Idea

28 Nov 2010 17:55 #21 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Idea

benri wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

benri wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

benri wrote: Thoughtful, non combative discussion would be refreshing! Perhaps some of the non or light poster contingent on this site might want to engage now & then.

Many of the current topics (not just in the courthouse) are driven or dissolve into the diatribe of the political personas, personal attacks and adolescent humor of the same old posters. I agree with CG, while it can be entertaining at times, it's bit much to wade through every time you might want to learn about something.

Just my two cents

Yeah, I agree. Most conversations here end up in insults and partisan attacks, along with party line canned responses. But the goal of this web site, as I understand it, was to be completely open and free, with moderation only for profanity and sexual innuendo. This is what you get when there's a free for all type of discussion board. You need to put up with trolls to get the freedom to speak your mind.

If anyone has a better idea.....

Does it have to be moderated? Couldn't it be identified as a 'serious discussion only' thread and the posters would respect that? There is no open & free if a thread is highjacked. There should be room for all types of conversation.

You've no doubt seen some of the posts here and how a single member can derail an intelligent conversation. I think that is their goal. I don't have any hope for self control.

Is that a form of bullying...political or otherwise ...to dominate a site? just wondering.

Maybe. Some insult so frequently that I'd say, yes, their intent is to bully others into silence. Otherwise, it's trolling for a reaction, which they usually get.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Nov 2010 17:56 #22 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Idea

CinnamonGirl wrote:

And who decides what is 'serious discusion'?

Viking it is not about serious it is about just discussion. You must know by now that we are not about judging content. It is about organization. When it turns into just gross pics and constant comments that have nothing to add to the conversation at hand it is hard to have real good discussion, we have a place for that. I have have seen some discussion in the ring, but you do have to wade through other stuff too. That is perfectly fine for me. But when you really want to talk and discuss, you should have a place for it. Let's have a place for both. The courthouse was set up for discussion. The last couple weeks it has slid. Just remember it is alot of work for us to move.

We are not about deciding what is discussion. In my mind, I am hoping that if we are all on the same page then you guys will post where you want to post and help us out.

I am looking forward to see how it works. :thumbsup:

28 Nov 2010 18:01 #23 by daisypusher
Replied by daisypusher on topic Idea
What I have seen is that some posters are very skilled at interjecting their personal insults on a forum that is about strictly ideas. Are you prepared to remove even the subtle insults...

28 Nov 2010 18:03 #24 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Idea
We would of course prefer everyone do it themselves. :) We won't remove them we will move them where they belong. We already do that and did not have to do much but last few weeks the Courthouse has had many more and spilled out from the Ring.

28 Nov 2010 18:07 #25 by Achmed
Replied by Achmed on topic Idea
Please pardon my saying but discussions here could be civilized and constructive if they followed the peace and love taught by Islam.

28 Nov 2010 18:18 #26 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Idea
worst idea ever..I'll pass

28 Nov 2010 18:20 #27 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Idea

daisypusher wrote: What I have seen is that some posters are very skilled at interjecting their personal insults on a forum that is about strictly ideas. .

Where does it say "that is about strictly ideas"? And what does that even mean?

28 Nov 2010 18:22 #28 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Idea

Achmed wrote: Please pardon my saying but discussions here could be civilized and constructive if they followed the peace and love taught by Islam.

rofllol :rofl :lol: Whatever!!! You putz!!! rofllol :rofl :lol:

28 Nov 2010 18:24 #29 by benri
Replied by benri on topic Idea
And who decides what is 'serious discusion'?
Maybe I am being too pedestrian
....what if I wanted to have a serious discussion about property tax valuations & assessments. Couldn't I as a poster request "SDOnly" and that would be respected by responding posters? You follow the Rules of the Ring, what about just common courtesy for serious discussion only threads?

And you say it doesn't have to be moderated, so how does it work if the discusion is getting out of control in there?[/quote]

Add an automatic survey or poll to these SDO's -- did the discussion provide new information, resources, etc., was this SDO thread driven off the track?
So when the thread ends this would provide transparency to the community how free & open the discussion went. No mod's needed.

28 Nov 2010 18:25 #30 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Idea

The Viking wrote:

Achmed wrote: Please pardon my saying but discussions here could be civilized and constructive if they followed the peace and love taught by Islam.

rofllol :rofl :lol: Whatever!!! You putz!!! rofllol :rofl :lol:

Hey! This is in the courthouse. You want to call Achmed a name, take it to the Ring!

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds