Idea

28 Nov 2010 17:09 #11 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Idea

benri wrote: Thoughtful, non combative discussion would be refreshing! Perhaps some of the non or light poster contingent on this site might want to engage now & then.

Many of the current topics (not just in the courthouse) are driven or dissolve into the diatribe of the political personas, personal attacks and adolescent humor of the same old posters. I agree with CG, while it can be entertaining at times, it's bit much to wade through every time you might want to learn about something.

Just my two cents

Yeah, I agree. Most conversations here end up in insults and partisan attacks, along with party line canned responses. But the goal of this web site, as I understand it, was to be completely open and free, with moderation only for profanity and sexual innuendo. This is what you get when there's a free for all type of discussion board. You need to put up with trolls to get the freedom to speak your mind.

If anyone has a better idea.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Nov 2010 17:12 #12 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Idea

Local_Historian wrote:

CinnamonGirl wrote: Because some people don't want to go through posts that have nothing to so with the subject and want to have a real discussion. The ring has been spilling into the courthouse alot lately. There is a place for that, the ring. I would like to see the courthouse stay as serious discussion, That is how it was supposed to be originally. I like the idea. Something for everyone.

So put the hammer down if people misbehave in the courthouse.

Well, we don't like to hammer on anyone. LOL but only other thing we can do is have two discussions one in the ring and one in the courthouse. Alot of times we have to move the whole thing then the discussion gets lost in the ring. We have posted a few times that the courthouse is meant for discussion. Splitting them out is alot of work. We can do it but we would like to bring it up for discussion. We love input, remember. And then if we are all on the same page it will help the whole forum. :)

28 Nov 2010 17:26 #13 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Idea

Residenttroll wrote:

Teddy wrote:

JMC wrote: How about a forum for heavily moderated political discussion. No name calling , no stupid personal attacks , kind of an anti -ring? Serious only and a different level?

I think this would be a great idea as long as you ban Looney Jerk, archer, scruffy, VL, PineGuy and photo phissh :thumbsup:

If Eliminate that list of leftist whack jobs ...most of the others would be sheep repeating the Marxian Social National Barack Channel (MSNBC) and Peoples Broadcasting System (PBS) propagandistic leanings instead of HuffPo Alteryourmind.net and DailyKoolaid.

A Moderated board....I'll pass. PMS.

I agree, you can do it but I probably won't go in there much. I don't want to worry about what I am saying and if I am going to be scolded or shut down. Been there, done that. So will you delete posts if they get too heated in a political discussion? I think most everyone will get heated there no matter how bad you want it to stay nice. That is just the way politics are. Then you will just have to move it to the Ring. And I think the first time someone gets moderated, and a post and opinion deleted, those people will just start posting in the Ring. I know some people get a little out of control, but people like 285 because we can really state our opinion and say what we are thinking.

Go ahead and try it and see how it goes.

28 Nov 2010 17:34 #14 by benri
Replied by benri on topic Idea

Scruffy wrote:

benri wrote: Thoughtful, non combative discussion would be refreshing! Perhaps some of the non or light poster contingent on this site might want to engage now & then.

Many of the current topics (not just in the courthouse) are driven or dissolve into the diatribe of the political personas, personal attacks and adolescent humor of the same old posters. I agree with CG, while it can be entertaining at times, it's bit much to wade through every time you might want to learn about something.

Just my two cents

Yeah, I agree. Most conversations here end up in insults and partisan attacks, along with party line canned responses. But the goal of this web site, as I understand it, was to be completely open and free, with moderation only for profanity and sexual innuendo. This is what you get when there's a free for all type of discussion board. You need to put up with trolls to get the freedom to speak your mind.

Does it have to be moderated? Couldn't it be identified as a 'serious discussion only' thread and the posters would respect that? There is no open & free if a thread is highjacked. There should be room for all types of conversation.

28 Nov 2010 17:38 #15 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Idea

benri wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

Just my two cents

Does it have to be moderated? Couldn't it be identified as a 'serious discussion only' thread and the posters would respect that? There is no open & free if a thread is highjacked. There should be room for all types of conversation.

You've no doubt seen some of the posts here and how a single member can derail an intelligent conversation. I think that is their goal. I don't have any hope for self control.

28 Nov 2010 17:41 #16 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Replied by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa on topic Idea

Scruffy wrote: You've no doubt seen some of the posts here and how a single member can derail an intelligent conversation. I think that is their goal. I don't have any hope for self control.

Self-criticism is progress. :thumbsup:

28 Nov 2010 17:45 #17 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Idea

benri wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

Just my two cents

And who decides what is 'serious discusion'? I feel that almost all of my posts have been serious, but many who have different beliefs wouldn't think that. And same on the other side of the political spectrum. I think many on the left, even LJ feel their discusions are 'serious' but many think they are a joke and just trying to start an argument. SO who decides what the definition of 'serious' is?

I am fine with it, as I enjoy the ring but if I see people discusing things that I feel are 'untrue' and misleading, then I will jump in the courthouse and call them out on it as a 'serious discusion'.

And you say it doesn't have to be moderated, so how does it work if the discusion is getting out of control in there?

28 Nov 2010 17:48 #18 by benri
Replied by benri on topic Idea

Scruffy wrote:

benri wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

Just my two cents

You've no doubt seen some of the posts here and how a single member can derail an intelligent conversation. I think that is their goal. I don't have any hope for self control.

Is that a form of bullying...political or otherwise ...to dominate a site? just wondering.

28 Nov 2010 17:49 #19 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Idea
Just an area free of personal insults, we have plenty of opportunity in other areas. My thought was a forum that was strictly ideas.

28 Nov 2010 17:54 #20 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Idea

And who decides what is 'serious discusion'?

Viking it is not about serious it is about just discussion. You must know by now that we are not about judging content. It is about organization. When it turns into just gross pics and constant comments that have nothing to add to the conversation at hand it is hard to have real good discussion, we have a place for that. I have have seen some discussion in the ring, but you do have to wade through other stuff too. That is perfectly fine for me. But when you really want to talk and discuss, you should have a place for it. Let's have a place for both. The courthouse was set up for discussion. The last couple weeks it has slid. Just remember it is alot of work for us to move.

We are not about deciding what is discussion. In my mind, I am hoping that if we are all on the same page then you guys will post where you want to post and help us out.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds