them in various observances so I would become acquainted with their beliefs. I was raised a Methodist but attended Catholic school because the teaching was more advanced. When I switched from Catholic school to public school in the third grade I already knew cursive writing and had to start over again as the public school hadn't taught it yet. Same with math. When I was in Methodist Bible School we visited the local Jewish synagogue and learned about the Torah and about the common things that both Jews and Christians believe (the Old Testament). I also attended Baptist, Episcopalian and Unitarian churches as a child, learning something from each one.

A fictional book called "Lost Horizon" quoted a monk as saying, "We believe that belief in God is like a many-faceted jewel. Each different religion makes up one facet of the jewel. The jewel has facets and it is possible that many religions are moderately true." He also said, "Must we hold that because one religion is true, all others are bound to be false?"

Trivia: the monks lived in a place called "Shangri-la" (a made up word for the book). The book was written in the 30s. Franklin D. Roosevelt enjoyed the book so much that when reporters inquired where Jimmy Doolittle's bombers came from that were the first to hit mainland Japan in World War II, Roosevelt grinned and said they came from Shangri-la. The word stuck after that and is what we know it as today. As we know from our history, Doolittle's Raiders actually came from aircraft carriers on a one-way mission to bomb Japan very early in the war -- a tremendous psychological boost for us.

20 Nov 2010 12:59 #38 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

The Viking wrote:

outdoor338 wrote: then scruffy must have problems with the boy scouts, girl scouts, 4-H, meeting in public schools, I have been members of the boy scouts and 4-H, and we talked about God in our meetings, so should we exclude these groups as well? Just wondering.

And we need to ban the Pledge of Allegience, and All money exchanged in school since it says God on it and it may offend an athiest who has kids in school there. Plus we need to tear down the Washington monument and any other government tribute that has teh word God on it.

Wow. I cannot believe how hard it is to get this point across to you.

It's not about offending people. It's about forcing one religion onto another part of the population that may not want it.

Is that clear?

So you are OK with forcing athiests to use money that has the work God on it? And are you saying we should remove all signs of anything religious from all government buildings and monuments as not to offend those who don't believe in ANY God? Or are you just going after Christian symbols?

It's not like atheists and wiccans and pagans have a choice, now is there? Why does the God motto have to be there in the first place?

And for the last time, it is NOT ABOUT BEING OFFENDED. It is about a majority of citizens deciding that it's okay to force their religion on the minority. Keep religion private, okay? Not just Christianity, not just Muslim, not just Judasim....

20 Nov 2010 12:59 #39 by Wayne Harrison

The Viking wrote:

No I compared you using the argument "we've done it for decades" to something else we did for decades. The message I was trying to convey is, just because we've done something for decades doesn't make it right. It was not a comparison between Christmas carols and slavery, it was pointing out the "we've done it for decades" is a weak argument.

20 Nov 2010 13:01 #40 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

The Viking wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

Which one of us will be worse off if we are wrong? (And I'm not)

So you believe just to get a reward? You're doubling down on a bet just in case you might be wrong? You've chosen a religion based on fear of what happens in the afterlife? (If there is one?)

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds